Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Farke Formation

[quote user="Move Klose"]What formation has he been playing. What sort of players have been playing in what roles.[/quote]Gunn and McGovern have been in goalthe rest have just been chasing the ball, marking to opposition etcusual sort of stuff

Seems to have varied quite a bit.

I''ve seen 4-1-4-1 mentioned, 3-4-3 (with two attacking midfielders supporting a single striker) and it sounded yesterday like a 4-1-2-3 type of formation.

It sounds like there will be plenty of mixing it up on this front this year.

I believe his preferred formation is 4-3-3, which reverts to a 4-1-4-1 when we don''t have the ball, with Reed in the defensive midfield position.

Though he played 3-4-3 at Stevenage, and 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 at Cambridge.

Yeah, seems like 4-1-4-1/4-3-3 is going to be the ''default'' tactic, but a 3-4-3 will be deployed from time to time.

This is interesting as these were the two main formations that Dortmund used last season under Tuchel. They liked to use two quick, tricky wingers who cut inside as the 2 players supporting the striker, which is similar to Conte''s Chelsea. This could suit Josh down to the ground (and would have been even better for Jacob).

I think tactical flexibility will be a big thing under Farke this season, doesn''t strike me as a man who will stick to one fixed system.

[quote user="Barnacle Bill"][quote user="Move Klose"]What formation has he been playing. What sort of players have been playing in what roles.[/quote]Gunn and McGovern have been in goalthe rest have just been chasing the ball, marking to opposition etcusual sort of stuff[/quote]

Quit trying to be a comedian, it really just makes you look very stupid.

We''ve got a lot of options in our squad with the players we have, and Farke seems to be intelligent enough to have more than one game plan - and hopefully that adaptability will make us harder to predict which I think was part of our downfall last year. We were good to begin with but teams learnt how to contain us. If we have a bit of flexibility, that''ll make us much harder to play against. With players like Pritchard/Maddison and Wes who can change games, it''ll be nice to be tactically clever as well.

I suspect we will see 3-5-1 with wing-backs and 4-4-1 but also potentially 4-3-3 with two wide attackers. I don''t think we''ll cram the midfield too often with 5 in there if we want to move the ball quickly.

I''m cheered by these views and really do look forward to us playing a more fluid formation with individual players being clear of what''s expected of them and what their job is when in possession and most importantly without the ball.