Davenport was outstanding. Seems to have pace, ability on the ball and excellent aerial ability. Fantastic moment in the first half when he played a give and go and surged into the Ipswich box- Hansenesque. Might be interesting whether Tottenham do actually want him or not at the end of the loan- I assume that there could be the money to buy him at about £2-3m? He is quite left-footed however and this may be a problem in a partnership with Shackell. Very encouraging performance from Colin too. Only one real mistake and showed a lot of athleticism going forward. Docherty was ok and I hope he''s given a chance to establish himself.

The diamond shape worked well in the first half with McVeigh in the role. I don''t think it really suits Huckerby though playing just behind the front two, and we weren''t the same side after the break with McV pushed out on the right of the diamond. I think its probably Hux or Lisbie in this shape and not both. Other worry would be the amount of space in front of our full backs when we lose the ball. Probably could n''t play it against a team with a decent winger either side- not an issue really today with the one-paced Currie and Bowditch(?) filling in on the right after the sending off.  Ipswich, even with 10 men had a good spell of possession though after our goal, and were able to exploit the space, while we at times had a front 3 just watching the team defend from the halfway line.

Finally, Ipswich have big problems. I think they could very easily be dragged into a relegation battle this season, judging by the lack of both quality and depth in their squad now, and its pretty obvious they haven''t got any money to spend.     

Fantastic day!

I dont see there being a problem with both Shackell and Davenport being left footed, think about it. Most Premiership defences have two right-footed centre backs, in-fact England dont have any left-footed centre backs so this shouldnt be a problem. Is it just me or does a Davenprt/Shackell partnership remind you of a Hyppia/Carragher one? IMO we should do whatever we can to make the Davenport loan signing to the end of the season and then sign him perminantly the following season, but the only way hell come is if we are in the Prem and with this team we could be;GreenColin Davenport Shackell DruryMarney Hughes Safri HuckerbyAshton McViegh

Agree about the team selection. Fair point about the centre-backs too.

I don''t think the loan deal can be extended though- isnt it the same position as Hux 2 years ago?

[quote]Agree about the team selection. Fair point about the centre-backs too. I don''t think the loan deal can be extended though- isnt it the same position as Hux 2 years ago?[/quote]

You are right huck tastic - posted about this earlier in the week.  Davenport has to go pack to spurs on 11th Dec and the only way he can be back in Jan is if he signs permanently.  Do spurs want to sell and will we cough up the cash?  I guess it depends where we end up in the league come Dec.

With Marney at the club on a long term loan we cannot extend his loan for the rest of the season.

Shacks looks like a natural replacement for Davenport (preferably his partner), but if Davenport and Doc works so should shacks and doc.  

OTBC