Sign in to follow this  
Canaries north

Boro after the other one.

If 4 million is true then well below market value in my opinion but do you think Boro are trying a cheeky one. Seeing one twin move to the area play the keep your twin company card at a low price. Will he force a move so they can be together. Do they have the same agent. I might be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 7 but this could make life difficult for Webber. Dig your heals in and have a unhappy player. Let him go and have some very unhappy fans.

I think you are right but with the power players have today you can never be sure. 6 million for an unhappy player with an agent looking to make money.

I hope he wants to stay and prove he is better than his brother but we will have to see. This could also be paper talk. We just don''t know and nothing surprises me any more.

I genuinely thought Jacob to Newcastle made sense. Josh to Boro wouldn''t. Selling to a team likely to be around our mix for that little £ would make little financial sense.

What if Josh makes considerable bounds in development, towards the end of last season he was the better player in that wide role. Jacob looked tired.

There seems to be a strategy behind the scenes. Boro are trying to upset a few applecarts potentially. I say that because it could be media tosh... and being Joe Punter we know zip ultimately

If people think £12m for Jake was a good deal then I''m sure there will be some that would say £4m for a player who has yet to establish himself in our first team, has very little Premier League experience and can''t even make the U21''s squad is a great bit of business too.

Most if not all of the departures to date have some logic behind them. This even at twice the price would not. If he has a good season he would be worth as much if not more than his brother. Also there is a tipping point when player and supporter morale goes and if this move happened I think it would be a body blow to the club and no amount of spin would change its negative impact

Well, I don''t expect this to happen. Why would we sell Josh at this point in his career for anything other than an astronomical fee of say £20- £25m which is basically to say he is not for sale. Best left wing option we have, got an eye for goal, if he develops like it looks like he will he could be a cracking player that could drive the club forward. We must keep hold of these sorts of players for as long as we can! Anyway he could be worth significantly more with a second championship season under his belt. If we don''t get promoted and he wants to leave, we could always sell him then. My answer - he''s one of our own, so you can jog on by thank you very much. If only we had another version of him for the right hand side, wouldn''t that be good.

(And yes, that paragraph should have also applied to Jacob in my opinion, the extra rebuild money should have been more creatively raised from elsewhere. But hey-ho. This time I will be astonished if this is not the line the club takes.)

As already stated, Jacob for £12m to a prem team makes sense. Josh, his natural replacement, to a direct rival for 1/3 that doesn''t.

I personally think Josh is the better player of the 2 as he seems more technically gifted and a more clinical finisher. Jacob seemed to get the nod last year purely cos of his superior work rate.

Again as already stated, Josh could tear up this division and find himself in the prem next season anyway and a much better player for being a regular for us this year.

I think Jacob has gone a season too early and it could impact negatively on his career. £12m to Newcastle is a big jump and a hell of a lot of pressure for a guy with 1 decent (not amazing) season in the champs and a couple of lower league loans to his name.

Now it turns out Jacob forced the move. Is a repeat on the cards. The Josh bid is still just paper talk but for another manager to admit Jacob forced the move I''m starting to worry.

Like it or not, this is the reality of modern football, players get ''tapped up'' all the time, usually through agents just out to make money for themselves however they can, and even the biggest clubs in the world aren''t immune to it either.Until such point as action is taken to make contracts mean something, and we give clubs a fair means to deal with players (and clubs) who are clearly unwilling to fulfil their contractual obligations, we won''t see any change and will have to deal with the fallout whenever these type of situations occur.Chances are that there isn''t a player in our squad who wouldn''t jump at the chance of PL football and wages, and in most cases, long gone are the days of "one club players", where loyalty and integrity meant more than who''s offering the most cash, but should we blame the players, or the agents and clubs who encourage their actions to force a move...?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]should we blame the players, or the agents and clubs who encourage their actions to force a move...?[/quote]

No problem clubs doing their best to get players, but there is a problem with doing it in public.  Clubs acting the big time acually show themeselves up as being the opposite. Newcastle are one of them.

I''m personally of the opinion that ALL transfer activity should be kept confidential until such point as the selling club agrees a price with the buyer and thus allows them to discuss personal terms with the player, to the point where even the player is not advised an offer has been made until the club''s valuation is met.The problem is that this would be difficult to police and unless there was direct evidence clearly implicating someone for revealing information, you couldn''t even pursue a legal approach either.Make no mistake, 90% of the ''leaked'' transfer news has been directly ''leaked'' by either the player, player''s agent, or the club who want to buy them (rarely by the selling club unless they''re desperate to offload a wage etc), for the deliberate intent of forcing a deal where possible.It''s shoddy, non-transparent business practices that in this day and age should have gone extinct with the dinosaurs, but because corruption and lack of morality are rife, there''s not enough momentum behind those opposed to truly do anything about it...

It''s crazy that after seasons of lower league loans and looking like all they wanted to do was play for us, after literally their break through season they''re both happy to be off. Even Hucks had more integrity and he didn''t come through the academy or anything like that. I''m severely disappointed in the way football has gone in the last 5-6 seasons.

Too much financial incentive for agents to get moves for their players. They''d be daft not to try and encourage a player to move, even if it''s just to another team in the division. It might not help the players career but it''ll be a big pay off for them.
The only real option is to severely cap agent payments, make them salaried regardless, or something along those lines.

Jacob never got enough credit from the fans at CR and was often visibly frustrated at the way fans reacted to a mistake. A relatively young lad thrust into a pretty much full season of playing every week (or more). The fans treated an upcoming, mostly homegrown talent quite poorly.

I''m sure the PL wages, bigger stadium, opposition etc were by far the main factor but he was rarely made to feel as special as we should have made him feel during last season.

Fiery Zac wrote the following post at 19/07/2017 8:55 AM:

Jacob never got enough credit from the fans at CR and was often visibly frustrated at the way fans reacted to a mistake. A relatively young lad thrust into a pretty much full season of playing every week (or more). The fans treated an upcoming, mostly homegrown talent quite poorly.

Ah so it''s the fans fault, I hear the cry.

But actually you have a point. A minority though wasn''t it.

Re: Josh.

Gardening leave if necessary ..... and I mean that emphatically.

We cannot possibly sell another leading player to a RIVAL and also a STAND has to be taken otherwise contracts will mean nothing.

As for the Benitez remark about Jacob, it suggests that the whole business has become unpalatable. We have previously had Howson''s training antics and now this information comes to the fore.

With regards Josh if a more than decent bid came in from a Premier League club then that would be a different matter which, regrettably would need considering ..... but I would hope that the club would pull out all the stops to retain the player.

As for the Benitez remark, it suggests that the whole business has become unpalatable. We have previously had Howson''s reported training antics and now this latest information comes to the fore.

In this case though I feel we will have the last laugh. Newcastle will struggle in the top flight yet again and Benitez will likely not be there this time next year. Neither do I think it''s a given that young Jacob will have an easy time of it up there.

50/50 it ends in tears.

[quote user="hogesar"]Too much financial incentive for agents to get moves for their players. They''d be daft not to try and encourage a player to move, even if it''s just to another team in the division. It might not help the players career but it''ll be a big pay off for them.
The only real option is to severely cap agent payments, make them salaried regardless, or something along those lines.
[/quote]

Apparently (according to the link below) the Murphys changed their agent last year with the view to get them better contracts or they would want to move last year. The four year contracts resulted from that - so that was down to the brothers, not just the agent.  So maybe them moving has been on their minds for quite a while. and it''s quite possible that now Jacob has got his move, that Josh will want to follow suit - I just hope he wants to stay this season at least.http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/norwichs-everton-transfer-target-murphy-8924021

Maddison i am sure will be next these players believe the hype around them

Maddison was labeled wonderkid etc we beat PL clubs to sign him etc and then loan him out at first chance will he show any loyalty if someone offers him 1st team football i doubt it

he tasted the limelight at his loan and coventry now his career has stalled unless he gains a first team place here

when a player is loaned and playing week in and out to come back and not play is hard

"Poor Josh, once he was part of ''The Twins'', now he''s been relegated to just ''the other one."

He''ll just have to take a leaf from the book of those icons of the popular music world ... Patience and Prudence.

Ah ha. Ah ha. "Gonna Get Along Without You Now."

(Great song ... if I were to be cast aside on a desert island etc.)

Seems to be a lot of scare mongering to me. Josh has a lot to prove, and this years is his season.

As for Jacob, I''m not sure this is a great move for him. Newcastle has often been a graveyard for talented players. I also question his ability, he had the potential to be a game changer sure, but also gives the ball away cheaply when things don''t come off. Which is very often. He''s style of play is hard to integrate into balanced team.

One things for sure, the club need to get tough now. No more selling for this season. And Id that means an unhappy player then so be it. Stick him in front of 25k fans and let him face the stick of he doesn''t put a shift in.

So far Webber isn''t filling me with confindence in being able to hold a tough stance, aka McNally. I hope this changes.