Sign in to follow this  
City 2nd

Johnny Howson

@BroadstairsWhat distorted piffle. Clearly Howson has never been a rabble rouser,

but I am suggesting that this last tantrum of his indicates a side to

his character hitherto unrevealed and which may or may not have been

exhibited in the past. Not an unreasonable assumption.

Whilst dsspaointng Howson felt the need to behave in this manner, i think this reflects the influence of his agent or the like, cant believe this is the Howson we grew to love over the last 5 years.

There are always two sides to every ''distorted piffle'' story.......We''ve only heard from one ''piffling'' side........

I''ve only known Webber since he came here a few months back, Howson has been a model pro and even Farke indicated this during the week, so I''ll keep my thoughts on that there''s more to this than what Webber is saying, he''s spinning it from his own side and tainting a model pro who''s been a stalwart during his time here.

As said always two side to this type of story, it would have been far better to have just said, Howson requested to leave, we set a price and met by Boro, during negotiations during it was better for Howson to train alone to have less disruption to pre season, we wish him well and thank him for his five years as a City player.

To come out in this manner about a crowd favourite will always get a reaction, so Webber is very naive to come out with his statement, in my opinion.

You''re probably spot on Lessingham, but I repeat what I said a couple of posts ago about not liking it when player''s misbehave in this supposed manner ..... along with the reasons behind my view.

I do not happen to believe that Webber has been economical with the truth and therefore deduce it as a fact that Little Johnny Good Shoes''s (whatever) behaviour was bad form even if it was a one off ... so good riddance.

I think back to how Lewis Grabban was pilloried on here for not dissimilar disobedience and when nobody really knew the extenuating circumstances.

Why should Howson be excused, especially as the circumstances seem more clear cut?

You could be right Indy (as indeed we all could.)

But, the fact remains, it takes something of note for a player to be made to train alone.

I too am inclined not to condone Webber''s words, but the fact is he said them.

Sorry MY, but you accusing me of putting Howson along with Lafferty in terms of behaviour at the club is indeed "piffle."

Has Mr Howson given his side of the story yet? No, I don''t think so? Until then like the Oliviera to Reading story I''ll just await and see what events unfold and ignore the speculation that this and other forums churn out......Ok?

Webber is benefitting from "new broom sweeps clean". Much like AN did.

He can pretty much say what he wants because people want to like him and believe in him. Especially coming off the back of a couple of disappointing seasons.

But so far at NCFC he hasn''t done anything special. Early daya though.

And in this instance he has used Howson not wanting to endanger his medical to his advantage.

Good business. Got rid of someone who obviously wasn''t up for it.

JF wrote the following post at 08/07/2017 2:57 PM:

why should our expectations be lowered?? We''re entering our second seasons parachute payments and realistically our last real chance at going back up barring a Lambert like miracle. Anything less than play offs and a promotion push should be considered failure again.

Because the club is in a transitional phase and are rebuilding for a sustainable future.

Massive overhauls are you are expecting a promotion push? Surely that''s too much.

I''ll not be giving him a clap when he comes to Carrow Road.

I wasn''t bothered about him going, it''s good money and now even better money for someone who didn''t want to be here.

There is no smoke without fire, if he''s not been causing trouble why make him train alone, suspect he was tapped up in the summer and was forcing the issue.

Will always respect what he has done in his time with us but that''s as far as it goes for me, he doesn''t deserve any more.

Show a bit of respect Jonny and act in a professional manner.

When these players happily sign their long-term contracts it turns out to be a one-way street.....

If the club want to get rid of a player for whatever reason, they have to pay up the contract.

If the player decides he doesn''t want to fulfil the contract, he can throw his toys out of the pram and engineer a move.

Howson deserves no sympathy and little adulation from NCFC supporters. Probably not as good as some fans believe or else a few PL clubs might have shown some interest and tested his ''desire'' to move north.

[quote user="lharman7"]JF wrote the following post at 08/07/2017 2:57 PM:

why should our expectations be lowered?? We''re entering our second seasons parachute payments and realistically our last real chance at going back up barring a Lambert like miracle. Anything less than play offs and a promotion push should be considered failure again.

If they do not go for a promotion push in our last season with parachute payments then it''s tantamount to negligence. You bet I expect a promotion push becayse we sure as hell ain''t going to be pushing for promotion if we are down here for a couple more seasons.

Because the club is in a transitional phase and are rebuilding for a sustainable future.

Massive overhauls are you are expecting a promotion push? Surely that''s too much.[/quote]

He''s still been one of my favorite NCFC players over the last few years. A great player, and in my opinion should''ve been Captain a season or two ago. He''s done nothing in 5 1/2 years to suggest he is troublesome, and Webber is a completely new figure through the door. If I was Johnny, and saw all the best players around me leaving, I might reevaluate the standard of quality at my current club, and feel that if there was a club I could move closer to home and achieve higher level football again, that might be the best option. We also don''t know if when he was offered his new contract, how bad the terms were from what he''s on now. Even that itself could be enough to change someone''s mind, but it could''ve been something as simple as that that caused an argument, and resulted in him training alone.

Very much two sides to a story. And everybody suggesting that he wasn''t that good, you are fools! We are never going to have a player that is 9/10 or 10/10 every week. If we do, or have in recent history, feel free to name one please.

Saying that he went missing in games; so has every member of the squad. We are Norwich city, we aren''t Chelsea, we cannot afford players like that. He still one of the best midfielders in the league, and now a potential rival has him. He will score goals, some of them worldies, and he will be an asset. Anybody who comes in to fill his shoes, will be of lesser experience or lesser quality.

lharman7 wrote the following post at 08/07/2017 11:43 AM:

JF wrote the following post at 08/07/2017 2:57 PM:

Massive overhauls are you are expecting a promotion push? Surely that''s too much.

Transitional phase? Let''s get this straight. This season represents our last real chance of a sustainable future under these owners. Failure to be promoted this season will highly likely result in a return for us to the pre Lambert days. Remember those? When our board were considering selling the stadium to keep the club afloat! After the parachute payments have gone we will be very much one of the poorer teams in the league with our owners.

Let''s all be honest about J Howson leaving, if all the knockers would like to remember he started last season as team captain.

A team that went top of the championship, then after a couple of injurys the total inferior club captain (who could not get anywhere near 1st eleven) came back into the team and took the armband.

You then have a situation where the players on the pitch are looking down to the captain on the pitch rather than games previous looking up to best player at the club.

I am guessing once Russell Martin signed his new contract that was it for J Howson and perhaps for other senior players. (The grassing up would also not sit well with senior players)

So imo to keep his own integrity Johnny was forced out of the club

[quote user="simmo_2"]Let''s all be honest about J Howson leaving, if all the knockers would like to remember he started last season as team captain.

A team that went top of the championship, then after a couple of injurys the total inferior club captain (who could not get anywhere near 1st eleven) came back into the team and took the armband.

You then have a situation where the players on the pitch are looking down to the captain on the pitch rather than games previous looking up to best player at the club.

I am guessing once Russell Martin signed his new contract that was it for J Howson and perhaps for other senior players. (The grassing up would also not sit well with senior players)

So imo to keep his own integrity Johnny was forced out of the club[/quote]I think we should take a moment to admire the genius of this post.It''s all Russell Martins fault, why no-one saw this when the news was first announced really puts us all to shame.Next task is can someone link Russell Martin to the assasination of JFK and the fake moon landings. [:D]

I''m disappointed to see Howson go. Decent footballer and scored some wonderful goals for us. Always put in 100%.
Obviously something has gone on behind the scenes here. Webber has put his side out, but we''ve seen Howson for 5 and a half years and there''s been nothing to even suggest he is anything other than an absolute model pro. I would like to think we know him (albeit from afar) better than to behave the way he is being painted. He just doesn''t seem to have the toys out the pram side to him.
He obviously wanted to move back up North, I think most of us had caught wind of that, and as I say, he hasn''t been made to train alone for no reason whatsoever - obviously there has been some kind of situation occurring but I don''t think it''s as black and white as the Webber story states, and if Howson did behave like that then I don''t think he''d do it lightly, I would imagine it would take quite a lot of perceived poor treatment to get him to that point.
I''m only speculating, I don''t know Howson - I have met him though and we''ve all seen him quietly getting on with it, whilst others like Wes, Grabban etc have put in transfer requests or thrown tantrums of one form or another. 
There''s definitely another side to this story, and I suspect the truth, as ever; will lie somewhere in the middle.

Quiet people who are not used to kicking up a fuss, or who don''t like rocking the boat, sometimes have to make extra effort to make sure that others are taking them seriously and it could be that he thought the club weren''t acting quickly enough on his desire to move.

Howson confirms that discussions took place about him moving last season and something did happen during pre-season.http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-jonny-howson-offer-middlesbrough-13312587"Reflecting on his Norwich exit after five and a half seasons

with the Canaries, he added: "Towards the back end of last season we

had discussions and came to the agreement that if something came in I

was allowed to go.

"That was the case over pre-season. It had come to a

stage then where in my eyes it was more or less complete but Norwich

had maybe changed their decision and thought they could sell someone

else.

"They were going through a transition period, but

that''s all in the past now and nothing can change what''s happened. I''m

excited to get started. I had a great five and a half years there, I

gave everything for the club, we had some success and some downs as well

but that''s part and parcel of football."

Good to see Howson not slagging the club off in anyway when leaving, especially as he could quite easily have had a go at Webber after the comments he made, gentleman to the end. Well done Jonny

[quote user="Baldyboy"]Good to see Howson not slagging the club off in anyway when leaving, especially as he could quite easily have had a go at Webber after the comments he made, gentleman to the end. Well done Jonny[/quote]He doesn''t have to, you doing a fine job for him.