Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Your Norwich City Dream Team?

What would your Dream Team be? Mine would probably look a bit like this. Difficult to get balance between personal favourites and legends. I have only been able to include players I watched play, so players like Bruce/Watson etc cant be in my line-up. I really struggled with centre-backs, even thought of putting Dion there. We''ve had some long-serving ones, but I never really rated a lot of them so they''re not in my line up. Bassong makes my line-up. He was simply the best-centre-back I have ever seen in a Norwich shirt. I have chosen to ignore the fact he was also the worst centre-back I have ever seen in a Norwich shirt! Who makes your line-up?

Gunn

Martin MacKay Bassong Bowen

Crook

Ruel Huckerby

Hoolahan

Holt Iwan

Subs: Ruddy, Drury, Johnson, Eadie, Goss, Bellamy, Sutton

Damn formatting. Crook meant as a regista and Hoolahan a trequartista. Ruel and Hucks as Wide midfielders.

And yes, Im aware I''ve not included a CB on the bench, and that this team/formation would get killed in reality!

GK - Fraser Forster

RB - Ian Culverhouse

CB - Malky Mackay

CB - Ian Butterworth

LB - Adam Drury

RM - Ruel Fox

CM - Ian Crook

CM - Jonny Howson

LM - Darren Eadie

ST - Grant Holt

ST - Chris Sutton

Keelan

Culverhouse

Watson

Polston

Bowen

Huckerby

Crook

Eadie

Phelan

Drinkell

Sutton

Subs

Woods, Butterworth, Francis, Fox, Wes, Bellamy, MacDougall

A bit difficult to do a complete dream team as I''ve only seen(/can really remember) players from the mid-90''s onward. From that I''d probably go with;

GK: Green - Mainly for the memories, our play-off final run and then promotion resulting in 12 England appearances.

RB: R. Martin - On his day definitely our best option at RB in this era, a fantastic stalwart for the club and a very consistent performer.

CB: Malky - One of our biggest problems was never replacing this mountain of a man once we got promoted.

CB: Fleming - Along with Malky, surely the best pairing we''ve had in recent years. If Bassong had have been more consistent, he might have been in with a shout too.

LB: Drury - Our best LB in my era by a long way.

RM: Eadie - Baggs of quality sadly ended by injuries but a very good player for us.

CM: Gary Holt - Probably not the best midfielder to choose, but as far as DM''s go he

CM: Wes - Magic

LM: Hux - Nothing needed to say

CF: Roberts - Roberts or Dublin? Roberts for me given Dublin was past his best when he graced us.

CF: Grant Holt - Absolute legend

For  a 4231 formation - across the generations and not necessarily my favourites -                        KeelanCulverhouse Butterworth Bruce Bowen                   Phelan Crook      Gordon    Maddison    Huckerby                          Holt                

[quote user="lake district canary"]For  a 4231 formation - across the generations and not necessarily my favourites -                        KeelanCulverhouse Butterworth Bruce Bowen                   Phelan Crook      Gordon    Maddison    Huckerby                          Holt                 [/quote]

Keelan

Culverhouse Newsome Linighan Bowen

Gordon Crook Townsend Huckerby

Fleck Sutton

Obviously most on here have never heard of

Bobby Brennan

Kevin Keelan

Ken Nethercott

Noel Kinsey

Martin Peters

Ron Davies

Ted MacDougal

The list of the NCFC class players from the past is endless and to think we paid 8 million plus for Naismith

4-4-2.Chris WoodsIan CulverhouseDave WatsonSteve BruceMark BowenMartin PetersPeter MendhamIan CrookDarren EadieKevin DrinkellChris SuttonBryan GunnJohn RyanAndy LinighanAndy TownsendDarren HuckerbyRobert FleckDean Ashton

Here goes

Woods

Culverhouse Watson Bruce Bowen

Neighbour Crook Peters Huckerby

Holt sutton

*This is only of interest to the old codgers*
We pick the dream team once a season at Still On The Ball but only consider players from the 50s, 60s and 70s. The latest one was this : -
Nethercott
Machin McCrohan Forbes Ashman
Gavin Lucas Peters Brennan
Bly MacDougal
My biggest surprise in that was Mal Lucas. Good player though.

A pretty good dream (or nightmare, depending on your view) team can be made up of the players sold for big money during the Chase era:WoodsCulverhouse, Watson, Bruce, PhillipsFox, Phelan, Townsend, GordonFleck, SuttonWith the likes of Linighan, Newsome, Butterworth and Drinkell on the bench.

Keegan

Stringer Forbes Bruce Drury

Neighbour Peters Hoolahan Woods

MacDougall Boyer

What a great partnership that front two were

Subs Gunn Bowen Watson Fox Sutton Bellamy Hockey

Woods

Culverhouse

Linighan

Bruce

Bowen

Gordon

Crook

Phelan

Huckerby

Sutton

Drinkell

Gunn, Williams, Fox(R), Watson, Hoolahan, Channon, Holt

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]A pretty good dream (or nightmare, depending on your view) team can be made up of the players sold for big money during the Chase era:WoodsCulverhouse, Watson, Bruce, PhillipsFox, Phelan, Townsend, GordonFleck, SuttonWith the likes of Linighan, Newsome, Butterworth and Drinkell on the bench.[/quote]

Mr Phillips wasn''t a left-back.

Given the difficulty of rating players from different era''s and different levels I have gone for this lot and would pay good money to see them together in their prime.Kevin KeelanIan Culverhouse Barry ButlerAndy LinniganMark BowenRuel FoxMartin PetersJimmy HillDarren HuckerbyTed McDougallRon Davies.Impossible to be definitive but I could probably pick another three teams just as good.

[quote user="daly"]Obviously most on here have never heard of

Bobby Brennan

Kevin Keelan

Ken Nethercott

Noel Kinsey

Martin Peters

Ron Davies

Ted MacDougal

The list of the NCFC class players from the past is endless and to think we paid 8 million plus for Naismith[/quote]

I am lucky to have seen all but on play, Noel Kinsey

[quote user="Kidderminster Exile"] I am lucky to have seen all but on play, Noel Kinsey[/quote]

Same here KE. My dad you to speak about him a lot, a clever inside forward (as they were called in those days)I missed him by a season, he left end of 52/53 and to the best of my recollection I went from 53/54 (lost in the mists of time)[:D]

Of the players I’ve watched I’d go for:

Green; Kenton, Mackay, Fleming, Drury; Eadie, Francis, Howson, Huckerby; Hoolahan; Holt

Subs: Ruddy, R. Martin, Olsson, Mulryne, Tettey, Bellamy, Roberts.

Not the greatest team but some of my favourites, would of liked Dean Ashton in there but 12months if service can’t get past the 3 forwards already there and also would’ve liked Bryan Gunn but only saw him play once in my second game against Forest. A 0-0 draw and Gunn was outstanding saving 3 or 4 shits right on the line even at the very end of his career.

Green

Fleming

Mackay

Drury

Martin

Holt

Wes

Eadie

Hucks

Iwan

Holt

Notable Subs: Ruddy, Nedergaard, Johnson, Jerome, Ashton

Kevin KeelanIan Culverhouse Maurice NormanBarry ButlerMark BowenRuel FoxMartin PetersGraham PaddonDarren HuckerbyPhil BoyerRon Davies

[quote user="ricardo"]Very similar to mine Lapps.[/quote]Yes, I just tweaked yours a bit. Just felt I had to put Norman in there, although he only played 35 games for us, he was part of that great Spurs double winning team and also played over 20 times for England. A class act.Boyer was my all time favourite player and he would have fitted in with any of our greatest strikers.And Paddon? I''m amazed nobody has included him up till now.

Mine will be a variation of the "old gets" choices we have available. Obviously younger members wouldn''t have seen as many.

Keelan (I am his Grandad)

Back three

Stringer Watson Butler

Middle five

Machin Bryceland Crook Anderson Bowen

Front two

Davies MacDougall