Sign in to follow this  
SeattleCanary

Rivvo

On canary call. Always think he talks sense, as he’s saying we shouldn’t be a selling club and I agree wholeheartedly. He said that when he was with Crewe they were a selling club and went from championship contenders with Ashton to where they are in league two now. He said we will just potter along, and I fully agree. A club like Norwich with 25,000+ watching weeek in week out should be contending at the top of the league. Says Edd Balls and everything he comes out with is dreamland stuff. Says everything I agree with.

Yeah he says brilliant things but the problem is half of it is horribly unrealistic. Easy to say when none of the responsibility is on you - just look at this forum for key examples!

Every club outside of the top 6 is a selling club. The questions are...

1) Are we able to make sure we get the best deals for our players always?

2) Are we able to reinvest enough of what we make through player sales?

For 1 I''d say yes, probably.

For 2 I''d say no.

Football finances have changed an awful lot from the days that he was at Crewe. The truth is bums on seats is a small part of the revenue when you are in the Prem and it goes down when you are in the Championship, as demonstrated by the latest accounts. Norwich have always been a selling club in the time I have supported them (started in 1972) and I suspect they always will be......

[quote user="Capt. Pants"]£2.7m in debt and no parachute payment next year. Good luck with that.[/quote]

Which as he stated is due to signing the wrong players and on high wages, and not replacing leaders like BJ. That’s why we’re 2.7m in debt mate. Terrible mismanagement of recruitment, and player wages etc. he talks sense actually.

The teams that go up build a strong squad of quality players. If we offload every single bit of quality as soon as it shows a little bit of promise we’ll stagnate and go nowhere. Let’s face it, we don’t unearth too many gems, so using money from players sold has shown we normally waste it. League one beckons on this model.

As much as Norwich have been a selling club, in recent years it’s mostly been on our terms. So I agree outside the top six yes everyone sells, but he said 12m for Jacob wasn’t exactly huge money, and I agree. Young, still promising, other clubs would’ve got more for an England U21.

I jokingly stated that he club needs to put the price of season tickets up for 2018-19 by 20%.......If we finish mid-table this season would the support be happy with a price increase? Although, not something as ridiculous as 20% but an increase of a few percent?......We haven''t had a price increase for a few seasons now, so would it be justified to put the prices up to put more money in the club coffers?

As we don''t have any investment.......

[quote user="Mello Yello"]I jokingly stated that he club needs to put the price of season tickets up for 2018-19 by 20%.......If we finish mid-table this season would the support be happy with a price increase? Although, not something as ridiculous as 20% but an increase of a few percent?......We haven''t had a price increase for a few seasons now, so would it be justified to put the prices up to put more money in the club coffers?

As we don''t have any investment.......[/quote]

Throw your question back at you… Would you trust them with extra money right now? They have a pretty solid track record of wasting it on expensive injury prone players, or cheap ineffective passengers.

We have no better or worse record when it comes to signing players than the majority of other similarly sized clubs.

It''s not a question of trust......more of a necessity for the future......and I would like to see an investor and change of the current board......

[quote user="hogesar"]We have no better or worse record when it comes to signing players than the majority of other similarly sized clubs.[/quote]

On what facts do you base that opinion?

I’d say that’s irrelevant, because what other clubs do doesn’t affect our position in the league, and which league we are in. I would argue that other similar sized clubs have not had the benefit of 4 premier league seasons worth of income in the past seven seasons, and if they would have, they would likely have built on it better than we have.

We have squandered the opportunities that we have been afforded, and clubs like Brighton, Palace, Bournemouth and Huddersfield are currently running their clubs a lot better from top to bottom than we are.

Problem is that it''s not just the view of the fans and the club that needs to be considered. You have to take account of the player''s needs.  I can''t see us holding on to Maddison as he will want to progress his career as well.  Can''t blame him as player''s only have a short time to make their mark.  We will always lose the good players and we will keep those who are not performing (supply and demand laws apply.  We need to change that model and stop buying expensive older players, happy to sit in the physio room pulling in a ridiculous wage and get better at developing the young talent that we already have. 

[quote user="Mello Yello"]It''s not a question of trust......more of a necessity for the future......and I would like to see an investor and change of the current board......[/quote]

I think before people start handing over more money there would have to be a change in the current board, and majority shareholder. We could have all the money in the world, but if we don’t spend it wisely what’s the point?

[quote user="Mello Yello"]And Rob Butler interrupted and stopped Rivo stating his opinion.......[/quote]Because Rob Butler is one of the club ''darlings''.... that and if Radio Norfolk pee the club off he has questions answer as the man running canary call.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="Capt. Pants"]£2.7m in debt and no parachute payment next year. Good luck with that.[/quote]

Which as he stated is due to signing the wrong players and on high wages, and not replacing leaders like BJ. That’s why we’re 2.7m in debt mate. Terrible mismanagement of recruitment, and player wages etc. he talks sense actually.

The teams that go up build a strong squad of quality players. If we offload every single bit of quality as soon as it shows a little bit of promise we’ll stagnate and go nowhere. Let’s face it, we don’t unearth too many gems, so using money from players sold has shown we normally waste it. League one beckons on this model.

As much as Norwich have been a selling club, in recent years it’s mostly been on our terms. So I agree outside the top six yes everyone sells, but he said 12m for Jacob wasn’t exactly huge money, and I agree. Young, still promising, other clubs would’ve got more for an England U21.[/quote]I said at the time we should have got no less than £15m for Jake. I''m not sure if that transfer fee is included in the accounts just published or if it will be in next years. If it is the former would we have not made a loss, but a small profit?

The current majority shareholding duo can now relax......They initially kindly put their money into the bottomless pit as did Micky Chicken.......They''ve now got their money back and don''t have to thrust their hands into their purses or pockets anymore to fund and finance the club they adore, attending the games both home an'' away and enjoying the footy......and food........and friends......

I still though, (as many others do) have to continually thrust my hard working hands into my pockets, as I have done for the last 3 decades to attend home games........(away games are a treat).......football ain''t cheap......however rich or poor you are......

Assuming we don''t get promotion, if we don''t sell players we will go bust as we could not afford the wage bill.In the long run, if we don''t sell players it will be much harder to attract who are in demand because we would have to greatly reduce the wage bill. In effect, selling one or two players a year will subsidise the pay of buying and keeping promising youngsters, as well keeping our other top players.

Any transfers from the previous window will be shown in the next set of accounts I believe - although as transfer fees are staggered I’m not sure if the full amounts get shown

@Badger

That doesn''t make sense. The players we will need to sell in order to reduce the wage bill and possibly subsidise other transfers will be our best players, so it is hardly going to help us keep them.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="Capt. Pants"]£2.7m in debt and no parachute payment next year. Good luck with that.[/quote]

As much as Norwich have been a selling club, in recent years it’s mostly been on our terms. So I agree outside the top six yes everyone sells, but he said 12m for Jacob wasn’t exactly huge money, and I agree. Young, still promising, other clubs would’ve got more for an England U21.[/quote]Agree with all this. But I can''t see the current Board and owner racking up debt, selling club or not.

Where is the debt free line?

At the minute we have 4 or 5 was players worth 10million+

I can see most of those leaving in the summer (if not January) - Oliveira was courted in the summer. Klose would be good for any lower half Prem team. Maddison has made too much of an impression to go under the radar. Pritchard has obviously Premier League quality.

Once they goes what happens? The squad will be weaker, the scouting will have to go into overdrive to keep unearthing the next Zimmerman and Trybulls, plus the players we have sold need replacing. We will still be stuck with high earners and older players until contracts are up if we can find somebody to sell them too.

I just can’t see a self funding club model ever working - by working I mean challenging for promotion. It seems more we would get sucked into an Ipswich style model where anybody of any quality is soon shipped out just to get us by

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Where is the debt free line?

At the minute we have 4 or 5 was players worth 10million+

I can see most of those leaving in the summer (if not January) - Oliveira was courted in the summer. Klose would be good for any lower half Prem team. Maddison has made too much of an impression to go under the radar. Pritchard has obviously Premier League quality.

Once they goes what happens? The squad will be weaker, the scouting will have to go into overdrive to keep unearthing the next Zimmerman and Trybulls, plus the players we have sold need replacing. We will still be stuck with high earners and older players until contracts are up if we can find somebody to sell them too.

I just can’t see a self funding club model ever working - by working I mean challenging for promotion. It seems more we would get sucked into an Ipswich style model where anybody of any quality is soon shipped out just to get us by[/quote]

4 or 5 players worth 10 million? In your dreams! Maddison maybe but none of the others are worth that much, who’s going to pay big bucks for Olivera with his current injury record? Also there’s no guarantee Pritchard will come back firing is there?

[quote user="king canary"]@Badger

That doesn''t make sense. The players we will need to sell in order to reduce the wage bill and possibly subsidise other transfers will be our best players, so it is hardly going to help us keep them.[/quote]But without having the higher wage budget we would not have them in the first place! Players know their "going rate" and if we have no way of subsidising the wage budget, they will not come. Furthermore, they will not sign contract renewals and we will lose them for nothing (or for a tribunal fee for the younger ones).

Oliveira was touted with a move to several clubs. The top line for a Champs striker atm is £15mil, £12million is probably where he’s at

Maddison is hard to value, but certainly more than 10million

Klose would only move to a Prem team so we should hold out for as much as possible

Pritchard I agree may not come back at the same level, but I though the whole point of the operation was to get rid of the niggling injury.

Below that, there is Murphy who could reach his brothers level but seems a long way off