Sign in to follow this  
iron_stan

for those waffling about the 'good of the academy'

and how the murphy money can keep it running, keep its status etcwhat a LOAD of total sh1t3!!!weve not produced any decent players from the academy for an eternity, the murphys were signed from luton for starters, and anyone else who has shown promise has pretty much moved for free or very very little, we arent chelsea!  we arent exactly loaning out starlets that arent good enough for the first team and then selling them for 20 mill, if you want to progress as a club you need to retain these players and benefit from their footballing ability on the pitch in yellow and green not shop them off the minute a premier league club makes a derisory offer.Weve barely blooded any of these youngsters in the last 5 years! probably longer!

theres no point HAVING an academy for a club like city if the fruit it very rarely bears is sold off on the cheap at the market when its not even close to being ripe

£12 million for Murphy is cracking business from NCFC.

One solid season in the Championship! No Premier League experience. Not THAT young at 22. Could be a class player at Newcastle, but based on what he''s achieved at Norwich and with the England U21''s - £12M is a good deal.

You could''ve brought Will Hughes and Chabolah for less than £12M and there both seasonal England U21 players with tonnes of experience for there ages.

[quote user="iron_stan"]and how the murphy money can keep it running, keep its status etcwhat a LOAD of total sh1t3!!!weve not produced any decent players from the academy for an eternity, the murphys were signed from luton for starters, and anyone else who has shown promise has pretty much moved for free or very very little, we arent chelsea!  we arent exactly loaning out starlets that arent good enough for the first team and then selling them for 20 mill, if you want to progress as a club you need to retain these players and benefit from their footballing ability on the pitch in yellow and green not shop them off the minute a premier league club makes a derisory offer.Weve barely blooded any of these youngsters in the last 5 years! probably longer!

theres no point HAVING an academy for a club like city if the fruit it very rarely bears is sold off on the cheap at the market when its not even close to being ripe

[/quote]
Really? I thought he played for Pitshanger boys club, Chelsea and QPR before joining our Under 12s.

[quote user="Lewis DW"]£12 million for Murphy is cracking business from NCFC.

One solid season in the Championship! No Premier League experience. Not THAT young at 22. Could be a class player at Newcastle, but based on what he''s achieved at Norwich and with the England U21''s - £12M is a good deal.

You could''ve brought Will Hughes and Chabolah for less than £12M and there both seasonal England U21 players with tonnes of experience for there ages.[/quote]

hughes was 8 mill and chalobah was 6 plus add ons, i agree they are bargains but my point is why sell? we arent going to get a better player for any cheaper and whats the point in having an academy if you dont USE the very rare and few talents you get in the team to progress the clubwho the fuck are city going to sign for that money thats going to be a better player??

club only going one direction and its not towards the premier leagueno ambition, no money, no progression

I agree, all well and good getting £12m in the bank, nice one well done - but now who the hell are you going to get to come here to replace him with?

No point having money in the bank and doing f-a with it. Makes me laugh, the people who criticise the Chase regime for selling our best players and not re-investing the money are the ones who say the club do "cracking business" these days when we sell a player for peanuts.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]I agree, all well and good getting £12m in the bank, nice one well done - but now who the hell are you going to get to come here to replace him with?

No point having money in the bank and doing f-a with it. Makes me laugh, the people who criticise the Chase regime for selling our best players and not re-investing the money are the ones who say the club do "cracking business" these days when we sell a player for peanuts.[/quote]THISand what an UNATTRACTIVE proposition this club is to talented players who want to challenge for top flight football this season!the clubs momentum is downwards and the only people to blame are the board

Just because you don''t know of any good players that could replace him, it doesn''t mean they don''t exist. Webber and Farke wouldn''t have allowed the transfer if they didn''t think it would allow us to have a better squad overall by the end of the window.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]I agree, all well and good getting £12m in the bank, nice one well done - but now who the hell are you going to get to come here to replace him with?[/quote]We already have - Marley Watkins.Compare last seasons stats:Watkins - 10 goals and 7 assists in a pi$$ poor Barnsley sideJa.Murphy - 9 goals and 6 assists in our side (which is DEFINITELY better than Barnsley''s)Watkins is also a more consistent passer of the ball and will help defensively more.On top of that we also still have Josh who''s a ready made replacement as well!Really isn''t the doom and gloom it''s being made out to be tbh.

How long have we had a Category 1 academy? How long would it realistically be expected to take to develop a young player from start to finish? It will take time, have a little patience.And the money probably hasn''t even reached our bank account and posteres are complaining we haven''t reinvested it!

There are some who will moan and slag of the club come what mayUnsurprisingly the are the same fok everytimeI believe dear old Laptop has an appropriate photoso whilst we wait I suggest you ignore them(as whatever you say won''t stop them from reappearing here)

You say who are you going to sign who''s better for less money.

You do realise the English market is well over inflated

.Young English players cost probably twice the amount as a German or Dutch equivalent.

There''s players out there who are better and who will cost a lot less than Jacob Murphy.

[quote user="Move Klose"]You say who are you going to sign who''s better for less money.

You do realise the English market is well over inflated

.Young English players cost probably twice the amount as a German or Dutch equivalent.

There''s players out there who are better and who will cost a lot less than Jacob Murphy.[/quote]Josh Murphy

To be fair whilst i''m not thrilled about selling Murphy it is a good example of the Academy starting to work for us; and we''ve put quite a lot of work into scouting and buying younger players.

Southampton have prospered and become a topic of longing and envy amongst a section of Canary fans because they are fairly well established as a Premier League side and are not afraid to spend the money or invest in the wages if, for them, the right player comes along.

£16 million spent on Boufal, £14 million on Gabbiadini.

Money made from selling players including those who have come through their academy which is held up as being one of the best in the country-and, when you see who they have put through and either are playing now or have financially prospered from, its hard to argue that it isn''t.

Their policy of selling players certainly isn''t putting any off from joining them-its suggested in this thread that no-one will want to join us as we are selling the likes of Jacob and that others may follow.

But, just as players see Saints as a step up still-mainly because they want to be one of those that are eventually sold to a big club for a lot of money, then players will still want to join us for the same reasons. Vranic hasn''t come here for a long career with us, he sees us as the best chance he has of progressing and getting a big move himself one day, same with Madders and others.

Saints were wheeler dealing just as we are not so long ago-4 in for just £150,000 2010/11 and 9 out, all frees; 11 in for 2009/10 for under £2 million and a further 9 out.

They recruited sensibly and focused on their academy to get where they are now. Looks like we are, finally, going to focus on doing the same.

Thank feck for that, its about time.

The best of luck to Jacob-we can''t argue that, as a club, we should show ambition and then deny one of our own the opportunity to want to do the same himself. Just as Marley Watkins was doing exactly that when he chose to leave Barnsley to come here.

The irony is a lot of people have said you could not play both Murphys in the same starting XI, so having 2 was always going to prevent one from developing further.

We have sold (or as good as) Jacob for 12million, leaving us with Josh - who I believe is the better footballer out of the 2.

We now have Murphy, Pritchard, Hoolahan, Watkins, Naismith and Maddison all vying for the starting spots behind Oliviera.

I don''t think losing Jacob has significantly weakened us, especially compared to the loss that Pritchard or Oliviera would be. In fact, selling Jacob may give us the wiggle room to keep those 2 players

I did say as soon as we applied for category ''A'' statue at a cost of over 2 million a year, that it was a waist of money and we would never make a profit.  

Please don''t keep saying Josh will be a replacement for Jacob.

He is, by far, the better of the two and always was.

I have often thought this about the Academy

As it costs 3 million a year and only 1 % ( guess ) make it to professional football

i wondered if we scrapped all the teams up to under 16 saving shed loads of money there

and had 3 teams under 17 /19 /23 ''s

but we signed all the released players from 16 years old from Man utd , Man city ,Liverpool ,Tottenham ,and chelsea that we could get

if it would give us a better % they might never get in the big 5 teams but i am sure the % would be higher to get into our team than it is at present ??

i know we would miss out on Norfolk based players but how many make it anyway ?

just a thought i am only thinking of the free released not the youth at chelsea on 10k a week

[quote user="iron_stan"]and how the murphy money can keep it running, keep its status etcwhat a LOAD of total sh1t3!!!weve not produced any decent players from the academy for an eternity, the murphys were signed from luton for starters, and anyone else who has shown promise has pretty much moved for free or very very little, we arent chelsea!  we arent exactly loaning out starlets that arent good enough for the first team and then selling them for 20 mill, if you want to progress as a club you need to retain these players and benefit from their footballing ability on the pitch in yellow and green not shop them off the minute a premier league club makes a derisory offer.Weve barely blooded any of these youngsters in the last 5 years! probably longer!

[/quote]

Let me get this straight. You are complaining about us having an academy when it has produced a player we have just sold for £12m or more who otherwise would have been playing against us?

I''m proud of our Academy/Youth set-up.

The "Pride of Anglia" to coin a phrase and neither do I think that it has done as badly as some make out as the leagues in England and Scotland have been quite blessed with our various youngsters over the years and now.

The occasional £12.5m windfall stands out as the big, big bonus, but a lot of other sales are the bread and butter of this enterprise.

R. Green, C. Martin, J. Shackell, T. Adeymi. K. Smith from the top of my head all currently plying. Some could add more no doubt.

Of course there are also quite a few waiting in the wings at Carrow Road ... more than ever before in my memory, whilst the Academy''s very existence along with it''s facilities also helps with the progress of imports such as Madisson. Ebou Adams and others, including this young Belgian striker.

The real impact of category 1/EPPPPPPP should start sowing itself over the next few years. Jacob and Josh were already pretty old when that would have kicked in.

Exactly KS and that is why i specified Academy/Youth set-up.

The benefits, including many over our rivals down the road, will fructify from now onwards.