Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Cameron Jerome next ?

£3m doubles our money for a proven goalscorer - wont be an easy decision but can only trust and hope we make the right choice - only allowing him to leave if we are confident in the replacement buy. As for his woeful finishing it was marginally better than the uncriticised Lord Nelsons last season; with better finishing neither would be in the championship. I am pleased we have both players.

Personally I would want to keep hold of him (for £3m) but accept he or the club may view things differently.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Let''s sell the entire squad. After all that strategy worked well for Blackpool.[/quote]

Worked well for Mr Chase too.

Wouldn''t have qualified for Europe unless the whole squad was sold.

Selling Jerome to a promotion rival would be as stupid as selling Howson to Middlesbro. Oh, wait....

Of course, he wanted to move back up north. And Dorrans wanted to move to his boyhood club Rangers. And Murphy wanted to move to his boyhood club Newcastle as well.

Obviously Mr Webber knows what he''s doing - why would you want to make your rivals stronger whilst weakening your own team? Clearly both Howson and Jerome are actually bad players and we will gain more points by having money in the bank because they are, after all, 29 and 30 years old, and obviously can''t run about anymore.

While we''re at it we should sell one of our best young players for £4m less than we said we would. And we''ll throw his brother in in a little while too, probably.

Then I''m going to replace all of them with young, hungry but actually not very good players, from the lower leagues of Europe, who have never heard of Norwich but are quite keen to earn some money they can''t earn at home.

If I did this at work, I''d expect to be fired, but apparently if you are running a football club it''s allowed and, not only that, you get praised to the rafters for being the "wind of change".

So if Jerome wants his move he just has to say he supported Fulham as a boy and he''s going to spit his dummy out like Howson, Dorrans and Murphy if he isn''t allowed to leave. Then he can score against us like Chris Martin did last year.

If this works it will be a bloody miracle.

[quote user="sgncfc"]Selling Jerome to a promotion rival would be as stupid as selling Howson to Middlesbro. Oh, wait....

Of course, he wanted to move back up north. And Dorrans wanted to move to his boyhood club Rangers. And Murphy wanted to move to his boyhood club Newcastle as well.

Obviously Mr Webber knows what he''s doing - why would you want to make your rivals stronger whilst weakening your own team? Clearly both Howson and Jerome are actually bad players and we will gain more points by having money in the bank because they are, after all, 29 and 30 years old, and obviously can''t run about anymore.

While we''re at it we should sell one of our best young players for £4m less than we said we would. And we''ll throw his brother in in a little while too, probably.

Then I''m going to replace all of them with young, hungry but actually not very good players, from the lower leagues of Europe, who have never heard of Norwich but are quite keen to earn some money they can''t earn at home.

If I did this at work, I''d expect to be fired, but apparently if you are running a football club it''s allowed and, not only that, you get praised to the rafters for being the "wind of change".

So if Jerome wants his move he just has to say he supported Fulham as a boy and he''s going to spit his dummy out like Howson, Dorrans and Murphy if he isn''t allowed to leave. Then he can score against us like Chris Martin did last year.

If this works it will be a bloody miracle.[/quote]
If I punched somebody repeatedly in the face and body at work, I''d expect to be fired, but apparently if you are ''boxing'' it is allowed. Funny how rules applied to our own workplaces don''t seem to apply universally to absolutely everything (!)

Jerome is worth more to us than the money being talked about.

With Jerome you know you are guaranteed 15+ goals a season - a replacement would cost 10million+ these days, and we are not going to be spending that much on a striker. Also, playing with 1 striker you need 2 strikers of equal quality to get you through a tough 46 game season

Even if it did happen, surely we wouldn''t be stupid enough to do it before we play Fulham...

Glad that more guys like ron, and others, are thinking along the same lines as me. Our opinions dont mean much to the situation anyway, its what the player  himself and the club think that matters. I recall in times past, when the players had delivered some truly awful performances, Cam had come across in interviews almost in tears at his and his team mates performances. See no evidence he  is unhappy here, like Nelson he is settled, and seems content with his lot. What does DF think of Cam? He seemed pretty happy with Cams performance in the last match, and giving him decent minutes in the friendlies.The one decent permanent striker signing we have  had since the days of Holty up to the signing of Nelson, ron nicely summed what Cam gives to the team, and more importantly, i think DF realises what Cam gives to the team, and how very hard it would be to replace him with a like for like guy. So selling Cam?..i would be sad and it would be mad.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Jerome is worth more to us than the money being talked about.

With Jerome you know you are guaranteed 15+ goals a season - a replacement would cost 10million+ these days, and we are not going to be spending that much on a striker. Also, playing with 1 striker you need 2 strikers of equal quality to get you through a tough 46 game season

Even if it did happen, surely we wouldn''t be stupid enough to do it before we play Fulham...[/quote]I echo this entirely. Although he does miss a lot of chances, his work-rate, commitment and movement is outstanding. Definitely worth more to us than any money we might realistically receive for him.

If we have any aspirations of top 6 we need to keep hold of him. Always a handful for defenders and scores his fair share. As with others he has his limitations he is not a pl player though he has managed a few seasons at that level but a top player at championship level. Ok age is a bit against him and he still has another 3 seasons or so in the tank. For the modest amount we would get for him he could not be replaced

Unfortunately the number of rumours surfacing and stories appearing suggest to me we have let it be known Jerome is available this summer for the right price.

Would be stupid to sell him if you ask me.

[quote user="Chip20"][quote user="sgncfc"]Selling Jerome to a promotion rival would be as stupid as selling Howson to Middlesbro. Oh, wait....

If this works it will be a bloody miracle.[/quote]
If I punched somebody repeatedly in the face and body at work, I''d expect to be fired, but apparently if you are ''boxing'' it is allowed. Funny how rules applied to our own workplaces don''t seem to apply universally to absolutely everything (!)
[/quote]

I still think it''s bordering on the delinquent to make a rival stronger like Webber has - and apparently could do again.

I am already on record about this chap. I think he is massively over-rated and out of his depth. What he has done so far just isn''t sensible - I realise though that football isn''t sensible so I shall be delighted to be completely wrong.

I agree with Feedthewolf and a few others on this - including Highland Canary''s quote "What a fiasco. It is difficult to conceive of a more efficacious strategy towards relegation."

However, I am surprised at Bethnal for his "Personally I''d sell him for £1m+."

Having seen the game on Friday and listened to DF''s comments about him after the game - he most certainly does appear to fit into his strategy.

Jerome started last season as our main striker. He won''t be this season yet is on high wages. We all know the club are looking to lower the wage bill considerably (has been talked about since relegation) so possibly selling Jerome really isn''t that much of a surprise.

We would need a replacement and if we can afford to keep him then we should imo as he is a fantastic player to have for when Oliveria is injured/knackered but all the pant wetting on here is stupid....for once the club are being honest with what they are doing and, if for nothing else, for that we should be pleased.

Fiery Zac - you say that Jerome is on high wages. How high? How much is he on compared to others the club have kept?

Compared to the cost of a replacement, how much different do you think the weekly wage bill be - £20k, £30k even £40k? That would equate to between £1m - £2m for the year.

Compare that to the cost of a replacement and getting him up to speed, the loss of an existing resource, and the potential number of points that we would be giving to one of our main competitors.

It''s all well and good for the club to be honest with what they are doing, but shooting themselves in the foot is just plain stupid!

He misses chances and is possibly the unluckiest striker I''ve seen play for us but he gives a lot to the team and is worth a bit more than 3m. If Newcastle bought Murphy for 4 last year we should be looking at at least 5m up front. We don''t have to sell and Jerome won''t kick up a fuss, hopefully we hold firm and get a good price if he has to go

Time to go Delia wrote the following post at 24/07/2017 6:29 PM:

"If we can replace our better players with cheap Germans I am sure we can find one to replace the aging average Jerome . "

This cheap German thing can be taken too far.

And the average thing too! Wasn''t he sixth highest scorer in the Champs last year? How many did McCormack get?

As a footballer based on what I''ve seen and especially going off of stats there''s nothing between him and Carlton cole who was capped 7 times for England and played for some big clubs.

He hasn''t lost any pace/power yet and is good for a around 15 goals a season, without a leaky defence that gets you into the play offs. If he was at a different club they''d be talking about much higher figures, why do clubs always low ball us so much? Is it a reputation for selling low or do we just over rate our players as fans?

I don''t understand how McCormack/Murphy can be worth so much with only a slightly better scoring rate at this level in individual seasons and Jerome is worth a pittance for some reason. He''s a guaranteed goal scorer at this level and contributes greatly to overall play, something the likes of Rhodes/McCormack etc don''t do. If we sell for under 5 million I''ll be really annoyed

Jerome has so many favourable attributes which is why it''d be hard to find a replacement for sensible money. Horse has it spot on.

I don''t think we could replace Jerome for less than 5 mil + wages; perhaps even more given this absolutely crazy market. He was one of the few players last season who clearly gave his all, and pulled no punches with regards to some of his post-match interviews. Unless he is a total want-away who is refusing to play, I think it would be an absolute disaster if we sold him.

For me he is as important to the squad as anyone, including Oliveira, and I can see him getting yet another 15-20 goals this season even with the inevitable injury timeouts. No doubt he is not the most clinical striker, but his work-rate and ability to create chances out of nothing is not something we could replace easily.

What price would you put on a guaranteed 15/20 goal striker, and team player (7 assists last season), at this level?

Despite his age, you cannot dispute his record at this level, and the effort he puts in every game is well known to everyone.

Unless someone comes in with a silly offer, ie over £5 million (which i highly doubt would happen anyway), then the club should be looking to keep him imo.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I''ve noticed Cam''s started taking penalties. Could make him a 20 goal striker.[/quote]as long as he has Hoolahan to get them for him

[quote user="Time to go Delia"]If we can replace our better players with cheap Germans I am sure we can find one to replace the aging average Jerome .[/quote]he didn''t look too ageing chasing the defender last week and winning the ballfollowed by a spot on cross for a goal

Agree with most here. I suspect he is viewed as one of the senior players and respected by the vast majority of the squad, IMO he brings more to the club than just his matchday contributions.

whats the going rate for a 15 to 20 goal a season striker in the champs who gives more than goals to to the team?IMO its about 10 mill.unless its us thats selling of coursekeep him