Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Pants

Oliveira?

Must admit I missed the moment he went down. Was it a knock/challenge, groin or something else? Massive blow if he is sidelined for weeks.

Looked like he just pulled up, for me bringing him on was a big mistake after Farke saying he wasn’t fit, should have brought Watkins on instead I thought

Heard after match it was his calf and not ground again, so a different injury.

Not sure if that''s a good or bad thing. Obviously bad he''s injured again.

I said we could pay dearly for the lack of proven strikers in our squad when the window closed. Now looks like I could sadly be correct, also shows how silly it was to let Morris out on loan for the season with no recall facility!

You can''t have recalls on them loans. Earliest we can have him is Jan.

I want Morris to succeed as much as the next guy but he needed this move to get goals. He wasn''t ready to play regularly at this level as his time at Rotherham proved and the worst thing for him would be to have sat on our bench and not develop.

Perhaps come January we will need him and he''ll have a good half a season at the top of league 1 under his belt. For now, we should perhaps give Fonkeu or Abrahams a go on the bench to play the "Oli Johnson" or "Kei Kamara" role of "unpredictable alternative" those two scored some vital goals for us and these two could deliver similarly. Look at the goals Loza and Cody Mac scored for us off the bench as well, sometimes you don''t need much technical ability, just fresh legs and a strikers instinct to nick a goal.

If you get a chance to listen to Thursday night''s scrimmage back on iPlayer Neil Adams is very honest and open about the loans and his role. He even told us be is off to look at a player in Holland on Sunday but wouldn''t say which club.

I''m not sure we can just call it bad luck though. It was odd at the time to play him for 120 minutes on Tuesday having only just returned from injury and we may have paid the price for it.

Becoming something of a sick note when you consider the amount of matches/ game time some of city’s more senior squad players have put in. And indeed this week Farke states that another scan shows there is “nothing wrong with oliveiras groin, it’s clear”, and they are linking a back problem he now appears to have with his teeth, and he is seeing a dentist! And now a calf strain!!

Becoming something of a luxury to carry on the bench!

Turning down a high offer for him in the Summer (as we reportedly did) is not proving value for money, so to speak.

I cannot recall exactly, but surely we had time to spend some of that on a couple of decent replacements?

It might have been the best option with hindsight although, knowing the unpredictability of the man, he could well turn out to be the star of our run in towards promotion.

BroadstairsR wrote the following post at 2017-10-29 11:00 AM:

Turning down a high offer for him in the Summer (as we reportedly did) is not proving value for money, so to speak.

I cannot recall exactly, but surely we had time to spend some of that on a couple of decent replacements?

It might have been the best option with hindsight although, knowing the unpredictability of the man, he could well turn out to be the star of our run in towards promotion.

Good points BR, but I don’t see, in the current climate and lack of goals, any run in to promotion. Should Oliveira be out for the next two weeks and up to the international break, we have to go with the same as we have since the last international break - hardly satisfactory when we look at the goals scored column! And no guarantee that Oliveira will improve after the next break, let’s face it, unlike others, he hasn’t played too many minutes since the last one! Tuesday will be very difficult v Wolves for a start, and to hang in there we need the points, but our home form suggests that will be difficult, and they are coming off a loss too!

Certainly dont see anyone paying 8 million for him now. His injury record is pretty poor for us.

Something definitely doesn’t seem right with Oliveira. Lots of different injuries with no real known course. One knock after another.

I thought that he was disappointing against Arsenal, just seemed a bit disinterested and was constantly just walking around shaking his head. Seems strange given you’d think he’d be fired up for that game given opposition and just coming back from injury.

Of course, possibly understandable as seems to be fighting against loads of niggling injuries. BUT I also wonder if mentally he is up for the fight or even if he still rues fact we didn’t agree a transfer in the summer. I just feel someone like Holt or even Jerome might just have the strength and commitment to play through some of these injuries whilst Oliveira is more likely to succumb to them?

He is clearly top quality but we need a striker who is capable f playing most games.

Wouldn''t mind seeing Watkins (or Murphy) being given a chance as the no10, just behind Jerome. We need somebody in & around Jerome, making runs beyond and making late runs into the box. Hoolahan and Maddison are not going to do that

"Why did we buy Watkins if he isn''t our third striker?"

Isn''t he more a midfielder?

His stats of 15 goals in 76 appearances for Barnsley (and 0 in 7 for us so far) are not those of a striker surely?

Having said that .... Daryl Russell anybody?

One person to ask why we are in the $hite with strikers is Mr Webber, it’s also him who stated Watkins was a good option for a 3rd striker!

[quote user="Baldyboy"]One person to ask why we are in the $hite with strikers is Mr Webber, it’s also him who stated Watkins was a good option for a 3rd striker![/quote]
I think Watkins is a very good option as 3rd choice in this league. Certainly don''t think we''ll find anyone as good willing to be potentially 3rd choice at Norwich, in a restricted wage structure.

Webber said clearly that it would take more than a couple of transfer Windows to get a balanced squad.

I don''t see Norwich ever buying a decent third striker. The only way i see it happening is if we either bring one through the ranks or shell out for a better first choice.

Well yeah but he would say that.

Happens all the time in football. People say things to buy themselves some time and lower expectations etc.

@rock bus

Very harsh to say Nelson didn''t seem up for it v Arsenal. He''d just come back from injury and played 120 minutes, could have had a goal and an assist and generally made life difficult for Arsenal''s defence.

Is Nelson injury prone, who has he been poorly managed.

He was constantly put on the bench and brought on while he was carrying an injury. He should have been given a proper rest and no 15 mins here and there.

To go from not being fit enough to start on Sunday to playing 120 two days later is ludicrous. Absolutely no surprise he injured himself again after such poor handling.

Agree with you Bethnal, especially as Farke keeps saying he is carrying an injury. For me, Farke still doesn’t fully understand the rigours of English football, and it’s going to get worse with bad weather and heavy pitches still to come.

He’s done a decent job so far but still has much to learn about the English game in my opinion

I have to say a much as i admire a lot of what Farke has done his handling of our strikers of late has somewhat baffled me, even accepting (as I do) that he has his hands tied somewhat but the ludicrous decision to go into the season with only two strikers.

Repeatedly we have been told Nelson is injured yet he comes on from the bench. Against Ipswich Jerome could basically hardly move from the 60 minute mark onwards and was actually being completely ineffective yet Farke left him on. Then at Arsenal, Oliveira, who has not been fit, has to play 120 minutes despite the fact that he was looking over at the bench and clearly labouring from about the 50th minute onwards.

Part of me wonders whether Farke just doesn''t believe that Nelson is genuinely injured and wanted to try and make him play through it but it was clearly stupid to keep him on for 120 minutes in such circumstances.

Now we''ve got a knackered Jerome who will always put in a shift but is offering zero goal threat and Nelson is injured again, probably as a result of the physical demands of Tuesday night.