Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

Transfer Fees - Swans Reject £40m for Sigurdsson

A fairly average PL player. A failure at Spurs but now valued at £50m just because he can be.

It''s been mental for years but somebody has to stop this complete madness.

But at least it does show how useless we still are at selling players when Southampton and Swansea just hold out for more and get it. Just like we should have done for Howson and Murphy. People who say we did well are just wrong.

[quote user="sgncfc"]A fairly average PL player. A failure at Spurs but now valued at £50m just because he can be.

But at least it does show how useless we still are at selling players when Southampton and Swansea just hold out for more and get it. Just like we should have done for Howson and Murphy. People who say we did well are just wrong.[/quote]You mean folk swallowing all this shyteif you want to over excite yourself about made up numbers then do continue

It seems to me there''s now at least 3 tiers to the PL and maybe he''s a player the second tier may want. But he''s definitely worth that to Swansea and they may not be able to replace him even if they get 50m. 

He is a very good player, but at a club that finished in 15th place last season. Considering he was deemed to be surplus to requirements at Tottenham, I really do not think he is worth £40/50 million at all, considering Bayern could end up buying James Rodriguez at the end of his loan for less than that.

£12.5 mil for a player with one good season in the championship up until now and no premier league experience is decent money. Yes, he could be double that if he does the same in the premier league but that''s Newcastle''s punt. We also have a sell on clause. £6 mil for a 29 year old that has championship and premier league experience but has never taken the latter by storm is also good money imo.

Transfer fees are so rediculously inflated it doesn''t even seem real anymore. Man City have spent a quarter of a billion pounds so far this summer on pretty average players. Most of which are probably being paid £200k a week plus. The EPL and the Champs to a far lesser extent are in their own little bubble but you go down a tier and no money is available for transfers and the best players are earning less than a 16 year old at Chelsea.

[quote user="Barnacle Bill"][quote user="sgncfc"]A fairly average PL player. A failure at Spurs but now valued at £50m just because he can be.

But at least it does show how useless we still are at selling players when Southampton and Swansea just hold out for more and get it. Just like we should have done for Howson and Murphy. People who say we did well are just wrong.[/quote]You mean folk swallowing all this shyteif you want to over excite yourself about made up numbers then do continue[/quote]
Interesting, because Swansea chairman said himself, that they reject £40 million.
Just because you enjoy this false pretence that you''re on some intellectual high-ground doesn''t actually make you right; in fact you tend to be wrong about the majority of things you post.

Swansea must be in a position to turn down 40 mil where we are not in a good place Money wise with wages that need trimming and No Sky money after this season !

we could still have Murphy here saying he is not for sale we want 30 million but nobody was going to pay that and the player wanted the move and we needed the money

with Sigurdsson Swansea have been offered 40 mil the player has not kicked up a fuss ( not heard that or been in media ) so they can play hard ball compared to us and murphy

Sure I read he didn''t go on their pre-season tour, could be wrong though. I think he''s a great player, they could well have been relegated without his assists and goals last season. So, he''s worth more than £40 mill to them. I do think he will leave though, prob to Everton, they have the Lukaku money.

Having said that, the transfer fees are now ridiculous and are a detriment to smaller clubs, who cant compete. Sincerely hope this bubble bursts too.

Ever rising transfer fees don''t worry me so much as ever-increasing wages.

The transfer fees are partly swings and roundabouts and with basic running costs not keeping up with their inflationary direction it is possible for the smaller clubs to benefit in some ways.

Whereas Norwich City can now sell a relatively inexperienced youngster for £12.5m and hopefully ease their financial restraints somewhat an even smaller club can now sell a player upwards for the kind of fee that would secure running costs for some time.

Wages in the player''s pockets though are money lost to the game it''s self.

I suppose the tax payer benefits somewhat from Rooney''s millions from the game, whilst his agent would cream money from the pot as well.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Barnacle Bill"][quote user="sgncfc"]A fairly average PL player. A failure at Spurs but now valued at £50m just because he can be.

But at least it does show how useless we still are at selling players when Southampton and Swansea just hold out for more and get it. Just like we should have done for Howson and Murphy. People who say we did well are just wrong.[/quote]You mean folk swallowing all this shyteif you want to over excite yourself about made up numbers then do continue[/quote]
Interesting, because Swansea chairman said himself, that they reject £40 million.
Just because you enjoy this false pretence that you''re on some intellectual high-ground doesn''t actually make you right; in fact you tend to be wrong about the majority of things you post.
[/quote]Well that is you told in no uncertain terms hogesar by Diabolical Bill. If only you knew half what he does about everything hey ? [:D]

I think the word is spiralling. No doubt about it, there are clubs that can and will pay anything to get their man. Makes it all so much of a joke. Can PSG be serious about £190+M for Neymar? That would just be madness and the asylum would be out of control.
Plus as has been mentioned, the wages these players will be on just makes it more and more likely that there will be something that brings it all crashing down.
If the TV money goes then Swansea would take £10M for him so at least it would stop the inflationary side to transfers.
And I think the money for Jacob was about right for a player who has only played two seasons regularly and at no higher than mid table Championship. Yes, more would have been better but I think the club do know more about fees than we do. 

Problems will inevitably occur if the next round of TV money goes down, especially with players on longer contracts.

Transfer fees paid in relation to clubs'' revenues is actually staying pretty level. Players'' wages are falling slightly for most clubs as a percentage of revenue, so the inflation in prices and wages is a natural effect due to the inflation of TV deals. The current deal has a couple more years to run, so PL clubs know there is a guaranteed income from that for the next two seasons.

A few clubs are now inserting clauses into contracts that see a potential for player wages to be reduced should TV income fall dramatically - but with the overseas market continuing to hot up and the competition between Sky and BT I think we will see rises in income for the next 5 - 10 years at least. With Amazon, Google, YouTube and Netflix all rumoured to be interesting in entering the live sports market, there is potential for increased competition and even more money for the PL teams.

i don''t post here often, but have to agree with most of what is said in this thread. i am a manchester city supporter. have been all my life, so have somewhere in the region of 45 years under my belt as a blue. i have never been more disillusioned with football than i am now. i totally agree that the bubble needs to burst, and soon.we have broken real madrid''s record for spend in a window and probably are not finished yet. it''s like playing CM with all the ''cheats'' on.the game is no longer for the working people, ticket prices could be practically zero, and the clubs in the prem would hardly notice on the bank statements. the prem has become a ''dick swinging'' contest, nothing more. it is sad. but there''s nothing i, or any of you can do about it. i thought about supporting another team outside the prem to give me something to do on a saturday afternoon, but i just can''t. the "aguero!!!!" moment will always give me goosebumps, but thanks for the memories, premier league. and adieu...and good luck in the champ. i reckon you''ll finish 6th - 8th fwiw.

so have somewhere in the region of 45 years under my belt as a blue. i have never been more disillusioned with football than i am now.
Same for me. I intend to watch local rugby next season rather than listen to Ifollow who have increased the fee to £4.49 a month instead of £39.99 per year. I will watch the highlights on Channel 5 of our games and live when we are on SKY or BT.
I hope the Ifollow experiment works and in time us exiles still in the UK can watch the games for a fee which I will be happy to pay, within reason.

Cheers for that exiled blue and i totally agree about the bubble needing to burst but at the moment we are held prisoner by the dick swingers as far as the Premiership is concerned and am sorry to say it is creeping down into The Championship at an alarming rate of knots.

It is an interesting summer, because reports today suggest that as many as 13 Chinese Super League clubs are in crisis as they have failed to pay their players properly.

These huge fees and wages are simply not sustainable and, as many here have said, the bubble will eventually burst, and I think the consequences will be quite severe.

it''s only a matter of time before 16 or so of the prem clubs are foreign owned. we are well on the way to that now. and as in the case of my own club, no-one will be able to shift them. the money these owners have is just too much. this''ll leave about 3 or 4 slots for teams to rotate through from the championship, which will then become the next league to be slowly bought out. it''s already happeneing at your level. eventually they may as well cancel relegation/promotion. and the whole pyramid system will die out leaving about 40 clubs in england financially viable, only because of the owners'' money, and just about everyone else reduced to the status of part-timers.then the next step will be a euro super league.

it looks bleak to me tbh!!.

People have been making these bleak comments about the PL since it arrived and they haven''t really come to fruition yet. It was only the season before last when a complete outsider won the league!

The Premier League is a bloated cash cow, but as it has equal distribution between all 20 clubs, unlike Spain, then it means there is a ''top 6'' - that is massively competitive when compared to other European Leagues who generally don''t get beyond a ''top 2''.

Foreign owned clubs can also get relegated and promoted clubs still stand a fighting chance of surviving in the league if they act a little smarter than the established clubs. More money does need to flow down to the EFL from the Premier League, that is for sure, but again Huddersfield have shown that being that little bit smarter than everyone else can still reap great rewards.

As long as fees and wages rise consistently with income then I can''t see clubs going bust in any big way. The money from broadcasting might reduce, but it isn''t suddenly going to stop over night, and clubs will have a couple of years warning of their income going forward as the new deal isn''t negotiated right before the previous one ends.

the money from the prem and from sky is a drop in the ocean to a lot of clubs in the prem now though.if sky didn''t give city, chelsea, united liverpool etc etc , a single penny, they would hardly miss it. take all the money being spent by my club, it may be dressed up as profit, but i''ll bet if you trace it back through several levels of ''creative'' accountancy, it''s from abu dhabi.eventually, once all the ''big'' clubs, from the big cities, with the bigger support, have been bought up, the spotlight will fall on clubs like norwich.and ''they''ll'' make an offer even delia can''t refuse!.and whilst i agree about leicester winning the league. do you think you or i will see anything like that again in our lifetime?.

Man City''s last set of accounts shows that the club is now self financing. While this latest splurge might in future show that Abu Dhabi are now putting money into the club again, we won''t know for a year or so but I highly doubt it given their desire for the club to become self sustaining.

TV Broadcast, for Premier League and European football equalled about 40% of Man City''s income for 15/16 - which certainly isn''t a ''drop in the ocean''. When you add in that the broadcast deal increase from £3bn to £5bn (just for domestic rights, there is another £3bn for international rights), from the 2015/16 to the 2016/17 season - then you can see how Man City can spend £200m on full backs without it requiring the owner to dip into their pocket.

While FFP is much maligned, and rightly so at times, it really has had an impact on how much wealthy owners can pump into a club before falling foul of the rules. UEFA challenged Etihad paying £400m for shirt and stadium sponsorship over 10 years (and fined the club £16m), this deal now looks undervalued when you consider Yokohama Tyres pay Chelsea £40m a year just to have their name on their shirts and Chevrolet pay £56m to United.

Clubs like Arsenal and Man United see their owners take money from the clubs rather than invest it into them. It shows that the route to success really isn''t reliant on a mega rich owner pumping money into the club. Tottenham being a case in point by mounting title challenges and being near the top of the table without any investment from the owner.

Will we see another Leicester in our lifetime? Who knows? No one expected to see they one we had.

When Ronald McDonald starts leading the teams out in ''exhibition'' games then you know the plot has well and truly been lost.

fair play bethnal, you obviously know a lot more about it than i do, or than i want to, to be honest. but it doesn''t change the fact that so many clubs are now seen as almost, fashionable trinkets for the world''s wealthiest. i remember going to maine road in the early 90''s i think, and seeing niall quinn stood outside the main entrance, in shorts and a training top. i asked him what he was doing,  "just waiting for me mum to turn up". looking at it now, those days are long gone.anyhow, good luck to you lot, it looks a hard league this year.

مجرد انتظار بالنسبة لي أمي لتحويل "
"just waiting for me mum to turn up" in arabic
Soon the "programmes" will be printed in 5 languages.