Sign in to follow this  
unique

Murphy ready to quit Carrow Road...

in order to get his move to Newcastle.......

I don''t see why a manager of Benitez'' standing would come out and say this unless it was true.

In which case the whole saga stinks and Norwich were negotiating from a weakened position.

Expect more of the same with Josh......

Strange for another manager to admit the player forced the move. If so his brother will be looking to do the same. If Boro go to 6 mill and he pushes hard what are the club going to do. I''m sure we can afford to put him on gardening leave but it''s not a great situation.

It looks as if Newcastle want them both.

It''s a sad affair.

If he''s going then better to Newcastle than Boro☹️

Instead of complaining about Benitez and Newcastle people need to get off their high horses and stop weltering in sentimentality. The most salient question is what all this tells us about the Murphys, their family and their agent. They have clearly decided -- almost certainly rightly, since there is a big difference between potential (still) and actual achievement-- that now is the time to start cashing in on the hard work and talent. Do they think they owe Norwich City years of first team service in return for having helped get them where they are? Clearly not. Do they view the arrival of Farke as an opportunity to broaden their experience, playing first team football under a coach with an approach quite different from what they are used to? Clearly not. That''s OK, they have their minds fixed firmly on their own interests and good luck to them; they want the best, as they see it, for themselves. Which is exactly the attitude the club and supporters should be taking as well, and the one I''m confident Webber will be taking. The calculation of interest seems to have been made as far as Jacob is concerned; his departure will be an additional factor in weighing up the club''s best interest in regard to Josh. Webber and Farke will have made a judgement about the value of both to Norwich City and their fate will be decided accordingly. Sentimentality has no place in the calculation.

one big move sets you up for life these days with the money available

yes you get Gary Neville and Shearer type who play for years or you get a Dean Ashton Career ruined by injury

some of these players are like businesses they want to make as much as they can as fast as they can

Agents will be want this more due to the fact they will make more money from Murphy at Newcastle than they will at Norwich

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]Instead of complaining about Benitez and Newcastle people need to get off their high horses and stop weltering in sentimentality. [/quote]

My complaints about Benitez and Newcastle have nothing to do with sentimentality.  The way that club behaves is disrespectful to others, has been for years.

The Siphonaptera reversed.

"Little fleas have bigger fleas upon their backs to bite them.

These fleas have bigger fleas and so ad infinitum."

That''s football. We poached Madisson from Coventry and Newcastle poached Jacob Murphy from us.

I have said before that the Murphy sale was inevitable, slightly premature for both NCFC and the player, imo, but inevitable.

The only debatable point was really the bottom line.

If we had been a Premier League club and a top-sixer had come in for Jacob then we would have lost him in much the same way.

That transfer reflected Norwich City''s current level and also Newcastle''s.

I would however object to Josh going to ''Boro. at this moment in time. There might well be an abundance of fleas in that part of the North East, but they are small fleas.

I''m really confused as to how people have taken up this article to show that Josh might go to Newcastle.

Benitez literally says ''we are happy with one of them.''

It sounds like Newcastle scouted both of them over time and decided to move for Jacob.

[quote user="king canary"]I''m really confused as to how people have taken up this article to show that Josh might go to Newcastle.

Benitez literally says ''we are happy with one of them.''

It sounds like Newcastle scouted both of them over time and decided to move for Jacob.[/quote]Exactly this. I have to believe that no deal for Josh will be sanctioned, not this season. At least, that''s what I hope!

If you are going to quote Benitez, then don''t just edit it to serve your purpose.

" We are happy with one of them, at the moment...."

That short statement is tantamount to telling Josh that once the dust has settled, he will more than likely get his opportunity to follow his brother.

What a shambles this pre season is turning out to be

We are selling off our prize assets cheap 6 mill for howson really!!! And replacing with really poor replacements with the balance being trousered

It''s such a shame

Nobody is ''weltering in sentimentality ''.

Benitez has stated that Murphy was prepared to walk out of Carrow Road to ensure a move to Newcastle.

So Murphy was prepared to renege on his 4-year contract and show no desire to help return NCFC to the PL.

Murphy has jumped ship at his first reasonable opportunity, if football is now a business, then he is history, and Norwich fans owe him no sentiment.

In fact, as far as the Norwich City first-team is concerned, his contribution has been next to nothing.

Same to you, don''t just quote to serve your purpose.

“We liked his brother and we spoke about him. I was following both of them, but I think we have signed the right one, the one I wanted. I have received a lot of information about both, and it was positive about both of them. But, in this case, we wanted the type of player (Jacob is) and were happy with that."

yes Josh, come to newcastle, we used to want you, and then your brother clearly became better and we''re happy we got him instead of you. actually, on second thought - you can come along as an after thought.

this thread is a huge overreaction.

also they''re twins, not clones. Just because Jacob may of forced a move, doesn''t mean Josh will too.

[quote user="Captain Birdseye"]What a shambles this pre season is turning out to be

We are selling off our prize assets cheap 6 mill for howson really!!! And replacing with really poor replacements with the balance being trousered

It''s such a shame[/quote]Must. Resist. The. Bait

unique

"Murphy has jumped ship at his first reasonable opportunity, if football is now a business, then he is history, and Norwich fans owe him no sentiment.

In fact, as far as the Norwich City first-team is concerned, his contribution has been next to nothing."

Agree with the last point unique, which is why £12.5m is such a good current price for him.

The sentimentality bit was a reference to other threads. I think sentiment is clouding people''s judgement about how big a loss (in footballing terms) selling Jacob, and Josh too if he goes, would be. There are stronger footballing arguments for keeping Josh but it may be that an equally good (or even better in terms of present needs) replacement has already been identified. The idea that Josh is better than anyone we could replace him with is nonsense. "But he wouldn''t be one of our own"; quite, but so what?

As said before no one but Josh really knows but with the same agent? I went too school with 2 pairs of twins. 1 pair did everything together and could not be separated. The other pair were total opposites apart from looks. The common factor being an agent is what scares me.

[quote user="Canaries north"]As said before no one but Josh really knows but with the same agent? I went too school with 2 pairs of twins. 1 pair did everything together and could not be separated. The other pair were total opposites apart from looks. The common factor being an agent is what scares me.[/quote]So the idea of losing Josh too scares you? Why exactly?

Scare is the wrong word. We have a young player with potential not the finished article by a long way but potential. Not on huge wages. He knows he will get game time with us but still could leave. He is a player I would like to stay but player power is what it is. 4 million is not enough.

[quote user="Canaries north"]Scare is the wrong word. We have a young player with potential not the finished article by a long way but potential. Not on huge wages. He knows he will get game time with us but still could leave. He is a player I would like to stay but player power is what it is. 4 million is not enough.[/quote]Well OK but I''m interested in why you''d like him to stay. Has he some special value for us right now as a first team squad member, bearing in mind that, like every player, there is a cost/benefit calculation to be made every time he takes the field? It''s surely not inconceivable that an alternative could be brought in  for whom the ratio of cost to benefit would be smaller? There''s also the further question mark over exactly what Farke is aiming for, and how well-suited particular players are in those terms. As for "potential", the Murphy family and agent are clearly intent on extracting value from where they are now, not where they may or may not be next year or the year after. That being the situation, the club has to make a judgement accordingly.

There seems to be some division of opinion as to which of the Murphys is the "best," if any.

I always thought that Josh was the leading light on past cup performances mainly.

Jacob seems to have sprang to the fore.

Either way, and taking into account that they may be identical in looks but they are different in playing styles, one of the sweeteners of the Newcastle deal was that we still retained one of the pair for next season at least.

Some maintained we kept the best option, although apparently Benitez in all his wisdom thought the opposite.

It would surely be bad to lose Josh just yet both psychologically speaking** and on the field of play.

To lose one rising starlet is unfortunate. To lose two is careless.

**ie. It will also lower expectations all-round for the coming season. The little bubbles we were blowing up will have been burst one by one.

@Broadstairs"It would surely be bad to lose Josh just yet both psychologically speaking and on the field of play ............ it will also lower expectations all-round for the coming

season. The little bubbles we were blowing up will have been burst one

by one."Every time I try to coax a cogent explanation out of someone for the widespread shock/horror reaction to the idea of being without the Murphys, all I get is evasion. Why should expectations for the coming season be all-round lower if they are sold? That assumes that one or other or both is somehow essential to our on-field success. What reason is there to think that? Are people saying that Webber and Farke are planning a campaign based on a team built round one of the twins? Or is it just that a warm feeling is generated by seeing "two of our own" graduating to a place in the first team squad, a squad which, after all, benefits from the presence of roughly 12 times that number of "imports"?

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]Instead of complaining about Benitez and Newcastle people need to get off their high horses and stop weltering in sentimentality. The most salient question is what all this tells us about the Murphys, their family and their agent. They have clearly decided -- almost certainly rightly, since there is a big difference between potential (still) and actual achievement-- that now is the time to start cashing in on the hard work and talent. Do they think they owe Norwich City years of first team service in return for having helped get them where they are? Clearly not. Do they view the arrival of Farke as an opportunity to broaden their experience, playing first team football under a coach with an approach quite different from what they are used to? Clearly not. That''s OK, they have their minds fixed firmly on their own interests and good luck to them; they want the best, as they see it, for themselves. Which is exactly the attitude the club and supporters should be taking as well, and the one I''m confident Webber will be taking. The calculation of interest seems to have been made as far as Jacob is concerned; his departure will be an additional factor in weighing up the club''s best interest in regard to Josh. Webber and Farke will have made a judgement about the value of both to Norwich City and their fate will be decided accordingly. Sentimentality has no place in the calculation.[/quote]Man I''m glad that you''re not one of my employees. Prepared to jump ship at the first slightly better job offer that comes your way.

Hope he breaks his leg in three places in his first match no more than the ungrateful little shit deserves .

[quote user="unique"]in order to get his move to Newcastle.......

I don''t see why a manager of Benitez'' standing would come out and say this unless it was true.

In which case the whole saga stinks and Norwich were negotiating from a weakened position.

Expect more of the same with Josh......[/quote]

Norwich City made no attempt to play hardball with this transfer.

They caved in to the player and to Newcastle.

It suited Norwich to cave in because it enables them to clear the overdraft and continue the self-funding model that keeps Delia & Wynnie at the helm.

A player of Murphy''s potential should have gone for no less than £15 million. He was on a long term contract and the pressure to sell was relieved by the sale of Howson.

It is my view that Webber is simply a front man who carries out the instructions of Delia & Wynnie.

Norwich City have now opened up a Pandora''s Box. Every player who wants a move will now throw their prams around with their toys and the club will give in. A precedent has been set.

What they should have TOLD Newcastle was that unless £15 million was coughed up then the second word was off.

As for the boy Murphy, he should have been left in no doubt as to his contractual commitments and if he didn''t like it he could go and train on his own and watch from there as his career panned away.

We cannot have situations where players are making clubs look so weak and spineless.

Sorry I must have missed something, I can''t seem to find a quote from anyone indicating that Murphy was ready to quit us?