Sign in to follow this  
Rich T The Biscuit

Dealings so far.....

There are lots of different posts talking about players coming and going so thought I would try and collate so it can be discussed on one topic.

Of the players that have left either through being sold or contracts expiring, which ones should have been kept, for me the only one that I was kind of disappointed with was Ruddy but I get why he needed to go, he''s been here a long time and we and I suspect he needed a change, as for the rest I think they are all surplus to requirements.

People are questioning the logic of letting Dorrans and Howson leave but again I don''t think they are needed, you look at what we have already and what we have brought in in midfield then would either of these be guaranteed starters, clearly no otherwise why let them go. In terms of midfield I suspect we are not done as bringing in Reed seems to suggest we still are heavy in numbers bearing in mind the comments from Webber about squad size, does this mean Tettey also going I wonder and surely some will leave on loan such as Godfrey?

What''s left to bring in, well I''ll put it out there that we still need another CB (even after RM''s next contract) another LB and potentially 1/2 forwards unless the plan is to play 1 up top, if the rumours about Jerome are true (if) then at least 1 more.

I think the business so far has been good and is being dealt with so much better than previous seasons.

Of those still left that need to go, the only real one for me not needed is Jarvis, for the record is keep Wildschut, we''ve not seen enough to let him go just yet.

Good Post OP, agree on the Wildschut comment, maybe a fresh approach and less expectancy on him from Farke and he could be useful to the cause.

Patience from us fans is the requirement at the moment, first 10 games will of season will show us how far we have / have not come.

The biggest problem for me is replacing experience with loanees from other clubs who whilst they may have potential are unproven, what message does it send out to our youngsters also?

[quote user="Baldyboy"]The biggest problem for me is replacing experience with loanees from other clubs who whilst they may have potential are unproven, what message does it send out to our youngsters also?[/quote]That other clubs loan players out as well as CityAnd that their development is being dealt with properly rather than having them being bunged in a the deep end simply to make up the numbers

Once we offload Pritchard and Murphy towards the end of the window the squad will have a real league one look about it , these owners took us there before i have mo doubt they will again.Now being linked with 34 year old ex scummer for £2.8 million,my god the idiots really are going to town this summer .

i have a feeling Wildschut maybe tried as a left back ? i do not know if he has ever played there in his early career ??

i think the signings have been good

i would prefer signings to be our players and not loans as i feel they are a waste unless they help you go up

( Hindsight is wonderful )

even if they are freebies or cheaper players

for example if we finish 7th to 10th this year i would prefer Matthews to have got experience instead of Gunn

same with any other player on loan is stopping a youth player getting experience

But i understand we will not know if it was worth loaning these players to give us the best chance of going up until the end of season

Kind of agree re loans but the difference is we are loaning in up and coming talent, previously in the dark days of Roeder it was journeymen at the end of their careers, i.e. Sibierski etc

[quote user="norfolkngood"]i have a feeling Wildschut maybe tried as a left back ? i do not know if he has ever played there in his early career ??

i think the signings have been good

i would prefer signings to be our players and not loans as i feel they are a waste unless they help you go up

( Hindsight is wonderful )

even if they are freebies or cheaper players

for example if we finish 7th to 10th this year i would prefer Matthews to have got experience instead of Gunn

same with any other player on loan is stopping a youth player getting experience

But i understand we will not know if it was worth loaning these players to give us the best chance of going up until the end of season[/quote]We can loan in better quality that what pro rata we can sign

Not being sure where we will be next season it would be foolish to commit to long term wages for ''our'' player

[quote user="norfolkngood"]i have a feeling Wildschut maybe tried as a left back ? [/quote]Yet again and certainly as far as tonight is concerned you are on the money,well nearly mate.

Squad wise I feel we have a lot of quality going forward even if we do sell Howson. The front 6 is good enough to match anyone in the division regardless of which midfield combos play or whether it''s Nelson or Jerome up front.

For me our prospects this season depend primarily on whether Farke can strengthen and properly coach the defence. If he can then we should be challenging. Slightly stating the obvious I know but then we''ve been doing that for two seasons now and it''s not previously been addressed.

TIL 1010 wrote the following post at 2017-07-06 12:25 AM:

norfolkngood wrote:

i have a feeling Wildschut maybe tried as a left back ?

Yet again and certainly as far as tonight is concerned you are on the money,well nearly mate.

Well for me Elliot Bennett was a better right full back than winger! Maybe Wildschut has found his nemesis, or the manager has!

I don''t want Howson to leave, he has a knack for popping up with important goals for us and has always been a steady performer. It''s easy for people to say he goes missing but when he does he''s rarely the only one on the pitch being substandard!

A key thing for me, looking at the last few days, is how we compartmentalise roles in the team.

No doubt that Howson is generally a very good central midfielder, he currently does not excel at one particular thing. Whilst those players are needed, I feel like Farke et al are going down a more discerning route.

You have a passer in Vrancic. You have a sitting midfielder in Tettey to tank yellow cards. Today, we took on Reed who looks to be the Crofts-esque running man to Harri around and win the ball back. And as for a goal threat from midfield, take your pick!

I think the aim is to have a very clear image of whose role is what, and how we''re going to play throughout the team. Not that Howson couldn''t be here, but as a sellable asset on a high wage that wants to move north, the deal entirely makes sense.

i agree Mason without players playing we do not know if in fact they MIGHT bring more to the team i think Pritchard will be played more CM this season than AM

Pinto if we can keep him and Wildschut would be some attacking fullbacks with Reed brought in to protect the CB''s

The AM / No 10 with be any of Maddison / Wes / Naismith or a Murphy depending on the Tactic

I don''t think we should sell Howson for the rumoured price to Boro but I am not adverse to selling him to a prem club if an offer comes in simply because whilst I think he''s a very good player we have never really found his best role in the side and indeed I wonder of he is just the sort of player who does not have an optimum role.

His biggest strengths are his technical ability and his ability to burst forward and score goals and on his day he looks fantastic but we have always struggled to fully balance the midfield in recent years and part of the reason for that I think is trying to work out his best position.

i have said all along that Burnley are keeping a tab of the Howson transfer

now where he is on their list i do not know

i imagine they will go after better targets first and see where they end up

i was told they were waiting to sell Keane then strengthen the squad now that has happened

it all depends on their other targets that they have but if someone starts bidding seriously do not be surprised if burnley comes in

What we need will depend very much on what formation Farke is keen on. If he wants to play a back three we need at least two new central defenders. If we are playing a bsck four then we need depth at full back.

We do need at least a couple of defenders, they type will depend upon the formation he wants to play.

For me we are in the market for a starting LB and CB, but that could be a left wing back type .and two CBs if we do go three at the back.

While Martin may be able to cover RB & CB I would probably also like some cover for Pinto if we go the tradition back 4; his is fragile and we didnt win a league game in the 9 he didnt start.

If we play a back three I wonder if Jacob could be a useful option at wingback. I''ve noticed there isn''t much linking Klose with a move away which is positive for me.

I don''t think you could really play Jacob at wingback at championship level and I don''t really think it would suit him personally either.
Saying that, he played that role a little bit for England so maybe i''m wrong.

The key aspect of a wingback is the energy - ability to get up and down the pitch tirelessly for 90 minutes. I think Jacob has that stamina, it''s whether his positioning is good enough for me.

Victor Moses and Oxlade-Chamberlin have shown this season that a wingback doesn''t have to be a full back pushed up.

The fact that many full backs are converted from central midfielders due to stamina levels and comfort on the ball shows that the player profile in this whole area of the pitch has changed.

There is a difference between the wing-back in a Conte style 3-4-3, which Wenger also used at Arsenal, to the Van Gaal 5-3-2. The latter requiring a more defensive minded wing-back, while the former has more attacking players in those positions and expectation that both central midfielders will defend more.

The type of player who Webber brings in at LB will give a big clue as to what formation the club is expecting to play next season. Last night''s 4-1-4-1 might have been more down to the lack of CBs than a clue as to how the team will line up against Fulham.

Yes he couldn''t have played a back three without putting someone out of position. Reinforcements needed there stat.

Easy to read far to much into this things in very early pre season friendlies but I was encouraged to see Godfrey used as a def midfielder which does seem to be his best position, rather than a full back or even a centre back.

Agreed. Given his age, and the competition, a loan and the chance to focus on the def mid role would be my preference.