Sign in to follow this  
SeattleCanary

Rivvo

Rivvo is great.

He calls a lot of things right.

But you can also tells he cares about Norwich.

Of the regulars there are a couple of other popular former players who clearly don''t have the same love for the club but make out they do for the sake of their careers.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Where is the debt free line?

At the minute we have 4 or 5 was players worth 10million+

I can see most of those leaving in the summer (if not January) - Oliveira was courted in the summer. Klose would be good for any lower half Prem team. Maddison has made too much of an impression to go under the radar. Pritchard has obviously Premier League quality.

Once they goes what happens? The squad will be weaker, the scouting will have to go into overdrive to keep unearthing the next Zimmerman and Trybulls, plus the players we have sold need replacing. We will still be stuck with high earners and older players until contracts are up if we can find somebody to sell them too.

I just can’t see a self funding club model ever working - by working I mean challenging for promotion. It seems more we would get sucked into an Ipswich style model where anybody of any quality is soon shipped out just to get us by[/quote]

Exactly! Nail. On. Head.

You can’t run if you chip your legs off constantly. We will stagnate, and the whole thing smells of club giving up.

Unless we sneak promotion through the playoffs this is our future as a "self funding" (for that read fans funding as the owners are no longer putting anything in at all and im sure enjoy their club funded jollys every saturday) club with no debt. We will have to sell anyone decent to make ends meet. We may get lucky from time to time and find an exceptional coach or batch of kids who get us up but when up there we won''t invest enough to stay there.

Fret not. Everything will fall into place once Tom takes the reigns 😄

The better players all pre the new philosophy.

I don’t see us making a return on this summers “bargains”. Only one window, but given the player turnover I hoped to see better business than in the past. If we have to sell to survive, Webber had better book his ideas up in January.

"Unless we sneak promotion through the playoffs this is our future as a "self funding" (for that read fans funding as the owners are no longer putting anything in at all and im sure enjoy their club funded jollys every saturday) club with no debt. We will have to sell anyone decent to make ends meet. We may get lucky from time to time and find an exceptional coach or batch of kids who get us up but when up there we won''t invest enough to stay there."

This kind of sums it up for me. The problem with this model is the margins for error are so tight that you can barely afford one mis-step. It already looks like one of our more expensive signings (Franke) is unlikely to offer any return on investment.

With our budgets and turnover of players we can''t afford the sort of transfer hit rate that we''ve had in recent years if we''re to have any sniff of the play-offs. A lot of the onus falls on Webber for this but there is only so much you can do with limited funds.