Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Boro

Jim Smith wrote the following post at 18/07/2017 7:24 PM:

Fancy a club relegated from the premier league using their financial advantage to do all they can to get back up again at the first attempt.

It''s what ambitious clubs do.

Its also what we tried to do. Remember, we were favourites to go straight back up.

It failed. Fancy that!

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]This is essentially what we have done by announcing in the press that we need to sell before we can buy, and I can not see any benefit to that approach. Other than being able to sell your assets quickly at a reduced fee.[/quote]How about because any other answer would be complete boll**ks and easily shown as inaccurate.Everyone and their grandmother knows that we are not a club with massive finances, we aren''t backed by a multi-billionaire owner who sees transfer fees like they are just paying for a bag of pick ''n'' mix, and the actual reality is that the majority of sides in this division (and pretty much everyone below us) are in the exact same boat, and just because some of them might not come out and openly say it, it doesn''t mean it''s not true, and doesn''t mean that everyone else doesn''t know it either.What''s more, is that the clubs accounts will clearly show the majority of our finances (or lack of them as the case may be), so it''s an utterly moot point whether or not the club transparently admit the facts in genuine and fair communication with their fanbase - but it is nice for us fans to get some actual honest communication, even if it''s not always what we want to hear...[/quote]Being honest is fine, I''ve got no problem with it and I applaud the club when they try to keep fans in the loop. There is such a thing as too much honesty though. I suggest that it would have been better for Webber to have said more along the lines of we are looking to move players on and bring players in as we do every summer, but it will only be if the deal is right for us. By openly admitting that you need to sell so you can buy weakens you bargaining position. I don''t understand why people are finding this so hard to grasp.As for the clubs accounts, they are published annually and although they explainf how much income and expenditure the club had in the previous year, they do not give the exact detail of current working capital available at this precise moment. So the only way that other football clubs could be 100% certain how much Norwich City had available in their bank account would be to look at the most recent bank statement. I expect that if I were to ask you to let me have a look at the current state of your finances you would give me a very short two word answer and I imagine that it would be the same with City if Newcastle United were to do similar. So the point is not moot.

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"][quote user="A Load of Squit"]Sell before you buy isn''t a sign of desperation.Sell without buying is a sign of desperation.

[/quote]OK, as quite a few are struggling to get their heads round what to me appears to be a very simple concept, I''ll try to explain it by using a basic analogy.Say you have a house to sell. It''s been valued at £250,000. You put it on the market with an asking price of £250,000 but with a notice that you are looking for a quick sale to raise capital (quite why you would add the second part is beyond me). What do you think is the likelihood of any prospective buyer being willing to pay your full asking price as they know you want a quick sale and will possibly accept a bid 20% less than what you want (especially if they are the only bidder interested in buying your property)?This is essentially what we have done by announcing in the press that we need to sell before we can buy, and I can not see any benefit to that approach. Other than being able to sell your assets quickly at a reduced fee.

[/quote]If I was selling a house valued at £250K I wouldn''t put it on the market for £250K but it would be obvious to the buyer that I had to sell before I could buy another house.Your analogy doesn''t really equate to a football club as I''m sure the buyer of my house wouldn''t know what my particular financial situation was but in football most of this stuff is in the public domain.

IBT wrote: "By openly admitting that you need to sell so you can buy weakens you bargaining position. I don''t understand why people are finding this so hard to grasp."
Maybe the reason why people find it hard to grasp is because it patently isn''t true. Just because I need to sell my current house before I can afford to buy a new one doesn''t mean I open myself to being ripped off by a potential buyer.

[quote user="lharman7"]Jim Smith wrote the following post at 18/07/2017 7:24 PM:

Fancy a club relegated from the premier league using their financial advantage to do all they can to get back up again at the first attempt.

Its also what we tried to do. Remember, we were favourites to go straight back up.

It failed. Fancy that![/quote]

So why didn''t we buy the CB everyone was screaming for and who would have seen us into the playoffs?

Dean Coney''s boots wrote the following post at 18/07/2017 10:51 PM:

lharman7 wrote:
Jim Smith wrote the following post at 18/07/2017 7:24 PM:

It failed. Fancy that!

So why didn''t we buy the CB everyone was screaming for and who would have seen us into the playoffs?

Still showing your frustrations of last seasons failures DCB? Tsk tsk.

I can''t tell you that just as you can''t tell me by buying a center back last season we would have made the playoffs!