Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Cameron Jerome next ?

BritAss money talking for forest? Rumours of his departure persist, put some money on him leaving before the start of the season

Cant see Sunderland appealing

Well if the stories of £6million are correct, that''s not bad for someone who will be 31 next month and no doubt on top wages.Of course, it all depends upon Webber being as good at identifying talent as he is supposed to be!

[quote user=" Badger"]Well if the stories of £6million are correct, that''s not bad for someone who will be 31 next month and no doubt on top wages.Of course, it all depends upon Webber being as good at identifying talent as he is supposed to be![/quote]Have to disagree with that, proven 15-20 a season goal scorer in the Champs, and done that more than once. Old Mac the Fulham striker, was a round a similar age and he went to Villa last season for 14 million. Defoe was knocking plenty of goals in for Sunderland at 33-34 if its age you are thinking of. It may seem a super fee just considering what we bought Cam for, but its service to us as a Champs striker that for me gives his true value, and at 30 turning 31, is still not that old.Fund me a similar striker  who would give us 15-20 goals for 6 million...

Interesting development (if there''s any substance in the rumours, that is).On one hand he''s a proven striker at this level, gives 100% each game and is one of only 2 fully recognised strikers at the club (yes, Watkins et al CAN play there, but it''s not their primary role like CJ and Nelson), on the other hand, he''s not getting any younger, possibly doesn''t fully fit the system that Farke looks like playing, has shown that if we do get up that he can''t perform in the prem, is on some of the highest wages remaining at the club, and being fair 6 mil is a hell of a deal for a guy we paid 1.5mil for.I wouldn''t want to see CJ leave despite that however, as leaving us with just Nelson is a disaster waiting to happen if injuries or suspensions strike, and although Farke seems to be moving to a more possession based game with less focus on a strong and fairly pacy target man (instead, possibly preferring a striker with a more clinical and reliable conversion rate), there''s not doubt he gives us another option and would run himself into the floor for the team which is something DF will very much appreciate.On the other hand, you''ve got to think that regardless of whether or not we go up, this is probably CJ''s last season here, because either we''ll stay in the Champs and he WILL be moved on to reduce costs, or we''ll go up to the Prem and he''ll be moved on anyway as he simply isn''t good enough in the top flight despite all his good points, so do we sell now for a healthy profit and reduced wage bill and hope that Nelson (and whoever else we bring in for that position) can do the business, or do we take the risk of keeping him and possibly letting him go for far less in a years time?The key factor is whether or not CJ would be instrumental in getting us a promotion this season, and of course that''s the £100 mil question that nobody can really answer at this point. If we had a young Eadie/Sutton/Bellamy etc who could possibly be used I''d almost be tempted to do a deal, but we don''t at the minute, and unless Webber has a couple of names on his spreadsheet that really fit the bill, it''s still a no from me.

Forest signing Daryl Murphy £2m.

No way anyone would pay £6m for CJ.

He will be a big earner for us so could see him going. 31 and a big earner.

No doubt that £6 million is a hell of a fee for a player that is soon 31 but where does this stop? To quote a few posters on here after the Murphy sale this would be ''good business'' but would further weaken the squad and again our chances of promotion. The question is where does the board want this club to be? At the moment they seem happy in the championship

Get towards 4 million and I think we''d sell. This is the best chance to recoup a significant fee for him and I don''t see him fitting into how Farke plays. Could definitely see Forest wanting him with the money they now have. If the rumoured 6 million is true we''d be crazy not to sell and I rate him really highly at this level but he''s 31 and pace and power don''t last forever, wouldn''t be too upset to be honest.

[quote user="Essjayess"][quote user=" Badger"]Well if the stories of £6million are correct, that''s not bad for someone who will be 31 next month and no doubt on top wages.Of course, it all depends upon Webber being as good at identifying talent as he is supposed to be![/quote]Have to disagree with that, proven 15-20 a season goal scorer in the Champs, and done that more than once. Old Mac the Fulham striker, was a round a similar age and he went to Villa last season for 14 million. Defoe was knocking plenty of goals in for Sunderland at 33-34 if its age you are thinking of. It may seem a super fee just considering what we bought Cam for, but its service to us as a Champs striker that for me gives his true value, and at 30 turning 31, is still not that old.Fund me a similar striker  who would give us 15-20 goals for 6 million...[/quote]I''m a big fan of CJ, EJS, but I''m not sure that he will fit into the style of play that Farke wants to play.Re the value for money thing, I''d argue that CJ is a different type of striker to the two you mention - all about pace and power - and I suspect that he will diminish as a top player for this division as these qualities start to fade. The other thing is about resale value - it will diminish sharply after this year - so I could understand the sale if it has any legs at all.Re finding a replacement - yes that is the big issue - I suppose I am putting a lot of faith in Webber - I hope I''m not disappointed.

I agree Badger 6 mil for cam jam thank you very much

I would trust Webber he is doing a good job in my opinion :)

Far too early to judge if Webber is doing a good job yet. As always he and they will be judged by results on the pitch. There is a hell of a lot of almost blind faith being put in his methods based on what was achieved at Huddersfield last season and hopefully the same level will be achieved here, but football isn''t like that. Ranieri was hailed a genius and won world manager of the year, the next season he was sacked!

6m for Jerome seems highly unlikely. If they were offered that much I''d say Big Cam would be packing his bags for his last big payday. The money could be put to use finding another forward off the continent. But I can''t see this happening. Someone might offer 4m though. Hopefully we get one more productive year out of him

I would have done everything possible not to sell Murphy, but would I sell Jerome for the right price, definitely.

Of course having sold him you would then want to see the money used to buy a younger replacement of course, someone who looks like they might have the potential to be better. That is really the only way to drive a club like this forward, and is also why having a good scouting network is so pivotal.

Bit like what happened with Howson and Dorrans, sell just after their peak, and look to the future. It''s what should have happened with Ruddy as well, having an ex england international goalkeeper on your books and having to let him go for free in the end is just the result of bad management and planning and is something a cash poor club like ours cannot afford to do.

What if he doesn''t fit with Farke''s tactical style? We all keep thinking of that dreadful 231 that Neil employed into next season. If someone wants Jerome worse for age in the Champ for over the odds then let them have him

But if we didn''t have Ruddy on that contract we wouldn''t have him at all. That''s the reality. Back in the day players eagerly awaited the retained list for the following season. This was obviously unacceptable. But now players and their agents are in effect in charge of that list.

Take a gander at Cameron''s CV -- the longer he stays at a club the less effectual he becomes - factoring in that with his age and high earnings would surely render the dismissal of offers in the £5 million region as totally nuts.