Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Don't we actually need more strikers?

The defence has of course been an issue to address but do we not urgently need two back ups for Nelson & Jerome? One injury in the next two weeks and we are stuffed?

I think we could do with one, someone who maybe offers something different. However i think two would probably be more than we need unless the manager is going to move away from a 1 up top on a regular basis even then i think we have players who can fill a gap there like Josh Murphy or Watkins.

Watkins can play as a striker as well as a wide man.

I guess Norwich will bring in another striker if they now intend to use Watkins as Murphy''s replacement. If not they will probably bring in another wide player. I wouldn''t be surprised if a loanee striker was brought in allowing Watkins to become the first choice right winger.

If Norwich are cost cutting you don''t want to have 3 high level strikers at the club as one of them will get next to no game time (and strikers famously command the biggest wages/transfer fees).

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Watkins can play as a striker as well as a wide man.

I guess Norwich will bring in another striker if they now intend to use Watkins as Murphy''s replacement. If not they will probably bring in another wide player. I wouldn''t be surprised if a loanee striker was brought in allowing Watkins to become the first choice right winger.

If Norwich are cost cutting you don''t want to have 3 high level strikers at the club as one of them will get next to no game time (and strikers famously command the biggest wages/transfer fees).[/quote]

Agree, i think if a third striker is to come in it''ll be someone with potential and possibly in mind to bridge the gap left by either a Jerome or Nelson transfer in the future.

My calculations were that Morris would be in the equation but his loan seems to suggest that he is not quite ready.

Even so we did need a.n. other striking option and I was favouring an up and coming from the lower leagues such as this Marquis (nb. not marquee) fellow that that wily old dinosaur Mick McCarthy is reported to be eyeing up.

However, I think we can do better than that and a bit of expenditure on a more proven high level scorer won''t go amiss.

Morris''s departure makes this an essential as I do not think we should rely on the Naismith/Watkins cover that some favour.

My dreams were suggesting Dwight Gayle as part of the Newcastle deal but realistically he has, in record time, become far too expensive for us so how''s about a decent striker from abroad? Surely the Webber-Farke network have one or two up their sleeve.

For every Rip Van Winkle there''s a Sir (Larry) Oliveira (just charged my Kindle up for the day.)

I don''t think necessarily we will sign another striker. With Watkins coming in we have Jerome or Olivieria as first choices, with Watkins able to provided the 3rd choice. With Pritchard/Murphy/Watkins/Naismith and Wildschut (and when fit Jarvis) accommodating the attacking positions.

Bearing in mind it looks like we''ll have Pinto and Husband as wing backs, we''ll probably end up with a defensive middle containing Tettey/Vrancic and two of Wes/Pritchard/Naismith/Murphy.

I certainly don''t think that means we HAVE to replace the other Murphy at all - but that''s why it''ll be good business if he does go. We can invest it rather than HAVING to buy as requirement. Let''s hope we spend it wisely.

I imagine Norwich are hopeful that someone will come in with a good offer for Jerome so Norwich can push out a little bit when bringing in another striker.

I''m not sure Nelson suits Farke''s style to well. A striker who tends to shoot from 30 yards whenever he gets a sighter doesn''t really fit into a team who want to maintain possession and dominate games. It will be interesting to see if Norwich can curb that side of Nelson''s game a little.

"If Norwich are cost cutting you don''t want to have 3 high level strikers at the club as one of them will get next to no game time (and strikers famously command the biggest wages/transfer fees)."

True, but strikers above others can make most impact from the bench.

If one of our two main men is injured then we would surely still want the option of another high class hitman coming on.

Somebody like Jordan Rhodes (but not him) capable of rescuing a point or two with that striker''s instinct.

Well we only have played one up front so the two we have will do most of the time, and there are goals in our remaining midfield. They could take a punt on a young lower division striker provided the outlay is not too much. I still think we will have another 2 or 3 coming in and a back up striker may be one

I''m not sure I entirely agree Bethnal, Nelson is probably a better finisher than Jerome. He may adapt very well to the new system as his link-up play was generally good last season anyway. Yes he did score a few from range and have a few wild ones, but he can certainly knows where the goal is. I''ve no doubt he''ll be successful under Farke, and I''m sure Jerome will do well too. Both are capable of 15-20 goals this season, Jerome certainly is.

To have a ''Jordan Rhodes'' sitting on the bench is very, very expensive. Norwich need to be more ''creative'' with their budget so having a player like Watkins, who can play more than one position, means greater versatility and more efficient use of resources.

If Nelson and Jerome manage to go without injury then this well paid striker isn''t even getting on the bench. He''s costing Norwich money and getting annoyed that he isn''t playing

"If Nelson and Jerome manage to go without injury."

Some hopes there and there is also loss of form, of confidence and possible suspensions to take into account.

It is generally accepted that this coming season might well be our best chance of getting up there again for some time.

Therefore and taking recent events into account (ie. good money in, wages down) I for one would not be against a bit of splashing out on another decent striker.

That''s what most ambitious clubs do, re-enforce their striking options to the limit, after all.

There are other areas that need strengthening far more urgently than 3rd choice striker (especially when there is already Watkins at the club, so it might even be 4th choice striker).

Paddy Davitt has today been saying that £5m of the Murphy money will pay of the overdraft - there really isn''t much money to go around.

I believe three at the back gives us a chance to play two up front or certainly one plus an advanced midfielder. So another striker, different from the others would be nice.

The question of substitutes is interesting as it''s not just the use of them during the game but also the choice of their selection in the first place that often defines a good manager.

Of all the reasons for employing substitute I personally would adopt the Lambertish approach of "rescue" rather than "save" a game.

For this reason the placement of two strikers on the bench is not a luxury in my book, especially when starting the game with just one on the field.

I suppose though that this is a side issue to the fact that a.n. other striker is needed whether this be the cheaper option of an up-and- coming or a more expensive proven goal-getter.

I suspect this is where we will look at the loan system once the premier league teams have finished their squads.

There are bound to be a number of fringe players left out of the premier league squads due to sizes of squads and who knows, those conversations might already be taking place.

I can''t imagine we''re only going to end up with 2 loanees for the season

After Becchio and Lafferty I hope we''re a bit more careful with a third striker. We have a few who can play there including Watkins, Naismith and Josh. So any spend has got to be on someone better than them.

I think the obvious would be to go for a younger striker - not the likes of Becchio and Lafferty who at the stage of their career would be wanting regular first team football.

Towards the end of last season Webber had made comments, specifically when Jerome was playing, about strikers not being clinical enough.

So I can see another striker coming in, but they''ll need to be able to play as a second striker in in a 433/343

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]I know he''s only 20 but haven''t we got that Belgian lad on trial ?[/quote]Yes we have, and he''s with the squad in Germany right now.

Does it matter? If he''s good he''ll be playing regularly for the U23 Dev Squad rather than sat on the bench as 3rd choice each week.

Money much better invested elsewhere.

If nelson is not a farke type then Rhodes really isnt.

I suspect we will see a rated prem loanee as the third striker - if both or either of jerome and nelson leave they will be replaced.

If both stay then I think they are goal scorers at this level and should be good enough for us

I think it all depends on how Farke wants to play and do the current crop of players fit that system, its early days still and plenty can still be done in the market.

CJ and Nelson don''t seem to offer that much of a change if one is substituted for the other, and i dont know enough about Watkins, Josh maybe the impact that we need late on to run at a team when they are tiring could he be our Henry, a winger who moves to centre forward much like what Southampton are trying to do with Redmond.

Even young and promising from the lower leagues don''t seem to come cheaply anymore:

Ollie Watkins (20) Exeter City (L.2.) to Brentford for £1.8m. good goal scoring record of little less than 1 in 2.

Having said that, have we actually missed a trick here? Somebody at Brentford clearly rates the player.

It''s one option of the sort of market we might do well to delve into but at nearly £2m it isn''t risk-free by a long chalk.

Jordan Hugill of PNE is another but they have just rejected a £2.5m bid from Birmingham for the player.

I reckon we''ll be bringing in plenty of players during the Webber/Farke era that are a bit ''who the farke'', a bit leftfield, a bit '' never heard of him'', this, i think, is a good thing. They will come cheaper, less up their own backsides and possibly more technically astute than the latest big thing that the clubs around us are trying to outbid each other for.I know it sounds a bit glib and possibly national stereotyping but SW/DF are gonna build us a machine, it may or may not ultimately be successful, but as i stated in other posts, we cant compete in the ''''throw money at it'''' race. We have to take a different route.