Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Kevin Keelan The Living Legend.

That is why my Grandson is named after him.

Before Keelan signs off he asks a favour: “I would like to thank all the people and Norwich City for the years I spent there - they have the best fans in the world, they were wonderful people – please give them my regards.”

Brings a tear to you to hear something like that

Had the privilege of watching him play many, many times.  Rarely injured, just always seemed to be between the sticks.  Could drop a centre forward as quick as look if needs must!  As many have said, an absolute legend.

Great Keeper - I don''t know if the years playing tricks on the mind, but I swear I remember him catching corners near the penalty spot!

He was unique , badger if I remember rightly he used to stand on the six yard box for a corner.

Only saw him at the end of his career when Roger Hansbury was sharing gloveman duty.

He was the first player autograph I got. Mum took me to WH Smith in St Stephens where he was signing copies of his biography.

Still got that copy of ''Keelan'' in the loft somewhere.

My father-in-law told me a story of how he chinned Ted MacDougall at Trowse when he came to say goodbye after his transfer to Southampton. Apparently he said something like ''the lads have got a present for you''.

I know MacDougall was sometimes unpopular but surely this can''t be true?

Any of you more ''senior'' posters heard this story?

Anyone remember that FA Cup game at Old Trafford, only beaten by that incredible goal by Denis Law in a 2 - 1 win. We drank the special train dry ended up with tonic water, that was all they had left.

I was lucky enough to have seen him play for 13 years. In his prime must have been very close to an England call-up.Apart from being a fantastic keeper he was pretty handy at chinning opposition forwards. Tommy Robson lives in my neck of the woods and has probably still got a sore jaw from that knockout at Carrow Rd back in the ''60''s.Must remember to ask him sometime.....[:D]

I heard Bill Punton tell a great story about a car journey he took in Norwich with Kevin Keelan. A "fan" was daft enough to give the great man some abuse and it ended with a "Tommy Robson moment" [;)] 
I''d love it if we could get Bill Punton to one of our legends forums.

One that sticks out for me, was a League Cup tie at West Brom, in the late 70s, and he single handedly kept us in the game ( finished 0-0, and we won the replay)

Was it Northampton at home when he took so much stick from their number nine that he put the ball on the ground, thumped him with a right hook and promptly walked off before the ref could send him off ?

[quote user="CANARYKING"]Was it Northampton at home when he took so much stick from their number nine that he put the ball on the ground, thumped him with a right hook and promptly walked off before the ref could send him off ?[/quote]Yep. It was Tommy Robson who got a slap.

Legend, and my childhood hero. 
I grew up watching Keelan between the sticks and was lucky enough to meet him several times as he was a friend of my dads. One of my favourite memories of Kevin was watching him play out of his skin against Malcolm "Super-Mac" MacDonald, I''m struggling to remember which season it was now, and even whether it was against Arsenal or Newcastle, but whatever it was he was magnificent that day. 
In fact, on the back page of one of the Sunday paper''s next day there was a headline quote from MacDonald - "Keelan is Brilliant!". If anyone can remember more I''d be grateful if you could fill in the blanks for me!
Best keeper we ever had, or ever will have, in my opinion.

There were days when the one and only KK was simply unbeatable. It''s very difficult to compare generations bit I''ve seen them all since KK and no-one comes even close. An England regular for certain if he''d played for a more fashionable club. And the fact that he was a bit of a ''character'' simply added to the legend.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]Was it Northampton at home when he took so much stick from their number nine that he put the ball on the ground, thumped him with a right hook and promptly walked off before the ref could send him off ?[/quote]My memory is it was a left hook. I think - not sure - Keelan is left-handed.

Gordon Hill, who was the players choice as best referee because if they gave him stick he gave it back and so was not liked by the powers that be, said that Keelan was the best goalkeeper never to play for England.
I don''t think he had attitude, I think he knew that he would get stick for the obligatory centre forward in those days and was not going to allow them to dominate him physically. In fact he thumped a few more on the ref''s blind side and Tommy Robson was his only obvious one. He certainly led with foot when coming out for crosses.
And no-one ever disturbed him when he was out for a pint after the match. Respect as much as anything.

Keelan was one of the greatest players ever to wear the shirt ,watched him many times for almost all of his days with city .should have won more international caps .a personality on and off the pitch ,remember one hilarious moment on the pitch (not at the time so much ) keelan clearing the ball kicked it out only to hit Clive Ted Payne on the back of the head almost knocking him over and the ball flew over keelan into the net for a own goal .

Never got to see him play sadly, before my time.

Is it fair to say he could have made even more appearances? What was the reaction from City fans when the likes of Roger Hansbury started to get in the team ahead of him, or was this only whilst Keelan was injured (was he ever?) or playing on loan in America?

It''s incredible to think he played for us from the early 60s into the 80s, imagine the stories he must have from his time at the club. There is a great quote in Gunny''s book, where he mentions how he smacked some guy on a night out in Norwich who had been giving him some grief and he went in to see manager Ken Brown because he was worried about it and Brown replied with something along the lines of, "Don''t worry about that - we had a keeper called Kevin Keelan who used to deck someone every other weekend!"

Derek Possee of Millwall was another KG. He was a bit small for an uppercut so he slammed the ball on his skull and left him poleaxed! The ref gave a PK and with Possee too groggy to take it Keith Weller did. And missed. Think the great man was booked but certainly not sent off ☺

CANARYKING wrote the following post at 2017-07-09 1:53 AM:

Anyone remember that FA Cup game at Old Trafford, only beaten by that incredible goal by Denis Law in a 2 - 1 win. We drank the special train dry ended up with tonic water, that was all they had left.

Oh yes, I remember it well, Heath and Bolland for city, Law for Utd, who had them all out there, Best, Charlton, Stepney and all to name but three. What a day that was. One of the finest I can recall, including Wembley because nobody, absolutely nobody, gave us a chance! But we did them on their own patch in front of 63,000.