Sign in to follow this  
City 2nd

Johnny Howson

Confirmed to Middesborough. Undisclosed fee. Thanks for the memories Johnny. And good luck, but not at our expense!

[quote user="City 2nd"]Confirmed to Middesborough. Undisclosed fee. Thanks for the memories Johnny. And good luck, but not at our expense![/quote]You could''ve paid tribute to him by getting his name right. [:D]

Good player good memories and more still to come from him. Can''t blame him wanting to move, can''t blame us moving him on. I''d rather keep him tbh.

The bit I didn''t like was this comment on the official site:

"On Howson’s departure, Sporting Director Stuart Webber told canaries.co.uk: "Jonny, via his agent, made it very clear during my first week in the job he didn’t want to be here and wanted to move back to the north."

My question is what would have prompted him to say that he didn’t want to be here - instead of just saying that for family reasons he wanted to move back to the north?

Not sure why he (unless his agent was paraphrasing him) would say something like that about the club where he was named POTS a year ago. Not the best way to leave a club from whence there was no acrimony.

(It appears the club didn''t take too kindly to his comments as within an hour of the announcement, they took his details off the site)

Agree but can''t see the point of keeping him when he clearly didn''t want to stay. One of the biggest priorities of this Webber-led rebuild was getting rid of the players who don''t want to fight for Norwich. Better to cash in now than lose him for nothing in 12 months.
It''s a good signing for Boro, let''s hope he''s had his best days here.

I''m still waiting to read Dorrans'' and Howson''s glowing testimonials of Norwich City FC.....have I missed them?

[quote user="tired"]Agree but can''t see the point of keeping him when he clearly didn''t want to stay. One of the biggest priorities of this Webber-led rebuild was getting rid of the players who don''t want to fight for Norwich. Better to cash in now than lose him for nothing in 12 months.
It''s a good signing for Boro, let''s hope he''s had his best days here.
[/quote]
Ooops, forgot to quote. The above was a reply to KiwiScot.

@Basingstoke
"It appears the club didn''t take too kindly to his comments as within an hour of the announcement, they took his details off the site."
Alternatively Howson objected to the spin being put out by the club and the club backtracked. I''m not aware of any statement by the player himself to the effect that he wanted to leave.

A Load of Squit wrote the following post at 2017-07-07 9:48 PM:

City 2nd wrote:

Confirmed to Middesborough. Undisclosed fee. Thanks for the memories Johnny. And good luck, but not at our expense!

You could''ve paid tribute to him by getting his name right.

So could you. His real name is Jonathan!!

Truly gutted to see him go but we have to accept the position we''re in.

Without a billionaire investor and in the 2nd season without Premiership money we can''t retain too many players of this pedigree.

Boro have a classy player on their books.

[quote user="City 2nd"]A Load of Squit wrote the following post at 2017-07-07 9:48 PM:

City 2nd wrote:

You could''ve paid tribute to him by getting his name right.

So could you. His real name is Jonathan!![/quote]I didn''t mention his name so I didn''t get it wrong. [:D]

westcoastcanary wrote:

"Alternatively Howson objected to the spin being put out by the club and the club backtracked. I''m not aware of any statement by the player himself to the effect that he wanted to leave."

Not sure I understand your 1st sentence, - the only spin I saw being put out by the club was Farke''s effusive "love" of JH.

However, the second sentence sums up my confusion - I couldn''t understand why a player who had been POTS would say that he wanted to leave the club (instead of why he wanted to move to the north). Hence my suggestion that maybe his agent was paraphrasing what JH was saying

I''m not really that bothered by the he-said-she-said stuff - he''s gone, and that''s life. I''m sure we''d have kept him if it made sense to but his head was obviously not with staying here. We move on.

Sad and disappointed by this. Can''t believe he''s gone to a rival. Good enough for the Prem, probably more shocked he hasn''t gone to a prem side. Thanks for the memories Jonny.

On Howson’s departure, Sporting Director Stuart Webber told canaries.co.uk: "Jonny, via his agent, made it very clear during my first week in the job he didn’t want to be here and wanted to move back to the north."
Another positive is that we''ve apparently known for over two months that Howson intended to leave this summer. That gave Webber and his team plenty of time to identify potential replacements if we need one.

Always disappointing when a player of decent quality leaves, especially to what may be a rival. But for several seasons now we haven''t moved the ball quickly enough in midfield and Howson has been part of that. I wouldn''t be too disappointed to see Tettey follow him out of the door. These players have proven they are not up to the job at the top level, let''s hope there replacements are. I''d draw the line at losing Jerome though, a proven quality goal scorer at this level.

5 mil seems cheap considering today''s market. BUT losing Howson is not the end of the world. The guy was anonymous in midfield for many games. Never particularly influential. Massively overrated by many NCFC fans.

ShameBut inevitable due to Prem cash running out.Last chance this year then we become 1p5wich.

ricardo wrote the following post at 07/07/2017 8:03 PM:

Shame

But inevitable due to Prem cash running out.

Last chance this year then we become 1p5wich.

Pretty much. I pray this gamble on inexperience is a master stroke but fear it''s naive

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2017/july/webber-on-howson/
"We spoke with Jonny about a new contract but he was insistent. At the training camp this week he didn’t train properly and didn’t act in the manner that a professional should so it was decided he should train alone."

"Last chance this year then we become 1p5wich."

Except that we will have no debt, probable x2 number of season tickets will be sold, no rents to pay, a more valuable squad of players, Category A and FIRST AND FOREMOST the club will remain a much more attractive proposition for any prospective new owners .... as surely this will have to be very much on the cards considering Delia''s wealth or lack of it.

The alternative would be too awful to envisage, imo.

I note that one binner on TWTD forecast that if we should fail this coming season then the "balance" would be restored.

(Restored to what? The 1970-80s (whatever it was,) as they''ve achieved precious little since.)

Let us not start Mr. R.

I have a feeling Harrison Reed will prove to be a more dynamic version of Johnny Howson. Give him a few games and Howson will soon be forgotten. To get 5 years out of a player is good nowadays and this will be Howsons last move before retirement me thinks. As long as we got the right money, which I am assuming we did, then happy days are ahead

Good test of Webber this, and I think he has played it spot on. Leaving in this way was Howson''s choice and he''s got everything he wanted. On his day Howson was a good player, but sadly I didn''t see anywhere near enough last season. I don''t even think he will be a regular at Middlesborough, they have decent midfield players there, just lacked goals from the forwards.

[quote user="ricardo"]ShameBut inevitable due to Prem cash running out.Last chance this year then we become 1p5wich.[/quote]

Very true as we will have no owner to toss in £6 million a year to cover losses.

Either back in to bank loans, a new investor or years of struggle in the Championship.

It''s a shame Jonny chose to resort to some less than professional measures to get his move.

He''s been a bit of an icon for us in the last few years and it''s been slightly tarnished by his refusal to train in a proper manner

It will be interesting to see his reception at Carrow Road. I still hope he gets a good one, but we all know football fans don''t take kindly to this sort of thing.

I''m very surprised by Webbers comments ...really doesn''t sound like how you''d expect Howson to act.

Hope it isn''t club bull...t