Sign in to follow this  
Woodman

Ruddy signs for Wolves

Can''t do the clicky, but it reads like he turned down offers from the Prem to get game time - good for him. Also of course, he covers Ikeme''s absence while he undergoes his leukaemia treatment. Good luck big man.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/new-wolves-signing-john-ruddy-13306923

Presumably no one told the new Wolves manager that he has now signed two of the defence which let in the third most goals in the division last season.

Now if they could only come back for Russell Martin......

Its a no-brainer when you consider Wolves'' sudden (and extremely sad) goalkeeper issue.

Ruddy was a free agent, so no transfer fee meant they could offer higher wages, and almost guaranteed 1st team football, in a team throwing everything towards promotion.

Best of luck John, and best of luck Carl Ikeme.

Also they broke club record with the £15m signing of Ruben Neves, young midfielder with tonnes of experience and was their Champions League captain on a few occasions. Can see Helder Costa and Ivan Cavaleiro taking the next step also. £35m worth of signings in those 3 alone!

They are definitely my favs for Promotion.

Ruddy and Wolves were in talks before the sad news about Ikeme - but this does mean that Ruddy is firmly No. 1 there now so may have helped him choose.

Think Wolves might regret it, unless the new challenge revitalises Ruddy and his form improves, he has been poor for the last 2 seasons now.

He will probably save a penalty when we play them, something I can''t remember him ever doing for us - Sod''s law....

Saved one v Swansea when we went up under Lambert, then we went straight down the other end and scored through a Williams own goal!

The transfer fees are only so high for those players because it''s the agent doing the deals and the higher the fee, the bigger his cut.

I would not be happy one bit right now if I was a Wolves fan. Although Ruddy is a good signing (Bennett not so much, thought he''d end up in L1)

I''d take our attacking midfield options over theirs to be honest. Cavaliero and Costa looked good but nothing special to me last year, the rest of their team is comparable to 1p5wich''s. They''ll be up there, but they definitely wouldn''t be my favourites.

Wish him well, i think he looked abit stale the last few seasons (like then entire defence to be fair), but we all know that he can be a very good keeper, so a move was probably best for him and to free up the wages. Sad news about Ikeme though.

[quote user="sgncfc"]Presumably no one told the new Wolves manager that he has now signed two of the defence which let in the third most goals in the division last season.

Now if they could only come back for Russell Martin......[/quote]

My worry is that by giving away Ruddy and Bennet and keeping Martin...we might have got it entirely the wrong way around!

Ruddy to Gunn certainly doesn''t fill me with confidence of having upgraded. Nor Bennet to Zimmerman. Time will tell

I wish Ruddy well, He has always just wanted to play so choosing wolves over a prem bench isnt a surprise. I hope a new challenge helps him recover his form - and he will probably have a blinder against us if he does. Bennett will probably too, but I suspect he is unlikely to lose his the inconsistencies that undermine his performances.

For me, Martin has consistently outperformed Bennett at CB over the last 3 seasons, so I am happy he is the one to stay. Ruddy for me was all about finances, nothing else.

For me this summer was never about getting an upgrade by selling or letting the likes of Ruddy, Dorrans, Howson go; It was always going to be about balanced budget planning. Getting the finances in line while minimising the lost quality balanced against the future potential to eventually get to or exceed the departing players (not seen often enough last season in any event) innate quality with increased hunger to perform week in week out.

Its not easy to get right, but we already have a better balance between defensive & attacking capability and have lowered what had become an old starting XI while keeping the natural attacking flair. The outgoing wage commitment has fallen and sold aging, wantaway players for decent fees given the lack of clubs showing an interest.

Best wishes to John Ruddy. A good pro, who had given us many good times. Released to reduce wage bill. Often let down by the defense in front of him. If we''d have invested on the defensive squad following Wembley we could

possibly still have been in the premier league (although not guaranteed). Hope he doesn''t come back to haunt us!