Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Baboon

Hypothetical Investment Question Time

Mike Ashley sells Newcastle next month. He decides to takeover a different club in order to make a profit over the next 10years. He approaches Delia and asks her to name her price.

Would you urge her to accept his offer?

He may not be popular, but would invest the money in order for us to compete, and it would be in his interest to make us as successful as possible in order or him to see the bigger return on his investment

[quote user="Herman"]I''d rather League 1 than that poor excuse for a human.[/quote]Absolutely this.

I agree with both of the posters above. In any case, I don''t agree with your assumption - he has kept a tight control on Newcastle''s spending (perhaps after an initial flurry).

Hypothetically what would people think if the club were to be handed over to some potless, clueless relation to a board member that literally had nothing to bring to the table? I’d rather league 1 than that....

Hypothetically! So it hasn’t happened just like the op...

[quote user="JF"]Hypothetically! So it hasn’t happened just like the op...[/quote]
Hypothetically it could happen just as we return to the PL. While you scratch about looking for a League One club. Blackburn are interesting. They got owners with loadsa dosh who had never set foot in Lancashire. I know that ''cause I read it on here....

And that’s all it is, hypothetical. It’s not as if someone would be so ridiculously naive as to hand over a professional football club into the hands of any Tom, Dick or Harry, is it! Who on Earth in their right mind would do that!? Speaking of any Tom, Dick or Harry, apparently Delia has a nephew called Tom, Hypothetically who would you rather see own the club? The billionaire Ashley who has years of experience at running a football club, or Delias Nephew, who has.... well he has... ummm... anyway it’s all hypothetical and I’d rather neither but in that hypothetical scenario you’d have to go with the billionaire, wouldn’t you?

[quote user="JF"]And that’s all it is, hypothetical. It’s not as if someone would be so ridiculously naive as to hand over a professional football club into the hands of any Tom, Dick or Harry, is it! Who on Earth in their right mind would do that!? Speaking of any Tom, Dick or Harry, apparently Delia has a nephew called Tom, Hypothetically who would you rather see own the club? The billionaire Ashley who has years of experience at running a football club, or Delias Nephew, who has.... well he has... ummm... anyway it’s all hypothetical and I’d rather neither but in that hypothetical scenario you’d have to go with the billionaire, wouldn’t you?[/quote]
The thing is JF, it''s all hypothetical because you don''t know. The only thing I''d say with any certainty is if it works out as badly as you hypothetically imagine I''ll be seeing a lot more of you and that will be like a silver lining because I enjoy these little chats[;)]

Anybody would be better than the people we have now who put absolutely nothing into the club and are quite happy to see it drop into league one as long as they still have a toy to play with . Might as well let the club go to the wall than end up a poor mans Ipswich . Delia Smith fan of the club ? nope any fan would want the best for the club and the best for the club is her selling , if only her bank balance was as big as her ego .

[quote user="nutty nigel"]You''d rather league one than what we have. Really? That''s the strangest one yet...[/quote]

Didn’t the current owners progress us into League One 😜

like him or not the guy does good businessand he has something that delia doesntenough money to finance a modern day top flight football clubbite his hand off

Hypothetical or not

Delia''s old man stated he would not sell to a Chinaman, Indian or American so cannot imagine a Spiv being entertained.

Stiff upper limit for us in Div 1 or The Championship

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Mike Ashley sells Newcastle next month. He decides to takeover a different club in order to make a profit over the next 10years. He approaches Delia and asks her to name her price.

Would you urge her to accept his offer?

He may not be popular, but would invest the money in order for us to compete, and it would be in his interest to make us as successful as possible in order or him to see the bigger return on his investment[/quote]I think that''s all we need to know

I think that''s all we need to know

Why? Delia and her husbands shares in the club are now worth significantly more than their initial investment

Does it matter? Is someone we’re to buy them out, make the club more successful and the profit from that success then good luck to them. Either way the result is the same, the owners wealth has increased

[quote user="JF"]Does it matter? Is someone we’re to buy them out, make the club more successful and the profit from that success then good luck to them. Either way the result is the same, the owners wealth has increased[/quote]If I have to explain it to you then......

So just to get this straight, what we’re saying is that we’re happy for Delia and her husbands investment to rise significantly, and if they were to sell, make millions out of their investment for overseeing a very average, in terms of success, ownership of the club. But if an outsider 😡 were to come in and put their money where their mouth is, deliver a successful, established team and then sell their investment, making millions, we’re not happy with that? Gotcha 👍🏻

No, that is what you are saying...........unless you can quote where that scenario and words have been stated on this thread

I’m replying in the context that the original post was meant, it’s quite clear if you read it. You took issue with the person in question profiting from the club

No, you are not as you well knowAnd please address what I actually said not what you imagineWhat I pointed out was the intent. Making a profit is not dependent upon the success of the club, it is you that keeps claiming that.Take a look at the paupers down the A140, and numerous other clubs where the owner has made a profit to the detriment of the club.Which goes back to my first post - the intent.What is being offered is exactly what the Oystons did th Blackpool... came in with the idea of making a profit, which they did.

Yes I will happily agree with you that we wouldn’t want owners like that. They are not all bad eggs though

[quote user="JF"]So just to get this straight, what we’re saying is that we’re happy for Delia and her husbands investment to rise significantly, and if they were to sell, make millions out of their investment for overseeing a very average, in terms of success, ownership of the club. But if an outsider 😡 were to come in and put their money where their mouth is, deliver a successful, established team and then sell their investment, making millions, we’re not happy with that? Gotcha 👍🏻[/quote]Leaving aside your highly tendentious view of how Norwich City have fared under Smith and Jones'' ownership, there is a difference in your contrasted example.No-one seriously thinks Smith and Jones put their money (probably about half their wealth, which is a massive percentage) into the club in the expectation they would get it back, let alone make a profit. Whereas the argument is that the hypothetical outsider would only buy the club on the basis that they expected to make money out of their investment, with the possible dangers that might entail.

I’d say it was a very accurate description of their ownership. 21 seasons (I think) 2 successful seasons in the PL, 2 relegations from the PL, a relegation to league 1, 2 play off finals, automatic promotion, no cup runs and many years struggling in the chamionship. I didn’t say it hasn’t been fun. But there is very little real success there