Sign in to follow this  
Herman

Anyone Else Positive?

Anyone else looking forward to the new season, like me? I am quite happy with what the club is up to. A complete clear out and a re-structuring is what the club needs to do, (it should have done the last time we were relegated, which in fairness they attempted with Adams, but didn''t carry through). The team has been stale for a while and last season was the final proof, if proof were needed.Anyway, so far we have a new, exciting coach, coaching set up and management set up. Very positive for me. Great youth players either coming through or are now first team regulars, Murphys, Maddison, Godfrey,Toffolo etc. Very positive.Players like Hoolahan, Pritchard, Klose, Oliviera* still here. Very positive.Cleared out a lot of the older and expensive players, some clearly happy to be somewhere else, which is a positive to me, and making way for some newer, fresher additions like Watkins and Vrancic.Yes, there''s still work to be done (new defenders please), but imo the club is moving in the right direction. Just to add, to cover my arse, it could all end in disaster (Fulham away first game) but I''d rather we try something new than carry on in the same loop that we were in.

*I think we can all agree that we need to keep Nelson at all costs and let''s hope that the Reading thing is just complete bollox[:D]

Yep. Sick of the sight of most of the old guard and I think we over payed for the vast majority of our players so replacing them with cheaper options doesn''t worry me, especially with Webbers track record in the transfer market.

Also, despite some of these players being really good individually, they have seldom ever gelled as an effective team, I''m looking forward to seeing us create an identity and way of playing that we can all get behind instead of our old tactic of pilling men forwards and relying on individual skill or long range strikes.

If we lose the strikers or Pritchard I''ll be really concerned and unhappy, but so far so good imo.

Yes, positive with the actions the club has taken so far, agree the clear out was needed both playing staff and Colney needed an overhaul. Alos like the way Webber seems to be gong about his business and the relationship with him and Farke gives me hope having said that my expectations for the season ahead are conservative, not convinced we will make a play off position but will finish above them down the A140. Think this structure is about the longer term and not just the here and now,Fully expect to see more loan signings, and young players being given an opportunity as Farke adapts to the championship. Happy Days OTBC

I''m on the fence. Right now we''re looking at a back four of Pinto, Martin, Klose and Toffolo which doesn''t inspire me. Also we''re still saddled with the likes of Naismith, Jarvis and other wage drains.

However the idea of an attack built around Pritchard, the Murphy twins, Maddison and Co sounds very exciting.

Sign a couple of decent defenders and I''ll be excited then.

Very positive in deed Herman and for all the same reasons you''ve stated.

I just hope some supporters can lower there expectations a little though and we all need to remember that we''re in a transitional period and there will no doubt be a few hiccups along the way.

Think we''re in for a very exciting ride this coming season.

Yes positive here too - may take a bit of time for new players to gel and hope fans have sufficient patience.Just a bit nervous about the Oliviera rumour - would be a massive loss

Happiest I''ve been since Lambert tbh, and that was the happiest I''d been since the days of Mike Walker (first time around)!Feels like there''s a great energy re-building at the club, gone with the older players who at times have been good but who have also let us down too often, in with the younger, hungrier, team player template that worked extremely well for Lambert and didn''t hurt Wagner at Hudd this season either.Early signs are that Farke has a lot more tactical nous than Alex Neil ever did, and in Webber we have a decisive director who has a clear and actionable plan to move us forwards.If we bring in the expected CB, LB and possibly striker sometime soon, then I think this window will have gone almost flawlessly (as long as the new players perform of course).

It''s hard to have an opinion either way. The management team and the players signed up until now are an unknown quantity at this level so all we can do is hope it''s a master stroke. If there is any truth in the Oliviera and Jerome rumours I''d start to be concerned with the direction we''re taking though

[quote user="king canary"]I''m on the fence. Right now we''re looking at a back four of Pinto, Martin, Klose and Toffolo which doesn''t inspire me. Also we''re still saddled with the likes of Naismith, Jarvis and other wage drains.

However the idea of an attack built around Pritchard, the Murphy twins, Maddison and Co sounds very exciting.

Sign a couple of decent defenders and I''ll be excited then.[/quote]I can''t disagree with most of what you say, (I''d happily keep Naismith for another season at least), and your point about the defence, or lack of, has been the elephant in the room for too long a time. This is where we need to spend our money/focus on.

Once we bring in the LB CB CM that Webber has said we need and as long as we don''t lose any of the Oliviera & Pritchard etc then will all be very positive.

Certainly not negative, but not overly positive either.  It''s more a sense of anticipation to see what happens, obviously hoping that things go well, but realising that it is by no means certain.   Looking forward to seeing how the younger players get on and looking for some encouraging signs early in the season. 

Cautiously optimistic sums it up for me. Changes were necessary. Like others have said, hope we don''t lose either NO or CJ. I think we have let a few good players go (for various reasons) so hope the quality of replacements are decent. I think where we can improve is as a team. At times last year we looked disjointed with no clear game plan. I don''t think AN got the best out of a good squad. The question is whether Farke can pull things together so that collectively the team performs better than the sum of its parts. Can he get more out of what is probably a hungrier but less talented bunch? Like I said, cautiously optimistic but things will become clearer in the next couple of months.

[quote user="lharman7"]Very positive in deed Herman and for all the same reasons you''ve stated.

I just hope some supporters can lower there expectations a little though and we all need to remember that we''re in a transitional period and there will no doubt be a few hiccups along the way.

Think we''re in for a very exciting ride this coming season.[/quote]There in lies a major problem and that will be the fans patience. Can they hold off from throwing their clappers/hammering their keyboards if we''re not at least in the top 6?

There''s little doubt we have the talent, scoring ability and enthusiastic youth to give it a great go.

I''m not too concerned about the back 4, for me we have a decent back 4, Toffolo is young but good enough, with Klose, Pinto and Martin we do have internationals who are decent defenders, just need a good manager and system to allow them to defend. AN like to have two holding midfielders who inevitably dropped too deep, key to good defending is banks of players with a gap between them and to track your man.

Positive yes as I hope the new coach will have the balls to pick Pritchard, Murphy, Maddison and the youngsters over players who aren''t performing, AN always resorted to his failing tactics and older players.

As others have said, Oliviera / Jerome with players like Vrancic, Murphy, Maddison, Wes, Pritchard will bag shed load of goals.

We have that holding midfielder in Reed and a decent young keeper now, so I''m pretty positive we have the structure and talent to get top 6, it''s really how we''ll can Farke and his coaching team get the players to gel and how quickly.

Great structure and which should have been in place last year, AN should have gone as soon as we went down.

Definitely optimistic.
We have a new management and coaching staff who promise positive, constructive, possession football.
Business is getting done early without nit picking over contracts.
What more can you ask for except proof?

I agree with Herman, omg it''s a first😎

Will have to be patient but it''s exactly what we need

Yes i am excited by the unknown

excited to seeing us sign unknown players instead of the same old names

i still think we will sign a few more players CB on loan a LB and midfield and a quick striker

I like Farke i dont know why as never seen his team play but again the unknown i would prefer Farke instead of a down beat sounding Nigel person or AN just saying work harder etc

people and fans have to remember Webber and Farke would love to sign 5 million pound players but as a club this is where we are signing free transfers and cheap players thats fine you can have success doing that if you do it right

if we could get rid of Naismith / jarvis it would really open up the wages and cash for better players to come in

Definitely positive. Great to see a real shake up . It''s not what we know ,, but what we feel. I am feeling this could be another " Lambert" type era. New blood combined with stalwarts who want to be here and play .

I am excited about the new season , bring it on 💚💛otbc

Realistically optimistic - I hope we will do well, can see we have some good players still but, the realist can also see, we are slashing wage bills and reducing not building. Lower wages in this league tends to be a sign of lower quality signings.

So we end up hoping young and hungry but not as good will do better than clearly better but not as hungry...

My verdict- if we sort the defence- Play off push. If we don''t then Lower end. Automatics beyond us

The OP echoes the sentiments I made in a posting a couple of weeks ago ... but I can''t dig it up. (How to? Used to find old postings.)

All true supporters like new signings for the most part and we are therefore often inclined to "big" them up into world-beaters.

The "feel good factor" is even returning to the ''Loo apparently just because they have signed a Cardiff cast-off along with Tom Adeyemi and a fledgling winger from the PL. ..... now THAT IS bigging up.

Meanwhile at the "Rud," and in ''The Fruiterers'' Vrancic gets better by the day and Reed is that perfect defensive midfielder we have lacked for a couple of seasons now, whilst young Gunn is destined for the England team and Zimmerman is that European star in the making that we''ve always dreamed of.

I''m right up there with all that and feel our Summer dealings thus far have been pretty good.

We just need about three more and we all know what positions they should fill.

It could of course, like the Berlin Wall, all come tumbling down and what then would the future bring?

When looking at our squad; our remaining first-teamers and our youngsters, I cannot foresee them doing anything but prosper under the tried and trusted German model that we have adopted big time.

Success is on the cards for me, although it might need two seasons.

Nah! We''ll bomb it.

Yes:

Needed the restructure

Lots of potential in younger players breaking through

Like the idea of a personality and playing identity, German-inspired pressing

New ideas needed after AN

Better communications from CEO (post Moxey)

New players brings freshness and hopefully will be very keen

Cautious:

Worried if Nelson leaves (hope it is fake news)

Farke must acclimatise to English game and especially the Championship

New players untried? Looks good on paper but game played on grass - how quickly can they settle

Still no real defensive muscle and we are now into pre-season

Financial concerns - cutting cloth

Lots of other decent Champs teams - no easy games - even the likes of Sheff Utd could do us over (see defenders comments above)

We all need to be a little patient (expectations are high)

Overall: Hopeful!

Positive and cannot wait to get on the rattler to Fulham for the first game but today my enthusiasm has stalled until Webber puts this Oliviera story to bed one way or the other.

Let''s be honest, Webber / Farke and the new way the club is set out, the prospect of less well known players with far lower expectations mean we should be far more positive than last season.

Moxey & AN were a very poor nearly toxic pairing which caused the club to have a very expensive and piss poor season.

We understand the need to sweep clean the deadwood and the ten gone so far won''t be too missed, if we could add Naismith & Jarvis out the door, we would be in a far stronger position to add the couple or so quality in loan or permanent signings to put us up there.

It''s a far better place now then 12 months ago.

I''d like one more out the door. I think the three left on big money are Klose, Naismith and Jarvis. Shift on one of these and we can bring in 2 or 3 which improve the squad.

We need to probably accept that Jarvis is here until 2019, no one is going to buy him.

Naismith I think is happy here, and hence we are going to struggle to move him on.

Which leaves Klose, who still has a bit of value. I''m not sure we can really afford to sell another CB though.

Tough choices for the club, but I''m very interested to see how we move forward in the coming weeks.

i am positive but maybe not in a we will go up more the club has a plan and OUR club will go back to hopefully producing younger player like we used to and maybe gain more finance that way

As long as the football is good the manager has a plan A, b and c the manager plays the younger players we pick up a few gems from foreign leagues i will be happy if we go up its a bonus but with the wage drop the clubs future is brighter

yes seeing us go up is important and i would love that of course

but we will all support the club where ever they are and as long as the players manager give us 100 % we will always back them

I''m positive about the new season in general, and I think that the skill and pace level will be as high as last season.

Having seen the team capitulate on so many occasions last year, there is a doubt at the back of my mind about the mental toughness of the side. I hope that the new staff will deal with this, and turn us into a team who will never give up, and hate being beaten. There are still enough of the old guard to make me concerned about the defence, but if we succeed in signing a good central defender and left back, and if Pinto can develop the defensive side of his game, I will be reassured.

Looking forward to the new regime however unlikely to see a promotion push. Others look better placed. Clear out needed a little late and since the money is running out not positive we will be in promotion mode any time soon. In a few years forget debt free status.

Hard to believe was just a few short months ago that AN finally got the boot, leaving Irvine to carry us thru till end season. Althou many here thought AN should have gone earlier, credit anyway to Delia and the board for acting, and acting in such a decisive way in getting Stuart Webber in. I shudder when i think how us fans would be feeling now if AN and Moxey were still at the helm.Ruddy, Whittaker, Bennett, Mulumbu, Bassong, Lafferty, Turner, Dorrans, Rudd, Howson...wonder how much the wage bill has shrunk with those guys gone..but that is another good consequence of the new set up, with Steve Stone and Webber acting to do what had to be done realistically, acting now to avoid what happened 8 or 9 yrs ago from happening again. Think theres still room for more trimming without touching the ones we all know we want to remain here, Jarvis and Andreu spring to mind, maybe one GK also, do we need all of Gunn, McGovern, Matthews and Jones here? Im happy to keep Klose and Naismith, get a CB, LB and a striker in and we are about set.Positive indeed, and happy to give the new set up  a good dose of patience, if nothing else, will be looking forward to finally seeing the Maddisons, Toffolos, Godfreys etc playing their part alongside the Murphys. No great expectations about league position, just keep us out of the bottom 3 please Daniel. Looks a very strong division, with many teams having new overseas owners, the Chinese takeover of the West Midlands in particular looking like a spearhead aimed at the top places. All the more reason i for one, as each season goes by, cherishes what we have and who we support. OTBC.