Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

The defence ( again )

Prior the pre season we had Pinto, Klose, Martin and Toffolo, that was it. Since then we''ve added Zimmerman and as at today Pinto, Klose and Martin are injured !

Don''t panic. Don''t panic !!!!!!

Deja vu, the same question about the defence, the same reply by the same people........is it 2015....2016 or 2017?

Fair point, we''ve lost two senior ( though poor defenders) it''s an area of the team requiring some fresh faces.......so fair pint with just 5 weeks till the first game.

When we sign a left back, ill be interested to see who farke keeps to challenge them for a starting spot. Im sure most people would have thought it would definitely be toffolo, however apparently farke is a big fan of jamal lewis. And some saying he is preferred over toffolo

I''ve not seen much of Lewis, but Toffolo gets a good report when out on loan and to be fair the limited times I''ve seen him play looks no worse then others.

It''s good to see our own youngsters given the chance too.

Toffolo doesn''t always get in the team when he''s out on loan.

I would be surprised if he''s seriously in the plans.

Put it this way, he''s quite a way off being as good as Dijks and much further from Olsson.

Having released Bassong and Bennett then the replacements need to be as good if not better. Otherwise the entire exercise is farcical. Yet having seen the window thus far one gets a real feeling of cutting cloth and doing things on the cheap....which concerns me

As I think others have said, we probably wanted the money (or to free up wages) from Dorrans and Howson before investing in defensive players. So the fact they haven''t appeared yet is entirely expected.

I''m still confident the signings will come ... it''s just a point what sort of players will they be and will they be an improvement on what we had? You would think so , but we don''t have money to splash... We couldn''t hold on to Dijks and that did worry me... Let''s not panic too early!!!

Encouraging pre season from Lewis who appears to be out doing Toffolo, however I doubt whether either are ready for a season as starting LB a promotion pushing championship season, which is why LB is one of the areas being targeted in the management teams interviews. If we go three at the back and wing backs, wildschut could be any option, but we would need a huge improvement in his defensive ability, big and strong he may be but tackling, blocking, intercepting and tracking are weaknesses of his.

Without a doubt 1 or 2 CBs will be signed.

I do wonder whether we will need a further RB. Ivos pace and ability to get forward is a real bonus; but we miss him when he is not here and the current options appear to be either Godfrey (who has not impressed there and seems far better central) or Martin, who doesnt want to be there. Do we need a further option for Ivos very regular if fortunately short term absences?

No need to panic as yet.

[quote user="ZLF"]I do wonder whether we will need a further RB. Ivos pace and ability to get forward is a real bonus; but we miss him when he is not here and the current options appear to be either Godfrey (who has not impressed there and seems far better central) or Martin, who doesnt want to be there. Do we need a further option for Ivos very regular if fortunately short term absences? [/quote]I got the impression that Farke was trying Wildschut out in the wingback positions to see if that might be a possibility for him to cover or even play there if he impresses?I do think that a quality new CB and more proven LB are the absolute must have signings at this stage, and I wouldn''t mind another option upfront, regardless of whether or not CJ, Nelson or anyone else does leave.

Pinto out for four weeks, still no sign of RM and now Reed ( yes I know he is not a defender ) has also pulled a hamstring. At this rate should we re sign Bassong for a month.

They''ve said RM is likely to play at the weekend; seems Reed isn''t that bad an injury, just minor. The quote on Ivo was 4 weeks, but I wonder if that was from when he did it, rather than from now, as DF said he was ''not sure'' he''d be ready for the first game. There certainly seems to be more niggles than we''d like, but it does seem inevitable we''ll have some.

Well defensively things are moving on quite quickly now.

My research (hmm.) indicates that James Husband might well be a decent acquisition and I am beginning to warm to the idea of Toni Leistner coming to Carrow Road. Something should evolve on this front soon I feel.

Pasting from my other posting now as this is more relevant here:-

''With Husband, Leistner (and Reed) new to the squad I feel that the defensive jig-saw will be more or less complete, assuming Timm Klose stays.

There is some suggestion that Alex Neil or the AN style was not getting the best from our squad towards the end. This is another plus pointer for the coming season as far as I am concerned and presents a ready made advantage for Farke as these players will be up and ready to respond positively to change.

Klose might be number one in this respect because he is class. He might well be one of those dreaded high-earners that we seem to need to unload but we cannot expect success with an entire team of cheapies. Ref: ITFC.

It''s a balancing act and we have to have faith that Webber & Co. are capable of discernment when deciding who to keep on the books and why.

Leistner, Klose and Zimmermann as a choice of centre backs quite excites me in my tendency towards blind faith at this stage of the Summer.''

Martin will be about as back up and we have Pinto and Toffolo and Lewis within the set-up.

Suddenly it''s not looking too bad despite the ''unknown'' aspect of a part of it. Better than before.

This time last season Toffolo had a good preseason, yet ended out on loan and this year it is Lewis who is catching the eye and impressing with his energy - what fate awaits him.

We do still need CB options, I would like one who has a little pace and none have much of it at the moment, incl Leistner - a back three could sit deep and encourage a team on but in a 442 with pinto pressing forward we may continue to be exposed. Godfrey is still learning but currently def mid looks likely to be his best position for me.

Add in Pintos injury niggles, the likely reliance on Reed as the defensive marshall and it seems that we still have a little way to go to complete the defensive rebuild

the defence will be Key this year not just stopping but starting the play

since Farke has joined the training and tactics coaching have been building from the back short passing no long balls

now that will add extra pressure to the Defenders

we will likely see some mistakes along the way with slack passing etc but that will i am sure and told will benefit the team in the long run