Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

Gary Rowetts comments...

“For all their clean sheets, defensively, we thought there were some opportunities having watched them.”

Kind of know what he means, we’re still vulnerable in certain situations, despite our good recent record. Have we had our fair share of luck in that department?

Perhaps time for Hanley to freshen things up a bit?

Oh and my personal opinion is Rowett was referring to the way we tend to play out from the back rather than commenting on our defensive prowess, as evidenced by the way Martin and Nugent (Then Winnall), played high up the pitch and closed our defence down.........

[quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]Oh and my personal opinion is Rowett was referring to the way we tend to play out from the back rather than commenting on our defensive prowess, as evidenced by the way Martin and Nugent (Then Winnall), played high up the pitch and closed our defence down.........[/quote]

Possibly that then, it would make sense. So our defensive record has made people sit up and take note. Perhaps we need to adjust slightly to prevent being predictable?

Defence doesnt need a personnel change but just for Tuesday it might be helpful to have Husband and Hanley in purely for some fresh legs.

What stood out to me today was that when we had a goal kick, there were at least 2, sometimes 3, Derby players on the edge of our area. Yet still Gunn tried to go short all the time, meaning we put ourselves in trouble quite often.

Rowett had obviously done his homework well

It is obvious now that the way we are set up we are more dangerous away from home. That said if the ref had been competent with the penalty decision and a mm difference when steipermann hit the underside of the bar then we would have been two up and we would have gone on to win. If you don''t take most of your chances then you will get results like today

I remember a few years ago Lambert got us to do similar against Rodgers Swansea- push up, prevent short goal kicks and make them go long which they couldn''t do.

I think we are just far too easy to play against. It takes 10 passes or so to get across the half way line, at which point the other team has got everybody back.

We then turn to statues with little movement and balls being played to feet. When we can’t go forwards we go sideways across the edge of the box over and over again until we lose the ball.

In the last 4 home games we have scored twice - both times after we have gone more direct because we are losing and desperate to get back into the game

I wasn''t at the game today so can''t really comment on what happened but it is bizarre to see we''ve not won a single game when we have more than 50% possession. It does seem when we have more of the ball we are too easy and predictable.

Not sure I buy that. More a case of not taking our chances today, along with a diabolical referee decision and obvious tiredness 65minutes onwards.

It does seem like there must be some link though- according to Squawka we''ve had 7 league games with over 50% possession- Fulham, Sunderland, Villa, Millwall, Burton, Hull and Derby.

Out of those 7 our record is won 0, drawn 3, lost 4, goals scored 6, goals conceded 15, points taken 3.

We''ve also had 7 leagues games with less than 50% possession- QPR, Birmingham Shef U, Reading, Bristol, Boro and Ipswich. In those games we''ve won 6, drawn 1, lost 0, scored 8, conceded 1 and picked up 18 points.

This seems a bit too big a difference to just be dismissed out of hand.

The home tactics are not working and need a re think and personally I thought Farke got it wrong with the subs yesterday when he took off Reed. Although we then got the goal we lost control of the midfield and our defence started to look shaky again like it did before the switch to two holding CMs.

I also think we''ve got away with a giving the oppo a few feee headers in the last two or three games which may be what he''s alluding to. Pinto is not great in the air at the far post,

That said we are still controlling and dominating these home games enough to win them and win them comfortably if we can up the intensity for longer periods. As it is it''s a bit too "easy" for the opposition to sit in and defend in the first half knowing that we are not going to really go at them. We also don''t currently have clinical enough finishers to rely on converting the one or two chances we seem to create in the first half of home games.

Agree with that Jim.

Out tactics were working in a similar way in that we limited their chances and managed to create openings for ourselves. We should have been ahead before thier goal. We missed a good chance, hit the bar and had an obvious pen.

If we had taken the lead we could look to manage the game just as we have been.

Taking Reed off lost us the control in the centre and although we scored we have to be honest and say Derby also had many more chances after he had departed.

Agree fatigue played a part but for me the game plan was working ok. I hope we don''t change it.

I agree taking Reed off wasnt necessarily the right decision. We did suddenly look very shaky at the back which kind of backs up what ive said before in that the main reason for our improved defence isnt the dropping of RM but the tactical and structural changes.

@king Actually i think you''re kind of right. A lot of our goals away from home are on the counter. When we have more possession those opportunities happen a lot less.

At the time Reed was taken off I could understand it. As some have said, we don’t always need two holding players, and Derby had just taken off Vydra and brought on Martin who was going to play deeper. Perhaps that decision actually showed that we do need two holding players unless we’re desperately chasing the game.

This is probably going to sound more negative than intended but...are we actually dominating and controlling these games? Or are the opposition just happy to let us have the ball, knowing they can sit back and less us pass in-front of them?

There is a difference between dominating possession and using it to frustrate the opposition and make them chase you to get the ball and what we''re doing at home now.

King gets it.

Teams will sit off us at home, knowing eventually that our sideways passing will bring us high up the pitch, leaving us vulnerable to a ball over the top.

Hull have exploited it, Derby have exploited it.

If you consider possession as the key to dominating games then yes we are - but we have proven that its meaningless without goals ourselves when we play away from Carrow Road.

@rogue

I feel like if I was an opposition manager coming to Carrow Road it would be quite simple to set up.

1- play a striker with some pace who can hang on the shoulder of the last defender and do some closing down of short passes from keeper to central defenders.

2- sit deep and not worry too much about pressing- let Norwich have the ball up to about 35 yards from goal.

3- when our passing breaks down be swift and direct with a couple of midfield runners getting forward to join the attack.

Exactly.

In the last 4 or 5 home games (from Birmingham onwards, the last time we scored either first, or in the first half, at home) we have had far more of the ball, but only seem to get 1 or 2 clear cut chances whilst dominating (Wildschut v Hull, Steipermann v Derby).

I just think we are far too easy to play against at home, we aren''t getting balls into the box, Jerome is getting pulled deep & wide & nobody is making the runs into the box like a Johnson or Howson did