Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Boro

Signed Assombalonga in a club record deal. For me that makes them favourites to go up, we just can''t compete.

I mentioned this signing in the '' How do we reinvest'' thread earlier. £14 million is bonkers.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]Signed Assombalonga in a club record deal. For me that makes them favourites to go up, we just can''t compete.[/quote]Remember this time last year people were saying the same thing about Villa.

Assombalong has managed to play in just 23% of games over the last two seasons due to injury. This makes him more injury prone that Jack Wilshere (31%) or Daniel Sturridge (26%).

I''d rather have Webber looking for players than signing injury prone strikers for well above their value.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Assombalong has managed to play in just 23% of games over the last two seasons due to injury. This makes him more injury prone that Jack Wilshere (31%) or Daniel Sturridge (26%).

I''d rather have Webber looking for players than signing injury prone strikers for well above their value.[/quote]

Very much this.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I mentioned this signing in the '' How do we reinvest'' thread earlier. £14 million is bonkers.[/quote]£14m! Surely some mistake, we all know players who''ve never played in the Prem never go for more than £12.5m

This is just going to get madder and madder. i give it 2 more seasons until we see the first 30 million pound plus Championship player.

i don''t want a short term-ist investor to pump money in for 3 years then get bored. I hope this all goes t1t5 up somehow, even if a few clubs who have sold their soul have to go out of business. I''d love nothing more than to see the bubble burst but to be honest I think it''s more likely that 1p5wich will go up as Champions this year than that happening in the next 10/15 years.

No one person should be able to own more than 49% of a football club, Germany has got it so right, unfortunately we put the interests of a handful of bored billionaires above everyone else so this is just going to get more and more out of control.

14 million for Britt Assombalonga...Insane, totally and utterly insane.

If Boro are prepared to shell out £14m on a player with a poor injury record that has never played at a level higher than the Championship, we really should have got more than £5m for a proven Premier League player out of them.I agree with the powers that be that there was a need to freshen up the squad this season. But, with the sale of Dorrans, Howson and now Jacob appearing to be under their market value, I''m beginning to wonder at the wisdom of announcing to the world that we desperately needed to off load the players.

If Boro are prepared to shell out £14m on a player with a poor injury record that has never played at a level higher than the Championship, we really should have got more than £5m for a proven Premier League player out of them.I agree with the powers that be that there was a need to freshen up the squad this season. But, with the sale of Dorrans, Howson and now Jacob appearing to be under their market value, I''m beginning to wonder at the wisdom of announcing to the world that we desperately needed to off load the players.

remind me when we did thator perhaps Newcastle are at fault for announcing their desperation to sign Jacob, or that they had £100m TV money coming inas to players it is how well the works as a team, not their supposed cost

[quote user="Barnacle Bill"]If Boro are prepared to shell out £14m on a player with a poor injury record that has never played at a level higher than the Championship, we really should have got more than £5m for a proven Premier League player out of them.I agree with the powers that be that there was a need to freshen up the squad this season. But, with the sale of Dorrans, Howson and now Jacob appearing to be under their market value, I''m beginning to wonder at the wisdom of announcing to the world that we desperately needed to off load the players.

remind me when we did thator perhaps Newcastle are at fault for announcing their desperation to sign Jacob, or that they had £100m TV money coming inas to players it is how well the works as a team, not their supposed cost[/quote]A direct quote from Stuart Webber on May 27th - “Steve (Stone) has spoken about the financial situation and we need to sell to bring in players,”in this article - http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich-city-aim-to-make-an-early-spash-in-the-transfer-market-1-5036407

that is NOT "we desperately needed to off load"just an acknowledgement that with parachute payments ending next season extra funds will need to be generated though sales

[quote user="Barnacle Bill"]that is NOT "we desperately needed to off load"just an acknowledgement that with parachute payments ending next season extra funds will need to be generated though sales[/quote]If you think that being unable to renew the contracts of senior pros, looking to off load high wage earners, the knowledge that our Premier League slush fund is coming to an end, all combined with coming out in the press and confirming that players need to leave for us to sign new ones doesn''t send out signals that there is a desperation to have money coming in then you are exceptionally naive City 1st. Announcing in the press that you have to sell to balance your books immediately weakens any bargaining position you have. The agents and clubs have smelt blood and have circled accordingly and we have probably sold players 20-40% cheaper than what the purchasing teams should have paid for them in today''s overinflated transfer market.

Haha my thoughts exactly Ron!

Look how little Huddersfield went about their business and how the likes of Fulham and us thought we could just buy the league!

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]If you think that being unable to renew the contracts of senior pros, looking to off load high wage earners, the knowledge that our Premier League slush fund is coming to an end, all combined with coming out in the press and confirming that players need to leave for us to sign new ones doesn''t send out signals that there is a desperation to have money coming in then you are exceptionally naive City 1st.[/quote]And which senior pro''s have we failed to renew contracts for that many fans actually wanted to stay?Out of the 7 released, only Ruddy was a question for some, and most quite rightly pointed out that he''d not been great for the past 2 seasons (in fact, since his main injury he''s never looked the same player), so why pay through the nose for someone who hasn''t done the business yet you''re paying PL level wages for???Howson didn''t want to sign a new deal and wanted to move closer to home in the North, Dorrans was a squad player also on PL level wages that he didn''t justify often enough, and that just leaves Jacob who had already signed a new 4 year deal relatively recently.I''d also point out that Watkins had a similar record to Jacob last season, but in a worse team yet offered better pass accuracy and more defensive assistance, and he''s come in on a free rather than us having to pay 12mil+ like Newcastle have for Jacob!

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]If you think that being unable to renew the contracts of senior pros, looking to off load high wage earners, the knowledge that our Premier League slush fund is coming to an end, all combined with coming out in the press and confirming that players need to leave for us to sign new ones doesn''t send out signals that there is a desperation to have money coming in then you are exceptionally naive City 1st.[/quote]And which senior pro''s have we failed to renew contracts for that many fans actually wanted to stay?Out of the 7 released, only Ruddy was a question for some, and most quite rightly pointed out that he''d not been great for the past 2 seasons (in fact, since his main injury he''s never looked the same player), so why pay through the nose for someone who hasn''t done the business yet you''re paying PL level wages for???Howson didn''t want to sign a new deal and wanted to move closer to home in the North, Dorrans was a squad player also on PL level wages that he didn''t justify often enough, and that just leaves Jacob who had already signed a new 4 year deal relatively recently.I''d also point out that Watkins had a similar record to Jacob last season, but in a worse team yet offered better pass accuracy and more defensive assistance, and he''s come in on a free rather than us having to pay 12mil+ like Newcastle have for Jacob![/quote]I never said that we wanted to keep any of the senior pros that were released, just that it was no secret, because of the noises coming out of the hierarchy at Carrow Road, that if we had wanted to we wouldn''t have been able to afford their wages. Several times over the summer it has been made abundantly clear in the press that we needed to off load high wage earners because of the (slightly/seriously?) precarious financial position the club is in due to not achieving promotion last season. I can see no benefit from announcing this to all and sundry as it devalues our assets and makes our bargaining position weaker, as proved by the selling of Jacob, Dorrans and Howson for transfer fees that appear to be well short of what we should have received for them.

£14m for a player with one knee bonkers. If they keep him fit then they are easily favorites in my book to go up. At best we will be in the play off mix leave the automatics to others to worry about

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]Sell before you buy isn''t a sign of desperation.Sell without buying is a sign of desperation.

[/quote]OK, as quite a few are struggling to get their heads round what to me appears to be a very simple concept, I''ll try to explain it by using a basic analogy.Say you have a house to sell. It''s been valued at £250,000. You put it on the market with an asking price of £250,000 but with a notice that you are looking for a quick sale to raise capital (quite why you would add the second part is beyond me). What do you think is the likelihood of any prospective buyer being willing to pay your full asking price as they know you want a quick sale and will possibly accept a bid 20% less than what you want (especially if they are the only bidder interested in buying your property)?This is essentially what we have done by announcing in the press that we need to sell before we can buy, and I can not see any benefit to that approach. Other than being able to sell your assets quickly at a reduced fee.

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]This is essentially what we have done by announcing in the press that we need to sell before we can buy, and I can not see any benefit to that approach. Other than being able to sell your assets quickly at a reduced fee.[/quote]How about because any other answer would be complete boll**ks and easily shown as inaccurate.Everyone and their grandmother knows that we are not a club with massive finances, we aren''t backed by a multi-billionaire owner who sees transfer fees like they are just paying for a bag of pick ''n'' mix, and the actual reality is that the majority of sides in this division (and pretty much everyone below us) are in the exact same boat, and just because some of them might not come out and openly say it, it doesn''t mean it''s not true, and doesn''t mean that everyone else doesn''t know it either.What''s more, is that the clubs accounts will clearly show the majority of our finances (or lack of them as the case may be), so it''s an utterly moot point whether or not the club transparently admit the facts in genuine and fair communication with their fanbase - but it is nice for us fans to get some actual honest communication, even if it''s not always what we want to hear...

You''d expect Boro to be a force this season with their squad and in particular strike force - though I expected us to be last season too.

Boro have shown real intent with their purchases.

However, it should be remembered that they were widely praised for doing so last season too. Negredo seemed a bit of a coup and certainly raised my eyebrows but they were terrible. Absolutely dire.

Maybe it''ll work for them this season but I''ll hang fire before thinking they''re some almighty force.

Getting Monk in to replace Karanka might be the best bit of business Boro do all summer. Although Braithwaite is a very good addition as well.

They are certainly my favourites to go back up, will be interesting to see if they can get the goals they need after struggling with that under Karanka.

Fancy a club relegated from the premier league using their financial advantage to do all they can to get back up again at the first attempt.

It''s what ambitious clubs do.