Sign in to follow this  
 Badger

Jake Clarke-Salter on loan

Recognise him from the u20 world cup final, he gave away a dubiously given penalty which was subsequently saved. Must be highly regarded at Chelsea as he has just signed a new long term contract, but surely if we were to sign him would only be as a backup centre back?

Played 12 games for Bristol Rovers last year - left footed; 6'' 2" and yes, new 4 year contract and U 20 international. That''s all I could find out. Hopefully someone may know more.

[quote user="Jack Flash"]Would probably mean Russ will be used at RB only then, given the number of CHs on the books.[/quote]Needed as an option should we wish to play 3 at the back - bound to get some injuries - as indeed we have now - Klose.

Would allow Godfrey to cover in midfield. He seems better suited to a box to box / defensive midfield role.

These type of loans provides us with the quality, without the long term financial commitment.he''s played at various levels for England so is no ''hopeful''looks like it is all coming together, with the players coming in perhaps not the ''finished product''but perhaps the better for that

Wouldn''t see the point of this unless he''s free of charge.

We certainly need another in the centre of defence but a more established performer would be better. Apparently Zimmermann is the younger back-up we already have now.

Leistner seemed like a great punt for me so hope this rumour hasn''t ruled him out.

Such a loan for a striker would make more sense, imo.

Perhaps Zimmerman has impressed more than expected in pre-season and will play a bigger role than first thought. Would rather spend more money up top and through the middle.

John Terry thinks very highly of him and says he reminds him of himself. Lock up your women then.

Bristol Rovers fans seems distinctly unimpressed with him saying he was bullied and was lazy tracking back. Of course Time will tell but rather we took a punt on a lower league centre back with first team experience as back up or signed another first team option so Zimmermann can be back up. Never a fan of loaning in other teams kids unless they are attacking players, defensive players need consistency, something players below 20 rarely bring.

How many loans can you have thought it was 2 domestic and 2 overseas? Gunn and Bell already,

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]Bristol Rovers fans seems distinctly unimpressed with him saying he was bullied and was lazy tracking back. Of course Time will tell but rather we took a punt on a lower league centre back with first team experience as back up or signed another first team option so Zimmermann can be back up. Never a fan of loaning in other teams kids unless they are attacking players, defensive players need consistency, something players below 20 rarely bring.[/quote]

Kyle Naughton and Ryan Bertrand did well for us...

[quote user="king canary"]I''d hope it''s our final loan if true. Otherwise would be back to square one next season.[/quote]err, that is the ideawe get the quality WITHOUT the commitment of 3 year wage contracts when we don''t know where will will be next seasonhow the hell can we commit to having a large wage bill that we can''t get out off, yet be faced with a £32m drop in income ?

[quote user="Barnacle Bill"]These type of loans provides us with the quality, without the long term financial commitment.he''s played at various levels for England so is no ''hopeful''looks like it is all coming together, with the players coming in perhaps not the ''finished product''but perhaps the better for that[/quote]

All this money yet another cheap punt on a player with no experience. It''s certainly all going to plan for the paupers

[quote user="Splendid Rush"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"]Bristol Rovers fans seems distinctly unimpressed with him saying he was bullied and was lazy tracking back. Of course Time will tell but rather we took a punt on a lower league centre back with first team experience as back up or signed another first team option so Zimmermann can be back up. Never a fan of loaning in other teams kids unless they are attacking players, defensive players need consistency, something players below 20 rarely bring.[/quote]

Kyle Naughton and Ryan Bertrand did well for us...[/quote]

Kyle Naughton was 22 and had a 40 game season at Sheffield United in the championship and made his premiership debut for Tottenham, it''s hardly the same. Naughton is more akin to the the signing of Reed, a young player now making the jump from promising to established.

Granted Ryan Bertrand did well in a poor poor team at full back not in central defence he had also played 30 odd games at league 1 level before playing for us. I''m not saying it was his fault but everyone one that season was pretty poor for too long a periods and it ended in relegation we need to be aiming higher than that.

If were going to gamble with the central defence i''d much prefer it was one our own young players like Efete or Godfrey than someone elses, at least we might benefit from the learning experience long term.

[quote user="KeiranShikari"]I''d say winning a youth world cup is enough experience to give depth to a Championship squad.[/quote]Agree Keiran - I imagine that he will be 4th or 5th choice, unless he does particularly well when called upon. Depth and competition, but I''d have preferred the Arsenal player we were linked with who already has championship experience. But I know nothing - I''ve not seen either of them play![:)]

[quote user="king canary"]Who''s Bell?[/quote]

Haha I thought the exact same thing when I read that.. who that :S

it is tough one for me if he is 4th 5 th choice then i would prefer one of our youngster to be and around 1st team training maybe a chance

If he is going to be used in 1st team then i understand loaning a promising youngster from top team but if he is not playing we could of used the loan somewhere else and use our youth for back up ?

You have a point NnG, but perhaps they have had a look at our youth and don''t think they are ready yet? Alternatively, they may think that they are better off getting regular football in league 1 or 2?

There is no way he''ll be coming on loan to be 4th choice CH in a championship side.

This lad was quality when England won the tournament and is clearly highly thought of, they will not give him a big contract and then waste the first year of it.

He''s a better CH than some on the books at the moment, albeit with less experience, experience doesn''t give you talent though and this lad has it.

well if he is that good the loan is worth it

and i hope it plays

also loans are only good if they get us up into the PL otherwise we might as well given our own players game time but you only find that out at the end of season

you have to give yourself the best chance of going up hindsight is wonderful

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]There is no way he''ll be coming on loan to be 4th choice CH in a championship side.

This lad was quality when England won the tournament and is clearly highly thought of, they will not give him a big contract and then waste the first year of it.

He''s a better CH than some on the books at the moment, albeit with less experience, experience doesn''t give you talent though and this lad has it.[/quote]Most loans have a requirement of so many games being played by the player - otherwise he might just as well sit on the bench at his home club.There is no indication of the length of the loan either, presuming it is correctCurrently we have Martin/Pinto RBHusband/Toffolo LBZimmerman/Franke/Klose CBso on that basis we have a space for one more CBhowever I''m not too sure that DF wants to have the players sticking rigidly to one position

With all of the comings and goings the surprise of the close season for me is that so little has been said about Klose who I expected to be first out of the door.