Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Maddison called up to U21's

Of course So much work to do. He''s a kid and already is the centre of our play. If your play maker gives the ball away then the 6 defensive players should deal with it. Just enjoy him until he goes and sits on a bench. Which makes me feel sad.

Very promising young player, has the soft touch of the ball, tough kid too, takes his knocks well ( thanks Aberdeen). Has the potential to play at the level of Christian Erikson.  JM is our most valuable asset.By a country mile.

Out of interest, those of you who see so much potential in Maddison did you see the potential in Kane?

We did. Plenty thought he wasn''t up to much. I remember someone saying to me he would struggle in League 1.

he got injured and went back so not seen with my owns eyes but yes obvious talent from the media. Just wish he played a season for us.

quote "GJP" - He''s got the potential to play in the Premier League.

And he might get around the England squad.

But I don''t think you''re looking at a top 4 (or top 6) Prem player and England regular. - quote

So, by your reckoning, GJP, then Redmond will be a regular in the England squad, and he will be an effective, top 6 Prem team, player?

Also, how many mistakes does Redmond make, compared with how many positive contributions, over a 90 minute period?

I do think everyones got a little carried away with Maddison. Hes obviously talented and this call up is a credit to his recent performances.

No, I don''t see Redmond as reaching that level.

But he is plenty good enough to play in the Prem. Which Maddison might be too.

But I don''t think either of them are truly outstanding.

[quote user="GJP"]No, I don''t see Redmond as reaching that level.

But he is plenty good enough to play in the Prem. Which Maddison might be too.

But I don''t think either of them are truly outstanding.[/quote]Maddison not truly outstanding?  Just look at the way he holds on to the ball - no wonder he gets fouled so much - opposition players just can''t get the ball off him, he looks after it that well - and more often than not he passes accurately to one of our own players.  His ability and composure at free kicks and shooting opportunities is also top class, especially for one so young.   He still has a lot to learn, but the raw materials are there in spades - and he delivers too, which did not happen so much with Redmond at the same age.  

[quote user="Bradwell canary"]From a selflessness point of view, this will put his great talent even more in the shop window.

Does anyone out there know if this game will be on TV, I just love watching him play.

Amazing how the previous manager signed him and Prichard, both very talented, but in the main un used during his reign. What a waste![/quote]

You can add the technically talented Canos to that list also... With the type of football we play now, i''d have loved to see Canos in this set-up.

It wouldn''t surprise me that he and Alex Neil clashed when he first arrived, Neil just didn''t recognise creativity, individuality and wanted his team to toe the line. I think that''s why he alienated a number of senior players last season. However, sending him to Aberdeen probably focussed his mind. Would Neil Adams have arranged that?

Maddison has shades of Beckham in the way he plays - his balance, comfortable on the ball, always looking to do something positive, draws fouls, takes dangerous free kicks, scores goals.

Begs the question, do we play him and Pritchard in the same team with Murphy/Wildschut behind Oliveira/Jerome?

Lakey, would you put Maddison amongst the top 10 players in the country in the 19-21 age bracket?

He''s doing well for us but he''s not doing any better than Pritchard did for Brentford 3 years ago.

[quote user="GJP"]Lakey, would you put Maddison amongst the top 10 players in the country in the 19-21 age bracket?

He''s doing well for us but he''s not doing any better than Pritchard did for Brentford 3 years ago.[/quote]

In the top 10? Without a shadow of a doubt - and he will, injuries permitting, go on to play for a ''top 6'' club no question. He''s probably English footballs hottest prospect in his position surely. Each to their own, but to me it''s obvious that he''s in that extremely gifted bracket, some players have that standout unexplainable magic ''thing'' about themselves. So no comparison to Redmond for me - he is a good player but Maddison''s a special player, a class above already - and I think nearly all Canaries would agree with that.

So you''d put him up there with the likes of Sane, Gabriel Jesus, Winks, Rashford etc?

Amongst the very top young players.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5044853/THE-SECRET-SCOUT-Norwich-s-James-Maddison.html

Seems the word is getting out...

[quote user="GJP"]So you''d put him up there with the likes of Sane, Gabriel Jesus, Winks, Rashford etc?

Amongst the very top young players.[/quote]

I said ENGLISH so absolutely, I put him right up there with Winks and Rashford.

Both of those players have played a hell lot more than Madders, 29 and 53 games respectively and at a higher level for a much bigger club. Maddison has only played 13 for us (I believe?). Maddison is looking very good in a Championship side finding its feet in a new system and new management to be fair.

[quote user="AJ"]Both of those players have played a hell lot more than Madders, 29 and 53 games respectively and at a higher level for a much bigger club. Maddison has only played 13 for us (I believe?). Maddison is looking very good in a Championship side finding its feet in a new system and new management to be fair.[/quote]

That doesn''t really mean anything, AJ. By your reckoning, a 20 year old Ronaldo or Messi (and NO, I''m not saying Madder''s is in that bracket!) breaking through into the first team in the second tier would be lesser players on the basis that they''ve not played 20 more games for a bigger club... it doesn''t mean anything! No one can tell me or prove to me with certainty that James Maddison is a lesser player than Marcus Rashford etc, the technique and skill that boy possesses is absolutely top drawer. He will be a top top player - please bookmark this thread and bring it back to the top in 2 or 3 years and then we''ll see. He will be playing for a top 6 Prem club I have no doubt.

If you said to Real Madrid, Barca or Bayern Munich you can have one of Rashford or Maddison which one are they taking?

[quote user="GJP"]If you said to Real Madrid, Barca or Bayern Munich you can have one of Rashford or Maddison which one are they taking?[/quote]

Neither, I''d sign Lovren from Liverpool because he''s played more games at a massive club - and that makes him automatically better 😉👍