Sign in to follow this  
City 2nd

Johnny Howson

Must have thrown his toys out the pram when the club didn''t help him leave. If what Webber has said is true then fair play, don''t want attitudes like that in our squad. A sideways move if anything from Howson

Glad that Webber came out and told the world about this, puts things in perspective, Dissapointed that Howson acted as claimed though, believed he was better than that.

[quote user="ricardo"]ShameBut inevitable due to Prem cash running out.Last chance this year then we become 1p5wich.[/quote]
We will never become the binners Rickyyyy! Have a bit of backbone and show some pride buddy. Even when we were relegated to league one we didn''t become the binners. We paid our dues and picked ourselves up like we have before and will again. Has the age of the entitled fan swallowed you up too?

Norfolk can confirm if this is just Webber talk, as it certainly not like Howson.

Backs up the thoughts of him not being happy with the terms offered by the club, maybe a number of factors and there''s always two sides to any dispute, pretty sure you''d get a different view from Howson.

Webbers been here two minutes, I''d take his views and statements with a pint he of salt! Someone might have to ask him at the fans social if he comes, he stated weeks ago every player has his price and Howson''s was met by Boro.

It would be interesting to know what sort of contract was offered to Howson. As he still had two years left, extending it was not absolutely necessary unless the club wanted to change terms - probably involving a significant wage cut.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"Last chance this year then we become 1p5wich."

Except that we will have no debt, probable x2 number of season tickets will be sold, no rents to pay, a more valuable squad of players, Category A and FIRST AND FOREMOST the club will remain a much more attractive proposition for any prospective new owners .... as surely this will have to be very much on the cards considering Delia''s wealth or lack of it.

The alternative would be too awful to envisage, imo.

I note that one binner on TWTD forecast that if we should fail this coming season then the "balance" would be restored.

(Restored to what? The 1970-80s (whatever it was,) as they''ve achieved precious little since.)

Let us not start Mr. R.[/quote]Not going to happen as Nephew Tom will inherit.

Howson reached his full potential here and will likely never play in the Premier again.That''s all anybody needs to know.

JF wrote:

"Always disappointing when a player of decent quality leaves, especially to what may be a rival. But for several seasons now we haven''t moved the ball quickly enough in midfield and Howson has been part of that. I wouldn''t be too disappointed to see Tettey follow him out of the door. These players have proven they are not up to the job at the top level, let''s hope there replacements are. I''d draw the line at losing Jerome though, a proven quality goal scorer at this level."

Whilst I agree that neither him nor Tettey were quite of the quality needed to sustain top level football, we are now so far away from that. We can''t seriously believe we are going to mount a promotion push this season, so to suggest that we need players of premier league quality when we aren''t even guaranteed to finish in the high ends of the championship is silly. Middlesbrough clearly believe he has quality to either be a high-end championship or low-end premiership midfielder, and I tend to agree. This is a stupid move on our part, and he could''ve literally been sold to anybody but a promotion rival. With two years remaining on his contract , we could''ve waited until January before we really tried to push him out. I think the homesick thing is a bunch of spin by the club, because honestly who spends 5 1/2 years somewhere being unhappy…

People saying it''s unprofessional of Howson to act as he did, if true, but, isn''t it a bit unprofessional for Webber to basically slag off the player also?

There are always two sides to every story and I doubt we will ever know Howsons side of it but Webber has now stoked the fire for when we play Boro!

Club cant win can they, we''ve asked them to be more transparent with us, so they are, now people are moaning

Diane it''s natural to be sceptical when there''s only the club view point. On the one hand why did the club offer Howson another contract when he has two years left, why did Farke say how he wanted to work with such a professional / best in this league player, only to be left out to train on his own......lots of lose ends with Webber justifying selling him.

It''s just something to talk about on here, the deed is done, so be it.

Webber''s comments certainly put a different perspective on the situation. I wanted JH to stay, but it seems like a parting of the ways was inevitable. Whoever you believe, fact is there was a relationship breakdown. We move on. He''s not irreplaceable and if the money funds a couple of decent defenders it could work out okay. What''s the betting he scores against us?

[quote user="Indy"]Diane it''s natural to be sceptical when there''s only the club view point. On the one hand why did the club offer Howson another contract when he has two years left, why did Farke say how he wanted to work with such a professional / best in this league player, only to be left out to train on his own......lots of lose ends with Webber justifying selling him.

It''s just something to talk about on here, the deed is done, so be it.[/quote]

He said that during the negotiations with Boro, not likely to make out that we wanted to get rid of him as it would effect the fee.

Not at all disappointed by his departure. Overrated, questionable attitude, never expressed any love for Norwich City, and somewhat frustrating / anonymous in most games. I always thought he could do more surging forward instead of running sideways in the middle of the pitch. He had the pace, but how often did you see him burst into space to open up a defense? Almost never. Good riddance for me - one of the egos in the squad that Farke & Webber have quickly sussed on to, and are ruthlessly weeding them out. A couple of defenders now, and no more outs (unless we get a miraculous offer for Naismith, or McGovern), then their job is done for this transfer window.

He was one of the most complete midfielders we have had. He is also a cut above most championship midfielders and could

Get by in the top tier. He may have spat his dummy out but let''s not pretend this exit is positive. With what we are paying we must downgrade and that is never positive news

SeattleCanary wrote the following post at 08/07/2017 4:40 AM:

Whilst I agree that neither him nor Tettey were quite of the quality needed to sustain top level football, we are now so far away from that. We can''t seriously believe we are going to mount a promotion push this season, so to suggest that we need players of premier league quality when we aren''t even guaranteed to finish in the high ends of the championship is silly. Middlesbrough clearly believe he has quality to either be a high-end championship or low-end premiership midfielder, and I tend to agree. This is a stupid move on our part, and he could''ve literally been sold to anybody but a promotion rival. With two years remaining on his contract , we could''ve waited until January before we really tried to push him out. I think the homesick thing is a bunch of spin by the club, because honestly who spends 5 1/2 years somewhere being unhappy…

I''ve said it before on other threads, supporters need to lower there expectations for this coming season. We can not expect to challenge for first or second spot when the club has made massive overhauls in structure, management and playing staff. Realistically, id say anywhere in the top half of the league and maybe if lucky pushing hard for a play off spot.

We could not have literally sold Howson to anybody. By all accounts the only club that made an offer for his services was Boro.

It''s preposterous to propose we keep an unhappy player or a player who would like to move away any more than we need to. January would have been too long away for both club and player.

Selling Howson has been the best piece of business so far from Webber this summer window.

This is what happens when you keeep a clueless manager who has lost all confidence for too long. Like many of the squad he lost his drive etc. One of our best players going for 5 million to a rival club can not be good business. He still had two years of contract to run instead we keep Naismith enough said.

He should have been made captain this season and drop Mr Martin who is I am afraid more use to the club off the field than he is on!

Mixed feelings on this one.  Can''t forget Howson''s class and his goals, but I also can''t forget those games where he has failed to make any impact.  I don''t go along with this ''he''s working quietly getting on with a job'' - for me he disappears too often in a game - and his defending has always been questionable (imo).   When the chips are down, the team has been lacking and they are all partly responsible for that, including Howson. So we move on and I''ll look forward to seeing a new more dynamic midfield this season with someone else stepping into his shoes. I''ll wish him luck and I''ll applaud him at Middsbro, but the old regime is disappearing - which imo is a positive thing. 

why should our expectations be lowered?? We''re entering our second seasons parachute payments and realistically our last real chance at going back up barring a Lambert like miracle. Anything less than play offs and a promotion push should be considered failure again.

"Webber: ‘Unprofessional’ Jonny Howson was made to train alone before move from Norwich City to Middlesbrough."

Just read it. So the prize pupil, the model professional, the should-be captain and stalwart of the side had this streak in him after all.

How long has he existed at the club with this side of his character to the fore? Leading squad member too aye? Perhaps it explains some of the team''s failings in recent seasons? Where there''s smoke there''s fire after all and signing for ''Boro isn''t exactly any professional''s dream move. Hardly worth a tantrum.

Moving to his roots? My bum. He''s a Yorky isn''t he? Clearly the lacking of dominance that he exhibited on the field of play is also evident in his household as apparently his wife was involved in the decisions.

Are there many examples of City players doing this sort of thing? Steve Bruce was one, Sherwood? Keith O''Neill?

Goodbye then Jonny perhaps we''ll be better off without you and all the better for £5m in the kitty.

as i posted on the other thread

i heard last season under AN that some players missed training turning up late etc

some thought the were bigger than club moaning when not playing then missing training Lack of respect for the inexperienced AN

i can honestly say Howson was not mentioned in that group once

some have left one is still here there were some disrespectful players here

i have never heard a bad word about Howson from any from the coaching staff or any other members of the board / staff

We''re only better off if that £5m is reinvested in the defence. Otherwise we''ve sold a good player to plug a financial hole.

No need for Webber to kick the player on the way out just for the sake of some media point scoring.

Just over an hour commute from centre of Leeds to Boro.......

Anyway, a good way of softening the unhappy NCFC support for Jonny departing to new pastures is to say "Supposed want away Player Baaad......Selling Club, Goood!".......Oh ok, then it''s pitchfork back in the shed, placard stuffed into the cupboard and into a bucket to extinguish flaming torch. Then await the start of the season........

Is Webber telling porkies then?

Whenever I hear of a player anywhere exhibiting such tantrums I cringe. All the worse from a City player.

Their remuneration far exceeds that any supporter can dream of.

They work in a profession that is almost every schoolboy''s dream.

They have fame and recognition.

Supporters spend their own hard earned and have every right to expect total professionalism from every player at all times.

In Howson''s case it was he and his family who chose to pitch their tent in Norfolk yet seem to think he/they can just move on at will.

It''s not rocket science. It''s rank bad behaviour.

You''re obviously privy to the real truth and Mr Howson after 5 years is a rabble rouser and makes Kyle Lafferty look like a model committed professional footballer......

One side of the story is obviously the pure unadulterated truth then........

GIP I would agree to an extent, but I do also think supporters are often entitled to know more than they are usually told…knowing more about the context you can see the reasons for the sale.

I certainly don''t begrudge Howson wanting to return ''home'' - that''s not unreasonable - but something completely factual from what Webber''s said is that you should always expect is a proper professional attitude from players. Not least as even at Champs level they are paid astronomical amounts compared to the rest of us, all funded from our own hard earned cash.

"You''re obviously privy to the real truth and Mr Howson after 5 years is a rabble rouser and makes Kyle Lafferty look like a model committed professional footballer......"

Never said anything in the slightest.

What distorted piffle. Clearly Howson has never been a rabble rouser, but I am suggesting that this last tantrum of his indicates a side to his character hitherto unrevealed and which may or may not have been exhibited in the past. Not an unreasonable assumption.

I am just going on Webber''s words ... and nothing else as alas I am privy to nothing NCFC.

Repeat: Is Webber telling porkies? His words were not minced ...... like yours.