Sign in to follow this  
simmo_2

What would a realistic final position in championship 2017/18 be with the current squad on 14/07/17.

10th- 14th, squad needs more ball winners & leaders for a wet Friday night in Cardiff, hopefully this gets addressed before the season commences.

Top half finish would be good, top 6 finish outstanding considering the amount of positive changes the club has made.

Its a transition season for us so patience is key with supporters needing to lower the expectations.

Fuzzar wins this one Simmo.

And the even better news is if Simmo is predicting 10th, by the very nature of that the majority must have us down for a top 2 finish.

10th is about right, top 6 if we do tighten the back 4 up as we have Maddison, Pritchard, Oliviera Jerome and robably a Murphy or maybe two! Going forward we''ll score plenty. Much will depend on how we start the season, first couple months are key.

I present myself as the most positive so far and the list of attacking prowess presented above is just one of a few reasons that I can muster up.

I think that the club''s change around has been highly admirable and Farke seems to have something about him which suggests a quiet determination to succeed and an ability to achieve this.

The new boys please me, particularly Vrancic and Reed so all-in-all I expect us to be tickling the top-six from the off.

I also expect the Championship to begin to ape the Premier League in as much as eight or so clubs will be dominant from early doors with the others also rans.

I, for one, am hopeful of us being amongst that super-group.

Hic! (Damn kippers.)

Bookies have us joint 4th favourites which is about right.If the defence can perform to a decent standard especially away from home we will be fine .

I Can''t see a better midfield in this league and the forward line will score for fun. Quite looking forward to a different style of play with a coach who seems an upgrade on the last . Top 6 with ease for me .

Too early to say - I would be amazed if we finished below 9th and could finish in any position above that if it all clicks in place like the game of thrones intro credits.

I can see no reason why we can''t score as many goals again next season so a top-half finish should be nailed on. I''m concerned about whether Gunn can step up to a full season as a Number 1; it''s a big jump and how will he react when he makes his first mistake? Of course he might sail through the experience but it''s a much bigger risk than having Ruddy between the sticks and it''s a key position. We also need this centre-back signing to work, whether it be Franke or someone else. If the GK and CB positions work out then we''ll be in the top six.

My heart says top six. My head says 12-18th

But, lets be honest, this is due to a massive uknown as regards the new players. It is almost impossible to guess.

Will the defence be strong? All hinges on this.

[quote user="Dion Dublin Legend"] I''m concerned about whether Gunn can step up to a full season as a Number 1...it''s a much bigger risk than having Ruddy between the sticks and it''s a key position.[/quote]Is it though?Ruddy hasn''t looked anywhere near his best for the past 2 seasons, so whilst he might have experience on his side, his actual playing ability appears to have dropped somewhat compared to when he got his England call-up IMHO.I''d rather gamble on the raw talent and ability of Gunn, than settle in for a potential 3rd season of underperforming from Ruddy...

I have a feeling that we are going to have a tough start where fans, players, staff and board are going to have to remain strong and keep faith with what we are trying to achieve. Once we get over that, I hope we can make it to the play-offs, but my realistic expectation is that we finish 7th.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Dion Dublin Legend"] I''m concerned about whether Gunn can step up to a full season as a Number 1...it''s a much bigger risk than having Ruddy between the sticks and it''s a key position.[/quote]Is it though?Ruddy hasn''t looked anywhere near his best for the past 2 seasons, so whilst he might have experience on his side, his actual playing ability appears to have dropped somewhat compared to when he got his England call-up IMHO.I''d rather gamble on the raw talent and ability of Gunn, than settle in for a potential 3rd season of underperforming from Ruddy...[/quote]

I take your point, but let''s say Gunn drops a clanger against Fulham: how will he react? We don''t know, whereas we know Ruddy has extensive experience in the Prem and Championship regardless of whether he''s past his best or not. A related worry is if we do need to take Gunn out of the firing line at some stage it would be better to have an experienced number 2: Matthews carries the same risks as Gunn (I''m assuming Jones isn''t good ebnough for this level).

Good point DCB, a lot on here have preached doom and gloom...because Farke is unknown quantity...

But it might work out nicely...you just can''t predict

9th-14th for the majority of the season and a late charge into the playoff places.

Based on this team, I think a top 6 place is achievable.

Gunn

Pinto/Russ, New CB, Klose, Husband

Reed

Ja Murphy, Pritchard, Vrancic, Naismith

Oliveira

Then there''s Wes, Watkins, Josh, Toffolo, Maddison, Tettey Wildschut, Zimmerman, Jerome, Godfrey & the GKs to add to these.

[quote user="Woodman"]Based on this team, I think a top 6 place is achievable.

Gunn

Reed

Oliveira

Then there''s Wes, Watkins, Josh, Toffolo, Maddison, Tettey Wildschut, Zimmerman, Jerome, Godfrey & the GKs to add to these.[/quote]

Looks good on paper, proof will be at Fulham

Top 10 realistic for me, top six will be excellent and an automatic place amazing. Liking what i hear from Farke / Webber but keeping my expectations in in check until we have 10 or 12 games under our belts.

Please sky are not having us on too early.

Such a difficult one to say on the 14th of July of a close season where te club is having such a huge shake up in management personnel, playing staff and in set up and style, added to the fact that its still ongoing to. Also of note is the Championship as a whole, many other clubs are seemingly strengthening their squads with  money  flowing from new foreign owners.For what its worth right now, mid table. With a punt on Leeds and Fulham for top spots.

CANARYKING wrote the following post at 14/07/2017 8:24 PM:

Based on this team, I think a top 6 place is achievable.

Gunn

Reed

Oliveira

Then there''s Wes, Watkins, Josh, Toffolo, Maddison, Tettey Wildschut, Zimmerman, Jerome, Godfrey & the GKs to add to these

Looks good on paper, proof will be at Fulham

Proof will not be at Fulham ffs!

The new look squad will need time to gel.

think youll see a club in major crisis after the first 10 games, inexperienced manager, kamikaze transfer policy, squad struggling to gel, downbeat players with the established ones (those that are left) with heads down and wanting out, crowd on their back

i think farke & webber will struggle to finish above 17th

I don''t think we have enough for top six. That could change with good signings but as it stands about 8th to 10th IMO. Really not sure if Webber and Farke are going to deliver great results. Saving lots of money with ambition to play good football, but lacking the quality at this stage.

A really good season would see us playing good football and scoring plenty of goals - and that should happen, given the quality players left over from last season.  The results will undoubtedly be mixed to start with, but should improve as the season progresses.So a top-half team all season, with a push for the play-offs near the end - and if things go well, even getting in the top two. Key for me is where we are at the end of the season,not the beginning, or even half way through.  Patience will be needed.

LDC, we played decent football and scored plenty of goals last season and we never looked like the play offs because the one thing you failed to mention that is vital continually happened! We conceded sloppy goals!

Do you really think the squad looks stronger at the moment than last season when we have downgraded a lot of high earners to loans or unknown Germans?

I hope we will have a decent season but sadly feel that with so many unknown quantities in the squad we will do well to finish in the top 10