Sign in to follow this  
Bill

J Murphy to be sold .....

You won''t be getting a centre half like that, Farke wants them to keep the ball, not aimlessly lump it up the pitch

I''m picturing Duncan Forbes hoofing a medicine ball Beckham-style from his own half into the opposition''s net.

Centre Backs aren''t as tough as they used to be...

Thanks for asking RTB,

Will certainly produce a Masterclass on the overriding patterns, movements and intentions of the new structure, though will need more than a few pre-season friendlies and training sessions.

The players will need to be able to translate the instructions on to grass - not a fait accompli - in a competitive environment on a repeating basis. A few games into the season at least.

If you would like a few broad brush stroke guesstimate outlines from the little we have seen so far, I would expect a greatly increased level of pragmatic game-management. An ability to do what I was schooled in Italy 20 years ago as a young player to ''give them nothing to write about'', to understand why, when and how to make tactical fouls and an ability to take the sting out of the opposition when they have a good period.

I have already see faint notes of the above and they are all greatly welcome.

Good football is not all expansive attacking - indeed that is foolishly one-dimensional - game-management is a great skill and not giving away cheap structural advantage to the opponent forces them to come out of shape, which you then are poised and schooled to exploit.

Calculated rather than cavalier.

Parma

[quote user=" Badger"]It seems that Jacob has gone to Germany - I know it''s only a short flight back, but suggests that there''s no agreement yet.https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2017/july/germany-tour-squads/

[/quote]That is good news. Seems like Newcastle are testing our resolve and we''re staying strong so far.

taken from Badger''s link we haveAngus GunnMichael McGovernRemi MatthewsPaul JonesIvo PintoBen GodfreyRussell MartinChristoph ZimmermannMarcel FrankeJames HusbandHarry ToffoloJamal LewisJosh MurphyYanic WildschutHarrison ReedAlexander TetteyMario VrancicJames MaddisonSteven NaismithJacob MurphyWes HoolahanMarley WatkinsNelson OliveiraCameron JeromeKlose and Pritchard set to be included but injuredso that would give us 26, say 25 with one keeper leavingAndreu and Jarvis are out of the picturewe usually had a squad of 25 in the PL(their rules) so would we go any bigger, or some still to leave ?

The squad of 25 excluded ''under age'' players (don''t think Redmond ever counted toward it), so you''d think we want a little more depth? But seeing the list, and adding Klose/Pritchard, I''m generally pretty happy with the squad as it goes.

I don''t understand Jacob being there though - surely we ''fold'' at the first sign of a bid, and it''s all already sorted???

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]The squad of 25 excluded ''under age'' players (don''t think Redmond ever counted toward it), so you''d think we want a little more depth? But seeing the list, and adding Klose/Pritchard, I''m generally pretty happy with the squad as it goes.

I don''t understand Jacob being there though - surely we ''fold'' at the first sign of a bid, and it''s all already sorted???[/quote]Personally after reading this forum I thought he had already left, along with Oliveira.I suspect one of McGovern or Jones will be gone. Possibly both. Do we need three keepers permanently here ?If any others it would be Tettey and/or NaismithThough everyone has his price and there''s still 6 weeks or so to go.

We really don''t need to get rid of Tettey and indeed if we did o would be more worried.The constant slating of Tettey by some really annoys me. if people are not able to see he is a very good defensive midfielder at this level (and may be particularly useful in the formations our new coach appears to like to play) then I am slightly gob smacked.

user="lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)"I''m concerned that Tettey seems to be a main part of the squad still.

We really need to replace him with another centre midfielder. I feel we''re missing something there with the departures of Dorrans and Howson.It''s been acknowledged that Tettey cannot play as much as the schedule in the Championship demands, I thought that was why Harrison Reed was bought in. 

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]user="lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)"I''m concerned that Tettey seems to be a main part of the squad still.

We really need to replace him with another centre midfielder. I feel we''re missing something there with the departures of Dorrans and Howson.It''s been acknowledged that Tettey cannot play as much as the schedule in the Championship demands, I thought that was why Harrison Reed was bought in. [/quote]

My understanding was Reed is more box to box type, rather than a holding DM.

Tettey is not good enough anymore. He can only play the DM role, but that requires moving the ball quickly in tight spaces, but with Tetteys poor control he''s often closed down easily.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="A Load of Squit"]user="lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)"I''m concerned that Tettey seems to be a main part of the squad still.

We really need to replace him with another centre midfielder. I feel we''re missing something there with the departures of Dorrans and Howson.   It''s been acknowledged that Tettey cannot play as much as the schedule in the Championship demands, I thought that was why Harrison Reed was bought in. [/quote]

My understanding was Reed is more box to box type, rather than a holding DM.

Tettey is not good enough anymore. He can only play the DM role, but that requires moving the ball quickly in tight spaces, but with Tetteys poor control he''s often closed down easily.[/quote]

Imo the two touch short pass football should mean players won''t be closed down so much as the ball will be moving much more quickly around the team, making it harder to close players down. That should suit Tettey.

Must admit I''m one of the ones who feels we need to replace Tettey and get an upgrade.

True he is a combative midfielder and get''s his foot in BUT his touch and in particular passing (even at short range) are awful. He is also quite ponderous and slow thinking on the pitch.

Has done a job for us in a poor midfield but we need better if we really still want promotion.

user="lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)"I''m concerned that Tettey seems to be a main part of the squad still.

We really need to replace him with another centre midfielder. I feel we''re missing something there with the departures of Dorrans and Howson.It''s been acknowledged that Tettey cannot play as much as the schedule in the Championship demands, I thought that was why Harrison Reed was bought in. My understanding was Reed is more box to box type, rather than a holding DM.

Tettey is not good enough anymore. He can only play the DM role, but that requires moving the ball quickly in tight spaces, but with Tetteys poor control he''s often closed down easily.

When he signed this is how he described himself;

"The 22-year-old became the fifth signing of the Daniel Farke era and

has spoken about the style of play he will bring to Norfolk this season.

“Last couple of seasons I’ve played as a deep-lying midfielder really, as a number six as they call it,” Reed explained.

“I like to get on the ball, keep things ticking over. Out

of possession I’m aggressive, I like to win the ball back and get the

team playing again.”"

Sounds like the sort of player to replace/compliment Tettey.

You''re also assuming that our style of play will be the same as last season which it probably won''t be.

Tettey was the 2nd most accurate passer at Norwich last season, for both long and short passes. He also lost the ball through poor touches less than Jonny Howson or Alex Pritchard.

Tettey is slowing down but he doesn''t miss pass the ball that often and isn''t disposed that often. He does need be carefully managed though due to successive injuries and can''t be expected to play week in, week out.

Reed has been brought in as first choice DM and I expect Tettey will play if Farke wants a more robust midfield, or to help close out games.

[quote user="rock bus"]Must admit I''m one of the ones who feels we need to replace Tettey and get an upgrade.

True he is a combative midfielder and get''s his foot in BUT his touch and in particular passing (even at short range) are awful. He is also quite ponderous and slow thinking on the pitch.

Has done a job for us in a poor midfield but we need better if we really still want promotion.[/quote]

I''ve no doubt he has struggled in the last couple of seasons, but he has been very good for us and I don''t believe a player just loses ability - what they can lose is their confidence and direction - and with a fresh approach that can be rekindled.  Arguably, Tettey''s best performnces for us were under Hughton and at first under Neil (when Neil arrived and seen as a strong manager) so imo he needs to be focussed and disciplined in the role he has in the

team and Farke is the kind of manager who is likely to demand that focus

and discipline. So if you can get him focussed, limit him to what he is good at - breaking up play and laying off a short pass, then he can be more effective and a useful for the team. 

Tettey''s main weakness has always been his positioning. He can''t play as a disciplined holder as he follows the ball and the action too much. Tactically if we don''t ask him to that then he could be very good.

Tettey was good at holding position under Hughton, when the team was much more structured. Under Neil it was too loose and Tettey got caught between needing to press players and needing to protect the back 4.

If Farke plays a 4-1-4-1 with Tettey the ''1'' between midfield and defence I think that could suit him very well - although as said before it looks pretty likely that Reed will take that role.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

If Farke plays a 4-1-4-1 with Tettey the ''1'' between midfield and defence I think that could suit him very well - although as said before it looks pretty likely that Reed will take that role.[/quote]

It''ll be interesting to see what Farke''s preferred formation is. He started with a 4-3-3 that reverted to a 4-1-4-1 without the ball against Cobh, I think Lowestoft was a 4-1-4-1, Stevenage was 3-4-3 and Cambridge had 3-4-3, and 3-5-2

Fee agreed according to Sky Sports.
Not surprised but not happy about it.
Sends a bad message to the fans and the wider football world about our ambitions for this season.

We will no doubt hear the same old guff they''ve been trotting out for decades but we all know in our hearts that this is the start of a downward slide.

Does anyone know the actual fee? I''ve seen 12.5m as the initial fee rising with add-ons but I''ve also seen 10.5m with 2m add-ons.

Can anyone shed light on this

It''s clear what our true ambitions are now, isn''t it? We will be back to the pre Lambert days within 3 seasons.

Turned down £300K last season, got £12.5M this season. Of course we''ll miss him, but not as much as some think I feel. Now invest in another quality CH with some of this money.

[quote user="ricardo"]We will no doubt hear the same old guff they''ve been trotting out for decades but we all know in our hearts that this is the start of a downward slide.[/quote]I''m renaming you Highland Ricardo [:P]