Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Cameron Jerome next ?

[quote user=" Badger"][quote user="Essjayess"][quote user=" Badger"]Well if the stories of £6million are correct, that''s not bad for someone who will be 31 next month and no doubt on top wages.Of course, it all depends upon Webber being as good at identifying talent as he is supposed to be![/quote]Have to disagree with that, proven 15-20 a season goal scorer in the Champs, and done that more than once. Old Mac the Fulham striker, was a round a similar age and he went to Villa last season for 14 million. Defoe was knocking plenty of goals in for Sunderland at 33-34 if its age you are thinking of. It may seem a super fee just considering what we bought Cam for, but its service to us as a Champs striker that for me gives his true value, and at 30 turning 31, is still not that old.Fund me a similar striker  who would give us 15-20 goals for 6 million...[/quote]I''m a big fan of CJ, EJS, but I''m not sure that he will fit into the style of play that Farke wants to play.Re the value for money thing, I''d argue that CJ is a different type of striker to the two you mention - all about pace and power - and I suspect that he will diminish as a top player for this division as these qualities start to fade. The other thing is about resale value - it will diminish sharply after this year - so I could understand the sale if it has any legs at all.Re finding a replacement - yes that is the big issue - I suppose I am putting a lot of faith in Webber - I hope I''m not disappointed.[/quote]Fair points Badger but..as to fitting into Farkes style of play, you have to remember its a new learning curve for all the players who were here under the AN regime and i see no reason why Cam cannot adapt to whatever Farke requires from him as much as any other player. Its a long season of 46 games and DF may adopt many different formations in that season. If theres one guy at the club who you know will  give 100% and more to adapt and do his damndest fot the team, its Cam.As for resale value in a years time or whenever, why worry about in a years time? Its the here and now and this season that matters. We have shipped out 11 players, including young Jacob, young and eager for the move to the big riches of Tyneside to prove himself. Cam has nothing to prove to us, maybe he does to himself, and to his club, under the new regime. In anycase, this 6 mill is just a rumour from The Sun, it means nothing. Personally, i care nothing about 6 mill or Cam being a high earner, its his value and commitment to the City cause thats important factor for me, cannot put a price on that.

Darth Canary1 wrote the following post at 19/07/2017 9:57 PM:

Selling carrow road I would put on a par with merging with Ipswich

Phew, near miss there, thanks for pointing it out 👍

Norwich would be mad to turn down £6m for Jerome. At 31 he is only going to deteriorate from now on wards and the fee rumoured would be well over his value.

Would require the club to bring in a replacement of course, but in all likelihood Jerome is one of the highest earners at the club and not likely to be in the first choice XI - the fee and his wages could be spend on getting in someone who will play every week and improve the strength of the team, not just the bench.

Should we have sold Wes 4 or 5 years ago, for the equivalent of whatever 6 mill wouldave been at that time? I know the arguements that can be put forward about Wes being a different type of player etc etc, but point remains Cam is still only 30, not 31 until next month, none us know  if he will deteriorate quickly or slowly, if he loses a  smidgeon of pace he, like many other 30+ year old guys, adapt and learn new ways of taking care of themselves.Just dont understand the eagerness of many fans to quickly push him out the door for 6 mill. If we were the Binners, then yea, 6 mill would be like a fortune, they could make that last for 3 or 4 seasons worth of transfers.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Norwich would be mad to turn down £6m for Jerome. At 31 he is only going to deteriorate from now on wards and the fee rumoured would be well over his value.

Would require the club to bring in a replacement of course, but in all likelihood Jerome is one of the highest earners at the club and not likely to be in the first choice XI - the fee and his wages could be spend on getting in someone who will play every week and improve the strength of the team, not just the bench.[/quote]Folk would be mad to imagine that sort of offer has been madeIt is merely one of the rags putting sales from Forest, to a club clearing a lot of players, with a siilly figure to generate interestI would have thought that you BG would know that

i think 6 million will do us for a couple of seasons from now on !

we are not rich in fact we are about just about debt free i doubt even if we got 6 million we would reinvest it

The Daily Norwich (TWTD) are getting quite animated about this issue.

One thinks Delia is starting to recoup her money, whilst Phil the Ham (''man amongst boys, boy amongst men'' springs to mind there) feels that we could become ''financially less competitive than ITFC next season'' ... managing to completely overlook the fact that we will continue to massively outstrip their average attendance, have a squad full of players worth millions and have no repayments or rents to pay out.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]The Daily Norwich (TWTD) are getting quite animated about this issue.

One thinks Delia is starting to recoup her money, whilst Phil the Ham (''man amongst boys, boy amongst men'' springs to mind there) feels that we could become ''financially less competitive than ITFC next season'' ... managing to completely overlook the fact that we will continue to massively outstrip their average attendance, have a squad full of players worth millions and have no repayments or rents to pay out.[/quote]I presume this simple farm hand means season 2018/19 when we do not have the £31m parachute paymentHowever as you say our income is around 10m higher than these simply by dint of bigger attendances and better commercial activity.With the likes of Maddison, Murphy, Efete, Godfrey, Lewis, Toffolo breaking into the first team we will be streets ahead of them, and if transfers continue as they are the sale of Pritchard would alone equal their total income for the seasonpoor simple, slow witted binnersdo they never learn ?

Yep! Such is their obsession they''re thinking beyond this coming season already.

Re: the subject of relative income and attendances a character who calls himself Freddie''s Ears states:-

"Even their larger crowd doesn''t make up the difference."

Mathematics not his strong point then.

Having a wander over to twtd can be like the modern day equivilant  of a visit to BedlamThe depths of stupidity (if not delusion) can be quite scary at times

BY&G; Personally I''d sell him for £1m+.Bit harsh, IMO, £3m+ would be excellent. He still has a couple of years at this level and can still cause defenders problems.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I know £6m is probably a fantasy figure. But I was more saying that if it were real Norwich would be stupid to say no - as many people here seem to be advocating.

Personally I''d sell him for £1m+.[/quote]
And replace with who? Even if we decided the difference in potential wage demands meant we could spend £2 million, who''s out there who offers us anything close to what Jerome does for the same money?
It''s all very well putting on a financial head and thinking it makes sense from that point of view but we could also do with a vaguely competitive team for the coming season.

We need clinical strikers and while I love watching CJ play, in front of goal you are never sure if he is going to hit a good strike - and we need someone who does give you that confidence.  With Holt, at his best, you knew almost for sure he would score or at least get something meaningful on target, same with Oliveira.  CJ is a good striker still and has something to offer, but if he was sold in favour of a fast young striker wth pace, that fit''s in with the style Farke wants to play, it would be understandable.  It all depends on whether Farke sees him as fitting in and whether CJ sees himself fitting in. 

If it''s so easy to find this fast, young, hungry goal scoring machine who also happens to be cheap and doesn''t expect the going amount in wages. I wonder why these clubs don''t just sign him and cut out the middle man?

Lasse Vibe - £1m

Scott Hogan - cost £750,000

Tammy Abraham - minimal loan fee

Elias Kachunga - £1.5m

Kenneth Zohore - £1m

You may all remember that Cameron Jerome only cost £1.5m.

It is possible to find a good striker for around £1m, if you have a good scouting and recruitment team. Norwich have been lacking such a team for so long now it seems fans have forgotten it is even possible.

"It is possible to find a good striker for around £1m, if you have a good scouting and recruitment team. Norwich have been lacking such a team for so long now it seems fans have forgotten it is even possible. "

Fair comment

It''s not just Norwich though is it? Most clubs seem to struggle to find ''bargains'' even if they have buckets of cash, hence car crashes like McCormack, and the money spent on a sicknote like Assombalonga. If you have a player that has delivered for you (remember Wembley?) hang on to them for Christ''s sake. CJ is not just a successful Championship striker, he is a valuable team member.

Agreed Nuff said,  Cj is worth keeping for this season. I feel he''ll be back up to Nelson, and good value at that.

I think the club would accept that offer if there is any truth in it

The offer is good, but greatly devalued by the fact that it is from a Championship rival. Any enhancement of Fulham''s chances reduces our own.

Howson went to ''Boro because no Premier League outfit came for him, he wanted out and the offer was satisfactory in the end.

I am against selling anymore of our leading players to any Championship club, especially those likely to be in the "mix."

I think £3m is a complete joke considering how many goals he scored last season and is a seasoned pro in this league. I do understand he is getting slightly older and misses a lot of chances. But hes not showing the signs of decline. Hes always missed a lot. He misses a lot because of the type of striker he is - Earnshaw used to miss countless shots but scored plenty. The contribution he gives to a team in the championship is far more than £3m considering the value of those goals in terms of points.

I think that we have to buy into the model.Webber will obviously want to be successful. Presumably, if he sells it will because he feels that it increases our chances of success. This might be a playing style issue or because he feels that he can identify a player as good or better with the money made available.Given the player sales and releases + the parachute money, I can''t see it being an issue of cash flow.

I think overall he''s a keeper. He is a perfect defend-from-the-front CF & is a nightmare for defenders to cope with (witness the play-off final & the latest friendly). Although he misses far too many, he creates an awful lot more. He is powerful, athletic, pretty skillful, fast & unselfish. And it''s still possible our new coaching system may overcome his psychological block & squeeze more goals out of him (OK that''s maybe a fond hope).

So I wouldn''t let him go for less than £6m. And possibly not even then.

Can''t see it. Selling Jerome to Fulham would be far worse than selling Howson to Boro.If it got towards the fee that Forest were rumoured to be offering then perhaps it should be considered but that would all depend on who we can get in to replace him.

Selling him would leave us potentially needing to buy two strikers (one being a loan as 3rd backup after Morris going to Shrewsbury).

Money not necessarily being an issue, my biggest worry is that its getting very close to the season to sell another key member of the first team, and replacing CJ would of course take time, as transfers always do, and we need the team to have built up as much chemistry as possible by the time we play Fulham.

Replacing CJ with someone who would inevitably end up playing a considerable part thi season, but who hasn''t had a pre season to gel with the team, certainly wouldn''t be ideal.