Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Selling club

The prospective sale of young Murphy to Newcastle has once again given rise to the "selling club" taunt from those in disagreement with it.

Well that is our lot after all and whilst we flounder in the yo-yo environment it will continue to be the case. Even surviving in the Premier League for a period won''t change that either in all probability. There will always be the bigger or wealthier outfits ready to pounce.

It has led me to think about the significance of big sales in the past (or as far into the past as I can go.)

I put, in the following order the biggest losses to the club (or my biggest regrets really) when having to succumb to a predatory buyer:

1. Chris Sutton

2. Ron Davies

3. Kevin Reeves

4. Steve Bruce

5. Ruel Fox

Some will disagree, some will be able to go back further but it would be interesting to hear the views of others.

Jacob Murphy would be quite the way down on my list and below Nathan Redmond, but probably above Robbie Brady.

I put, in the following order, clubs who do not sell players

ummm

errr

"I put, in the following order, clubs who do not sell players."

May be you have missed the point?

No criticism of the club was intended as sales are inevitable.

My ''game'' was about what player sales amount to the biggest regrets in the view of us supporters.

A lot of tears are being shed about the potential loss of Jacob Murphy. I feel that we have had far greater losses in the past.

Nope well aware of what you point was, just adding mineHowever it would have to be, every time, Ron DaviesIt was like ripping a jewel out of an otherwise plain crownStill remember where I was (allotment) when I heard the newswelcome to the cruel world of football, son

My old boy used to go on a lot about a player called Jimmy Hill (not the chinned variety) who, as a third division side, we sold to Everton for £35, 000 only for him to spend most of the time languishing in their reserves.

He moaned and moaned about that loss. A sign of things to come though.

Reeves paid for the new River End supposedlyMany of those after the 70''s were not so unexpected however unwelcomethe sale of Ron Davies was a massive shock, Hugh Curran was a loss, but Davies carried a weight with supporters for a long while I can''t hear this without hearing the Ron Davies wordshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f3oHYRPw24

Robert Fleck to Chelsea. Was devastated when he left. His career took a downward turn straight after.