Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Are The Books Balanced Yet ?

For the 2017/18 season we have shifted the large majority of the deadwood who were on big money, received towards £20 million for Murphy,Howson,Dorrans and Rudd and are going to get around £30 million in parachute payments.In other words the wage bill has been reduced substantially and we will have an income if you include gate receipts of around £60 ish million. I have not include sponsorship,catering or merchandise which i appreciate in this day and age is not going to be great as far as football finances are concerned.How much will Daniel Farke have to spend and are we still going to watch the pennies ?

They''ve spent it already.Delia''s getting a new silk scarf.Etty is getting a new cosy blanket.MWJ is getting a full Vape kit.Ed is getting some new tap shoes.Danny Farke is getting some ''for sure for men'' deodourant.Nephew Tom is getting a copy of Simon Jordan''s book.The rest will be spent on inncreased scampi portions.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]I wonder if the wallet is empty?[/quote]Good question HHS and the last time i asked in June last year following relegation i got jumped all over for suggesting that might be the case.

What it shows is how stupidly expensive it is to even run a medium sized football club. At the end of the day parachute payments are intended to buy clubs time to get their house in order, i know most clubs dont use those funds in that way and it feels frustrating that we seem to be the only ones doing it, but at the end of the day thats what it was intended for.

It''s easier to run football clubs if you don''t bury your your heads in the sand and try and get some form of outside investment!

Outside investment?

Dictionary definition of "investment":-

" ........ the investing of money or capital in order to gain profitable returns, as interest, income, or appreciation in value."

Not so easy then.

Where is your money then? Mine''s in stocks and shares not football clubs.

And if the people running said club dont sack failing managers when they were clearly out of their depth, then compound the problem by keeping the failing manager after relegation out of some misguided sense of loyalty. Maybe relegation and all the money troubles that come with could''ve been avoided altogether

[quote user="Dorset Canary"]I believe most of the money was wasted by McNally and Moxey hence their departures. McNally.

Surely AN can only be blamed for tactics???[/quote]

But AN most have also identified some of the players, he''s hardly an innocent victim in this. However i agree it''s certainly not all down to him.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="Dorset Canary"] [/quote]

But AN most have also identified some of the players, he''s hardly an innocent victim in this. However i agree it''s certainly not all down to him.[/quote]

Yellowbeagle, correct of course he isn''t exempt from blame but he didn''t conduct negotiations. Think McNally wasted a fair share but Moxey was a non starter.

Clearly AN lost it eventually but he has massive respect from me for getting us back in the Prem.

I believe the biggest failing was those not really supporting him. Then once things started to go wrong last season it was the tipping point for self destruct.

If or when Murphy goes, I don''t think he''ll get replaced.

We have Wilderschut, Murphy 2 and Middleton coming through.

I think we have his replacement already at the club.

If Jacob leaves then we''ve made £30m+ in player sales since January, while probably spending only about £10m in fees tops.

We also reportedly trimmed £5m off the wage bill with our releases, plus whatever wages Howson, Dorrans, Rudd and Murphy were on.

If at this point we still can''t reinvest then we''re in a bad way.

what it says is that delia and wynn jones cant afford to run a competitive football club in the modern sporting economy.what it says is that they dont care and are happy to languish mid table and probably worse just to "keep it local"what it also says in very bold capitals is "these farkein local idiots will keep turning up in their droves week in week out even if we are in the 4th tier so it really doesnt matter how well we do from a footballing perspective"

[quote user="iron_stan"]what it says is that delia and wynn jones cant afford to run a competitive football club in the modern sporting economy.what it says is that they dont care and are happy to languish mid table and probably worse just to "keep it local"what it also says in very bold capitals is "these farkein local idiots will keep turning up in their droves week in week out even if we are in the 4th tier so it really doesnt matter how well we do from a footballing perspective"[/quote]Do you go to matches, Stan? If so, I presume you''re going to stop going if you think you''re being taken advantage of? Or alternatively take a stand against the ownership by doing something a bit more proactive than mouthfarting all over an internet forum?

Once the parachute payments finish at the end of the season, we have to be spending about 70 million less than we were in our last premier season. Most of this will have to come from players wages.We have to budget for being a company that had a turnover of around £30 million when it was just under £100 million. I should imagine that they will seek to reduce the wages budget by around 75% of its 14-15 level.

The problem is that some will not want to move and will see out their contracts, meaning that a significant proportion of the massively reduced wages budget will go on "dead wood." So, realistically, some of the revenue from player sales will have to go towards subsidising the wages budget until we can get rid of them - in the case of players like Jarvis, this is likely to be at the end of their contract, unless we pay them a very large proportion of the contract to just go. So no, the books are not yet balanced. But if we get promotion....