Sign in to follow this  
Oswald Cobblepot

Jacob staying??

According to media reports this morning, Newcastle have gone in with a bid of 10mil for Liverpool''s young winger Sheyi Ojo. Is it just me or does that not sound suspiciously like the 10mil they were prepared to give us for young Jacob?

Don''t know much about Ojo tbh but this sounds to me like Benitez might now be looking elsewhere if Webber and co. have stood their ground over the asking price. Fingers crossed he stays!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4031688/newcastle-united-10m-sheyi-ojo-liverpool/amp/

I think they want both Ojo and Murphy as they look to improve their options in wide positions. Ojo will be a loan deal as Liverpool don''t want to sell.

George Caulkin (Newcastle''s version of Nick Mashiter) has said that Norwich and Newcastle are very close on terms and that the deal ''should'' be struck soon. Still feels like a matter of when, not if, with Murphy leaving.

I''m not sure it''s that close.

He''s gone on the tour, if it was close why risk taking him on tour with the risk of him getting injured.

I''d suggest there is still some way to go yet before this one is resolved and rightly so it seems as though we are holding out for what we value him at.

I''d have expected us to take him whether or not a deal is close - Germany is only a couple of hours and to have left him behind would have given out completely the wrong signal: he''s still our player unless/until there''s an acceptable bid. How much he plays this week is another thing - but as he''s only just back in training he''d maybe not feature that much yet anyway.

I saw a message that Newcastle were also on tour in Germany, fuelling speculation that he would travel out with one team and come back with another. So I checked... they play Mainz on 29th July and Wolfsburg on 2nd Aug - so we''ll be safely back in Norfolk by then!

My point was that if it was as close as some media seem to think, would they really be happy for a double figure purchase to be risky himself on a tour (if it is that close)

Maybe it''s our way of saying exactly that, he''s ours until you pay up so either pay up or shut up 🤔

you often get other clubs looking at other players like the lad from Liverpool its all part of the sell us Murphy for 10 mill or we will spend it elsewhere game

so Norwich have countered by saying we will take him to Germany on tour and play him

If a team can sign a player from south america on deadline day i am sure Newcastle can sign Murphy in Germany so could happen any time

Just a thought. A friend of mine made a valid point about why Jacob might want the move. He and Josh are competing for a place with one another at the moment. It looks unlikely they''d both be likely to start games together so Jacob may feel it''s best for him to take this opportunity not only to progress himself. It also free his space up so that Josh can in theory push on hadn''t thought about that. It it''s a fair point I think.

I imagine we took him to Germany to prove we don''t have to sell and they are sniffing after Liverpool player to prove they don''t have to buy and it is all part of the bargaining over price

Multiple sources, including Micheal Bailey saying £12.5 has been accepted. Have to admit I''m really disappointed about this one; we held the cards with a long contract and an exciting young English talent, really it should be £15m BEFORE add ons. Watch him play his way into the England picture....

There must be someone lined up to calm the storm that will follow this; him, Pritchard and Nelson are the 3 that would cause the most unrest amongst the locals!

Would have liked 15m plus add-ons tbh, but as we don''t know the full details it''s hard to criticise as we may have good add-ons with the 12.5m deal, and possibly even a percentage of next sale which could be worth a lot or very little.Personally I will be sad to see Jacob go as he was really starting to mature as a player and could have had a good role in this season''s challenge, but I can''t fault him overly much if there''s a good deal on offer from Newcastle who are very much still a massive club, who can offer premier league football, more fans per game, and likely higher wages as well.Let''s face it, it would take a very brave or very confident young man to pass up that sort of opportunity in this stage of his career tbh.Good luck in the future Jacob - OTBC.

Disappointing, but i''m guessing at 22 they probably feel as other have mentioned that Josh is a ready made replacement. Lets not forget up until last season Josh was the more talented. 12m is decent but still little cheap considering what other teams were paying for older players in this division and the length of contract, i''m hoping there are some big add-ons in there. For Jacob himself however i''m not sure this is the brightest move, time will tell.

I think it''s a fair price for where he''s at at the moment. Bournemouth spaffed £15m on Ibe last year - a player with actual Prem experience and he''s been disappointing.

Young players are a risk.

So, Jacob gone to his supposed favourite team. Who does Josh support?

TBH, although I like the next Norwich fan always get behind homegrown talent, I''m not too worried about this loss. Josh still here and with Pritchard / Maddison / Vrancic / Hoolahan creating chances and Farke preferring his full-backs bombing on with a back three, I think it was inevitable that there were midfielders / wingers surplus to requirements. A good bit of business unless like with Redmond we see Jacob commanding £50 million plus fees in 12 months time.

@norfolkngood - Didn''t you say this was a done deal? Or did I imagine that?

yes i did say this was a done deal last week i also said today it could happen any time i also said taking murphy was a hurry up to Newcastle but what do i know !!!

[quote user="shefcanary"]A good bit of business unless like with Redmond we see Jacob commanding £50 million plus fees in 12 months time.[/quote]Which in itself would be great if we happen to have a percentage clause in the sale terms!

"A good bit of business unless like with Redmond we see Jacob commanding £50 million plus fees in 12 months time."

Yep! But the main add-on, if there is one, has to be most definitely a sizeable portion of any sell-on fee in the event that Jacob reaches the stars.

I don''t think he will actually. Newcastle could well be his limit and there is that possibility that his introduction to the Premier League may not run as smoothly as some think.

[quote user="shefcanary"]So, Jacob gone to his supposed favourite team. Who does Josh support?

TBH, although I like the next Norwich fan always get behind homegrown talent, I''m not too worried about this loss. Josh still here and with Pritchard / Maddison / Vrancic / Hoolahan creating chances and Farke preferring his full-backs bombing on with a back three, I think it was inevitable that there were midfielders / wingers surplus to requirements. A good bit of business unless like with Redmond we see Jacob commanding £50 million plus fees in 12 months time.[/quote]

Who is buying Redmond for 50mil? they must be nuts. Good at times but nowhere near that good. Although Southampton certainly have the midas touch i would though even for them that would be a push.

I posted a couple days ago wishing him well etc etc, some thought i was jumping the gun a bit even thou i did not say the deal was done, but this whole past week you could see at Newcastles end it was a matter of getting Jacob for Rafa, he was insistent to Ashley about the importance of signing Jacob.Anyway, its done now and 12.5 million for Jacob is a big amount, im sure DF and SW can make good use of it. It will not weaken our squad in my view, as it would have had this been Olly leaving, im really looking forward to the new season, even the rest of the transfer window, with much optimism.

Thing is he''s a risk - he could as easily turn into an injury risk like Jarvis as a Ronaldo; of course somewhere in between is far more likely.

We''ve got a decent fee, holding on gained us over 50% on their opening offer, 25% on their ''take it or leave it'' one. AN wasn''t all bad for getting him to sign that 4 year deal!

As a Newcastle fan, I''m happy with this transfer. £12m (+ add ons) for a promising youngster, in an area we need to strengthen. Also I''m hoping this kick starts our recruitment drive.

How''s his defensive contributions?

[quote user="The Fish"]As a Newcastle fan, I''m happy with this transfer. £12m (+ add ons) for a promising youngster, in an area we need to strengthen. Also I''m hoping this kick starts our recruitment drive.

How''s his defensive contributions?[/quote]

Have a look at our defensive record last season, might give an indication at how good any of our players defensive contributions were.

birchfest wrote the following post at 2017-07-17 8:25 PM:

Multiple sources, including Micheal Bailey saying £12.5 has been accepted. Have to admit I''m really disappointed about this one; we held the cards with a long contract and an exciting young English talent, really it should be £15m BEFORE add ons. Watch him play his way into the England picture....

There must be someone lined up to calm the storm that will follow this; him, Pritchard and Nelson are the 3 that would cause the most unrest amongst the locals!

How on earth do you think an untried premiership u21 player, who was in the main poor at the end of last season, and eclipsed by his brother, s worth 15 million £. I''m sure we have the better side of the deal, and have retained the better player. Good luck to Josh, but I don''t see him getting too much game time at NUFC until he learns how to track back and how to defend!

Over the years I''ve seen many of our " best " players move on, I wouldn''t include Jacob on my list.

What I would add is if any, yes any player wants to move on and not play for us anymore they can ................. into the sunset.