Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Maddison called up to U21's

Whilst it’s great for him and fully deserved, I am a bit unhappy too as I think he needs a rest more than anyone else currently, as we have become so reliant on him this season.

Enjoy him whilst we can because I think he will be playing in the Premier League next season and definitely not for us, sadly!

Makes me chuckle how you can be a young player with just a handful of appearances for a premiership club (some premiership clubs) and get a full England cap, but in the championship you can only get as high as the U21''s.

I wonder if Maddison was a spurs player, for example, and had half a dozen sub appearances behind him, and had performed no better or no worse than he has for us this season, whether or not he''d be in the senior squad. We''ll never know of course, but I suspect he might.

Either way, congratulations madders. Just don''t leave us too soon to be a premiership bench warmer. If your agent suggests it''s, tell him to do one or at least go and see Webber for a rise

From a selflessness point of view, this will put his great talent even more in the shop window.

Does anyone out there know if this game will be on TV, I just love watching him play.

Amazing how the previous manager signed him and Prichard, both very talented, but in the main un used during his reign. What a waste!

Absolutely stunning that he hasn''t been called up before this to be honest. Agree he could do with a break but massive honour for him and nice to see home get some of the recognition his performances have warranted. He is a huge talent.

Not really. England have had some good lads in there playing for bigger clubs and/or at higher levels than what Maddison has done until recently.

So now he''s earnt his shot.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Great for the lad (and the club) to get the recognition, but for NCFC it might have been better if he''d had a break.[/quote]I don''t know about that.  He will be training on a different level and that can only help us, with the extra experience and confidence he will gain.  As for having a break, it is not as if he wouldn''t be training if he was in Norwich and he is unlikely to play that many minutes for the U21''s, but even if he does feature, what he gains can only be a good thing for himself and us.

[quote user="GJP"]Not really. England have had some good lads in there playing for bigger clubs and/or at higher levels than what Maddison has done until recently.

So now he''s earnt his shot.[/quote]

This with the add on: its time to prove he''s better than all of them.

He may get tapped up I suppose but to be fair to him, he could be playing at a higher standard.

The lad is the most talented we have had on our books for a long long time and admiring his confidence in his own ability makes me wish he had been playing last season.

We might not have been promoted even with him but the entertainment, especially at Carrow Road, would have been so good.

Tbf, they play in different positions, but, for their individual contributions to the team, then I would definitely put Maddison in front of Redmond.

Time will tell but I suspect they are going to be at similar levels.

[quote user="GJP"]I wouldn''t put him ahead of Redmond.[/quote]
Me neither.
Redmond is a wonderful player on his day, but tends to go missing a fair bit too. Maddison is a bit more consistent and dominates games regularly in a way that Redmond only does when he''s on top form (although having said that, Redmond was dominating games for Birmingham at a similar age to Maddison).
I''d still give Maddison the edge but he needs to continue to prove it for longer than a few months before I''ll say he has more potential than Redmond.

I live on king street and take my kids to the free reserve matches so ive seen the young talent. No one who has played for Norwich in the last 10 years has what Maddison imho.

GJP really? let me ask u all a question please? if on Saturday if Manchester city announced their starting attacking mid was James Maddison do u think he would let them down?

[quote user="mastoola"]I live on king street and take my kids to the free reserve matches so ive seen the young talent. No one who has played for Norwich in the last 10 years has what Maddison imho.[/quote]I doubt I''ve seen as much reserve football as you have, but everything I have seen leads me to the same conclusion. From what I heard he was a bit too big for his boots originally when he was sent out on loan, but certainly appears to have got his head in the right place. His footballing ability will take him a long way, but if he can keep control of his ego then I genuinely believe he will be a full England international within a couple of years.

Yes. Of course he would. And that''s no disgrace - Man City are the best side in the country and have the best player in the country (KDB). He''s nowhere near that level.

He''s a talented player but the reality is he''s had a handful of good games in the Championship and a couple of not so good ones.

We''re looking at a good player. Not a world beater.

[quote user="GJP"]Yes. Of course he would. And that''s no disgrace - Man City are the best side in the country and have the best player in the country (KDB). He''s nowhere near that level.

He''s a talented player but the reality is he''s had a handful of good games in the Championship and a couple of not so good ones.

We''re looking at a good player. Not a world beater.[/quote]I think if you dropped anyone into a completely new team overnight they would struggle, irrespective of the quality around them. I don''t think the Man City analogy is a particularly good one, but I would certainly consider Maddison to be better than a ''good'' player. His movement, awareness and technique put him way above anyone else in our squad in terms of potential. He will play at the highest level in my opinion.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]Great for the lad (and the club) to get the recognition, but for NCFC it might have been better if he''d had a break.[/quote]I don''t know about that.  He will be training on a different level and that can only help us, with the extra experience and confidence he will gain.  As for having a break, it is not as if he wouldn''t be training if he was in Norwich and he is unlikely to play that many minutes for the U21''s, but even if he does feature, what he gains can only be a good thing for himself and us.

[/quote]

So why is he likely to not get many minutes LDC? Do tell how you are privy to such information?

Feed the wolf. Indeed EGO is everything! but u r right he seems to have dealt with it. I never post on forums but this kid is special very special. God knows how we got him.

GJP if in world beater as Ronaldo then maybe no but as in playing in a team with him then who knows.

He''s got the potential to play in the Premier League.

And he might get around the England squad.

But I don''t think you''re looking at a top 4 (or top 6) Prem player and England regular.

Time will tell. But based on what I''ve seen of him, I''d definitely say he has the potential to do just that. A lot of factors need to come to pass (good mental attitude, staying injury free, moving to the right club at the right time), but I don''t think it''d take a ridiculous amount of luck for him to be playing in Europe and be a regular in the England squad.

I think there''s a bit of work to do.

I mean yes he''s scored 3 cracking goals which have caught the eye. But he''s also given the ball away twice leading to goals in recent home matches and it would have been a third time but for a poor finish from Wolves.