Sign in to follow this  
Coq au vin

Cambridge Friendly Thread

[quote user="Herman"]So what are we supposed to do? Only play Prem opposition in friendlies? No friendlies at all, and risk going into a season unprepared? Damned if you do etc.....[/quote]A good way to do it would be to scrap friendlies and have a pre-season tournament between three or four clubs. It would then be seen as competitive and more like the real thing. 

FenwayFrank wrote the following post at 16/07/2017 5:32 PM:

The intelligence levels appear to be dropping on here, and they weren''t that high in the first place !

We haven''t had one for awhile so........ Huzzah!

Play foreign teams! French if we want a physical but not dirty challenge, Spanish and German teams to test us technically.

I have no idea why we play clubs like Stevenage (hard working but fair) and Cambridge (Dirty b45t4rds) when we could get a better test and draw bigger crowds playing foreign sides

I think playing lower league teams help. How many teams are we going to play this season that will knock the ball about all game and play little 1-2 and possession. We struggled last year because we couldnt deal with the physical side of some teams. We need to get used to big tackles and teams that will lump it up to their big striker. Struggled far too often against that last season

Brings a whole new meaning to the word friendly.

Haven''t seen the injuries, were they simply mis-timed challenges or was it players being reckless?

Here has to be a code of conduct around these games to prevent challenges just flying in.

[quote user="Herman"]Yes, playing Stevenage and Cambridge is all about bringing money into the coffers. Millions upon millions of much needed cash. [/quote]

I said it''s money orientated, not that it brings millions to the coffers. If it wasn''t anything to do with Money, why not allow free tickets for friendlies?

It''s also a good platform for PR, and kit releases, etc etc. If you don''t think the club look at the financial benefit of friendlies you are very naive. Even if it just Stevenage and Cambridge, localish sides that will attract a decent number of Norwich fans.

Anyway, it''s detracting from the point. I don''t think 8 preseason games along with a full preseason fitness regime is required. By the time we''re in November and played numerous sat - tue - sat games, do you think we''ll reeping the benefit of all these games? I don''t.

Getting a preseason base fitness is important. Match sharpness is also important, but friendlies only get you sharp for the first handful of games. The friendlies is gone by September, where match sharpness and form is determined by the handful of league games in august.

So do we, or any other club, really need to play more than 3 freindlies at the end of July to get match sharp for august?

I''d argue playing more only contributes to player burnout.

[quote user="Horse Renoir"]Play foreign teams! French if we want a physical but not dirty challenge, Spanish and German teams to test us technically.

I have no idea why we play clubs like Stevenage (hard working but fair) and Cambridge (Dirty b45t4rds) when we could get a better test and draw bigger crowds playing foreign sides[/quote]

Not always a better test. The major continental

leagues start later than the Championship (La Liga and the Bundesliga,

for example, begin two weeks later). So the teams are much further

behind in terms of preparation. And what has happened in the past is

that we have found we are playing some team who are then playing someone

else the next, or they have played the day before. In other words we

have nowhere near played their likely starting eleven at close to full

fitness, but half their squad at nothing like full fitness.

lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel) wrote the following post at 16/07/2017 9:01 PM:

Herman wrote:
Yes, playing Stevenage and Cambridge is all about bringing money into the coffers. Millions upon millions of much needed cash.

I said it''s money orientated, not that it brings millions to the coffers. If it wasn''t anything to do with Money, why not allow free tickets for friendlies?

It''s also a good platform for PR, and kit releases, etc etc. If you don''t think the club look at the financial benefit of friendlies you are very naive. Even if it just Stevenage and Cambridge, localish sides that will attract a decent number of Norwich fans.

Anyway, it''s detracting from the point. I don''t think 8 preseason games along with a full preseason fitness regime is required. By the time we''re in November and played numerous sat - tue - sat games, do you think we''ll reeping the benefit of all these games? I don''t.

Getting a preseason base fitness is important. Match sharpness is also important, but friendlies only get you sharp for the first handful of games. The friendlies is gone by September, where match sharpness and form is determined by the handful of league games in august.

So do we, or any other club, really need to play more than 3 freindlies at the end of July to get match sharp for august?

I''d argue playing more only contributes to player burnout.

Two words, Sports Science!

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]The intelligence levels appear to be dropping on here, and they weren''t that high in the first place ![/quote]I am sure you will be making that point elsewhere FF. [;)]

Ah bless, getting all defensive again. Having more than one forum for our club really does hurt your feelings doesn''t it ?

Not at all FF there could be a hundred for all i care, it is just posters who post on here and then slag it off on others that i find weird.

[quote user="Van wink"]Brings a whole new meaning to the word friendly.

Haven''t seen the injuries, were they simply mis-timed challenges or was it players being reckless?

Here has to be a code of conduct around these games to prevent challenges just flying in.[/quote]The Pritchard one was on the highlights, and it definitely seemed as if the player made a good tackle. Alex was about to pull the trigger and he stretched out a leg and won the ball cleanly as far as I could see. They didn''t show the tackle on Klose, but the commentators on RN and Michael Bailey both thought it was an extremely careless challenge.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Herman"]Yes, playing Stevenage and Cambridge is all about bringing money into the coffers. Millions upon millions of much needed cash. [/quote]

I''d argue playing more only contributes to player burnout.[/quote]
Dunno, I get a feeling all these physio''s, sport scientists and other professionals within the clubs across the country have a rough idea what they''re doing.

@hoegsar

Exactly. Not to mention that this season we''re going to have 8 or 9 new players who need to gel.

If we only played 3 friendly as suggested by Lincoln we''d never get to try out different combinations of players and tactics.

What did people think to Wildschut at Cams? First time I''ve really seen him play for longer than 15 mins. Looked slow and indecisive to me. No forethought to passing and nervous on the ball.

I keep desperately wanting to see a good player in there but I''m not sure he''s good enough for this squad.

There are friendlies and there are friendlies ... we''ve had some good ones over the past few seasons and against some decent foreign outfits as well.

The Cambridge players are not that good. They need to impress as well though. The only way they can impress against better opposition is to get stuck in.

Perhaps they may have overdone it, but I''m quite sure the Fulham players will be up for it as well and the teams for the remaining forty three games will also get stuck in. Injuries will therefore be a common and frequent.

Farke seemed to hint that there was an unexpected degree of zeal from some of the Cambridge players. This may be construed as unnecessary in a warm-up game, especially as all players are more vulnerable to injury when getting up to speed.

Right or wrong, I wouldn''t want us to play that side again in a pre-season friendly. The cost of Saturday could prove to be way in excess of any benefit gained.

BroadstairsR wrote the following post at 17/07/2017 10:17 AM:

Perhaps they may have overdone it, but I''m quite sure the Fulham players will be up for it as well and the teams for the remaining forty three games will also get stuck in. Injuries will therefore be a common and frequent.

I make it remaining 45 games, or have I missed something.

Last time I looked there was 24 teams in the league. 😋😁