Sign in to follow this  
AJ

Squad Review

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Pay good money for a CM and winger

Cheap CB

loan ST and RB

Thats what i''d do.

I hope Reed will surprise a few people, but I think we also need someone who we know can deliver as more of a defensive mid.[/quote]
I think you''ll probably find that Reed is the exact type of defensive mid that Farke wants in his side. Not a hard-tackling lump but a tactically astute hard worker who can carry the ball and pass well too. I''m not sure we''ll get in someone to compete for a place with him but Webber did say Howson will be replaced.
Also, welcome back!

it''s a difficult one with the rb situation. we all know pinto is first choice and probs one of our best players so buying a new right back is gonna have to be a short loan or someone happy enough to settle as back up when pinto is back. Perhaps if we are doing the wing backs thing, wildschut will cover there with Russell Martin at right cb to cover the gaps. It''s a bit of a shame toffolo isn''t a right back as it would be the ideal opportunity for him to have a go.

I remember Godfrey got torn a new one when we tried him there at Leeds in the cup. Hope he''s given more of a go in the centre of mid where he''s more natural.

Thanks for the welcome, I shan''t stay long but popped in as I''m really excited for the new season to start. Hope everyone is well.

In response to Hog, I agree that Reed is exactly the sort of player we need. We don''t need a ''hard-tackling lump'' as you say; not only because we have Tettey (who I don''t think will play half as much this year) bur also because we are playing possession based football so need someone who can hold onto the ball as well as pass it about.

My point is more about the quality of player. I think Reed will be good this season but I believe we need someone who is the player he''s likely to be in 5 years, not the player he is now. This is not to say I don''t think he should be here - I think he''s the perfect player to have in the squad, however we need someone who has more experience and we know has the ability to play at a high level - Yes this person could cost £5-10m, but we have the money to do this, especially if we are lucky enough to get rid of Jarvis and Wildschut.

So far I''m excited by the business that we''ve done, imo the main thing we need is someone with the ability of Howson, but who just plays deeper.

What I like about this transfer window is there seems to be logic to every in & out, whether you agree with each decision or not. This fresh or "new broom" approach appears well-planned & methodical even with the financial constraints. This is an improvement on the last few years, in theory.

A lot of things need to go right for everything to click into place on the pitch. But don''t forget, despite the amount of goals conceded and the deplorable away record last season, we still came in 8th and not so far off the playoffs. 2 or 3 marginal results and things could have been different. Expectations are lower this summer - top six is the realistic target. I believe Webber & Farke are assembling a well-balanced and competitive squad with relatively little money. It''s an intrigueing prospect.

Based on the team Farke put out tonight Gunn, Godfrey, Franke , Zimmerman, Lewis, Reed, Vrancic, Maddison, Murphy, Wildschut, Oliveria  Aside from Husband for Lewis, and with Pinto, Klose, Pritchard and Hoolahan injured, I''d say that''s pretty close to the starting lineup.We had McGovern, Matthews, Jerome, Watkins, Martin, Tettey and Naismith as subs.Jarvis to be melted down for glue. I can see Toffolo being sold due to Lewis''s progress.So ultimately we probably need another striker, a Howson-esque midfielder box to box player, and maybe a loan or two to cover rightback/centre back.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]It''s impossible to tell how the overseas signings will do, Klose was a much more highly thought of player in the top German division and he really struggled last year in the championship. These new players are going to have to adapt quickly to a very brutal type of football.

I think to expect all of them to work out is abit much and i would like to see a couple of promising young players brought in from our league system to compliment the new foreign players.[/quote]

It''s impossible to tell how domestic signings will do either - some signings work, some don''t - it''s down to the staff, no matter where the player comes from, to identify the right players and integrate them into the squad and style of play

Totally agree Icecream:

Striker

expansive, yet combative midfielder

RB/CB hybrid

and we are done

I think Toffolo has a bright future though and hope that it will be here

If he has that much of a bright future why have they only given him a 1 year contract and signed Husband?

[quote user="GJP"]If he has that much of a bright future why have they only given him a 1 year contract and signed Husband?[/quote]

I didn''t say "they" think he has a bright future

Toffolo currently feels like the odd one out, second only to Tony ''Time Machine'' Andreu. I wouldn''t be surprised if the defence is now tied up, with Franke, Klose, Martin and Zimmermann as the central group, Pinto / Martin on the right and Husband left with Lewis or Toffolo backing him up.

I''d say Klose is up for sale for the right price, and we would replace if so, and it will come down to which out of Toff or Lewis wants to go on loan most.

Now Pritchard is injured, I would also expect a pretty good winger/ striker hybrid on loan from a top club for half a season to shore things up.