Sign in to follow this  
Bill

J Murphy to be sold .....

[quote user="JF"]Careful Ricardo or you will be labelled a ''Doom monger''![/quote]JF, to continue going to CR for as long as I have you have to learn to accept reality.I accept it but I don''t like it.

What odds on us signing him on loan in January to gain match time?

As an eternal optimist. I''m seeing DF as a more intelligent (& tactically aware) version of PL.

Moulding young, hungry players/players with a point to prove is the way to go!

The future for us lies with players like Jamal Lewis & Louis Thompson (injuries permitting). And don''t forget we''ve still got Josh.

Exciting times ahead!

Well played Mr Webber, well played.

Tbh I''m gonna miss howson more, we have so many wide options that it will be easy to replace Jacob (plus we have a literal carbon copy of him!). I''m just sad we never got to see them causing havoc on the pitch together. Hope we don''t waste the money on rubbish now though, we could pick up 2 or 3 real solid players to improve our weak spine. the attack for me is pretty much sorted.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]i think with jacob people are disappointed as we have not see anything like the best of him

i for one think it is good doing a southampton for the good of the club

producing youngsters and selling them on will be a good income

but i feel unlike Southampton we have not seen enough of Murphy to feel like he has our bless after a few years of service and enjoyment from us if that makes sense ??[/quote]

If Murphy had been playing for Southampton they would have held out for £30m for him. No other club has their steel in the transfer market.

Its not relevant how much he is worth - what''s relevant is how much we value him at and we said that was £16m. Jacob had a 4 year deal. 4 years!!! Why have we sold him now for £12m when we could have stuck to our guns and told Newcastle to pay the price we said we wanted, which was £16m (still under priced in my opinion).

If this is Webber playing hardball, I might just ring him up to renegotiate my season ticket price. I know he said it was £530 but I only fancy paying £400, and that''s my final offer. OK, £425 then.

No, it isn''t a win win. We know that Jacob is good and is improving all the time. We have no idea what we will spend the money on - our track record for spending money isn''t exactly good is it? When did we last make a decent purchase?

At least we didn''t sell him to a promotion rival - what a stupid decision that is with Howson.

But German second division centre-half''s are obviously bound to be better than the internationals we already have in that position.....I must be the only person who thinks Webber is a complete idiot.

I''m not usually a pessimist but I see us going downwards rather than upwards.

[quote user="sgncfc"][quote user="norfolkngood"]i think with jacob people are disappointed as we have not see anything like the best of him

i for one think it is good doing a southampton for the good of the club

producing youngsters and selling them on will be a good income

but i feel unlike Southampton we have not seen enough of Murphy to feel like he has our bless after a few years of service and enjoyment from us if that makes sense ??[/quote]

If Murphy had been playing for Southampton they would have held out for £30m for him. No other club has their steel in the transfer market.

Its not relevant how much he is worth - what''s relevant is how much we value him at and we said that was £16m. Jacob had a 4 year deal. 4 years!!! Why have we sold him now for £12m when we could have stuck to our guns and told Newcastle to pay the price we said we wanted, which was £16m (still under priced in my opinion).

If this is Webber playing hardball, I might just ring him up to renegotiate my season ticket price. I know he said it was £530 but I only fancy paying £400, and that''s my final offer. OK, £425 then.[/quote]absolute toshyou have no knowledge of the negotiations or even the fee, what involves eitheryou are just over exciting yourself as you think you have something to attack the club with .... again

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Jim Smith"]Boro have spent (or will have very shortly) £25m so far this summer including buying Howson from us.

Unfortunately I doubt us reinvesting about a quarter of the Murphy money on lower league German players will do us as much good as some seem to think.[/quote]We are re-structuring for a very different future Jim. Lower league German players will fit that bill comfortably.[/quote]I find myself in agreement with most of your input on this message-board, but I feel you''re judging the quality of Farke, his signings to date and German football very badly.A fast-passing game with a strong emphasis on technique and intelligence is the order of the day where German football is concerned - I''m certain Farke and the coaching staff are busying themselves instilling this into our squad.These Germans are ruthless and smart, Ricardo, and I for one relish the prospect of this coming season.

Personally I think this is a shocking decision. Overall I''ve been ''pretty content'' (as Farke would say) with most of the changes this summer, but this is one I don''t agree with one bit. Was still an important player with his goals and assists stats last season despite blowing hot and cold as he was still adjusting in his first full season at that level. I think he could have been a vital player for us this season with this experience under his belt and would have thrived under the new coach and style of play.

Also astonished that so many people can''t see that Jacob was not keeping Josh out of the team or vice-versa. It was simply the managers decision to just not field the two of them together (maybe their combined inexperience was his reason, after all you never win anything with kids. Or maybe it would have made our defence a little lightweight) But whatever his reason was, they remain different players. They can play in the same side and actually complement each others games as shown in the Fa youth cup side. They played on different wings for crying out loud. That side was better for having two Murphys in it instead of one. And I think the full team would have benefitted similarly in time. Infact this was the season, when having gained a little experience they could have ended up turning out together. Either on each wing, or with one as a pacey striking option. All that promise of a partnership, and then for one to leave at the moment we might get to see what potential it really had is most dissappointing. He was ''one of our own'' (a rare thing in football these days) and frankly we didn''t put up that much of a fight to keep him. Given his contract situation at the very least we should have been able to keep hold of him for another season if we really wanted to. Better players with bigger profiles than Jacob Murphy have been convinced to stay at a club. If we did want to keep him and Webber couldn''t convince him then he needs to take a long hard look at how he handled this situation. Bizarrely it seems to me that we just weren''t that desperate to keep one our best young players who if he fulfilled his potential this year might have helped drive the club forward.

If you buy young and hungry players, with the aim of developing them, but then you sell those players as soon as it looks like they might be getting good, what is the point. At some point you have got to draw a line. Players you want to keep for as long as possible for the progress of the club otherwise you are nothing more than a glorified feeder club to the teams you want to be displacing from the Premiership. Pritchard, Maddison, the Murphys. These are the players where the lines should be drawn, where we keep them as long as is absolutely possible. Howson and Dorrans, these are the players we are rightly selling for progress sake, whose monetary value is only diminishing and whose footballing value will be soon. Not Jacob Murphy, at least not yet. No-one really knows what we are selling or how good he could be. And he was certainly good enough to wait and see a little longer. Obviously a coach of the calibre of Rafa Benitez thought this was a good deal for Newcastle.

Honestly I suspect that this is the hard end of the wedge for the clubs mismanagement of players relegation clauses and parachute payments that has left us with too high a wage bill and not enough cash to rebuild the squad. (Those relegation clauses obviously weren''t worth the paper they were written on if they''ve scuppered us just a year down the line - Do they not continue to re-adjust in line with the reduction in parachute payments?) But despite this potential reasoning for the decision I still do not agree with it. For someone who said we needed to be creative in the transfer market Webber has taken about the least creative option available - selling one of our biggest potential assets for this and future seasons, who might have been worth even more financially this January let alone this time next year.

This MUST be a one off. What happens if a 12m bid for Pritchard comes in now. Thats good money again. Would we take that as well? Someone offers 5m for Maddison. He hasn''t played much - quite a good offer. Take that as well? We''ve got loads of options in that area of the pitch. I assume we''re selling Josh next summer when he looks like he''s getting good too? All goes into the pot for rebuilding that defence I suppose. Despite the fact we''ve already signed three defenders this summer. Or were they not good enough for the first team? And if they were do we desperately need 12m pounds to play with for making additions? I guess we will see what Webber and Farke think about that in coming weeks. But we had better buy someone with that money, and they had better be worth it,

Despite all that I''m still looking forward to the new season, and still reasonably positive about it too. Just gutted it was a murphy who we decided to cash in on, so early in his norwich career.

Just seen we are already being linked with a midfielder where some of the Murphy money might go. Hanno Behrens, DM. 27 yrs old - so not that young, but a ''midfield motor'' apparently which I like the sound of. Midfield did not control games enough last season while offering protection to the back four. Don''t really want to see Tettey still playing there next season if possible.

I think what this Murphy decision from Webber has actually done for me is to ironically raise what I expect for the season ahead.. For him to cash in on Murphy to rebuild the squad (hopefully we will actually sign some people). He had better be building a squad that is capable of taking us up. Frankly that''s the only thing that will excuse it in my mind.

[quote user="JF"]We may well still go on to have a successful season, anything less than the play offs should be considered failure though. But make no mistake, this sale has weakened our squad and therefore damaged our chances of promotion. I find it quite ridiculous that some posters are hailing this a ''good business''[/quote]Not specifically having a go at you, JF, but this post sums up what I will be politically correct and call the "less positive" posts on here. You cannot say that the squad is weakened until we have reinvested the money raised, but you and others are already predicting what will happen.We''re not relegated yet, Jacob hasn''t torn up the PL, we haven''t sold Prtichard and Maddison but posters are fantasising that this will happen and having a go based on their (miserable) predictions. If you''re so good at seeing the future, buy a winning lottery ticket and invest the proceeds in the club. If not and you wnat to criticise, do it based on the here and now. For example, I don''t agree that we should have hung on to Jacob at all costs for another season, the money is more valuable than his probable contribution IMHO, but it''s a valid argument.

Just to put this in perspective, if you believe the figures then we will sell JaM for circa £12.5mFor the same sort of money we bought -Wildschut + NaismithNaismith or Wildschut + Andreu and JarvisOr looking at it another way, we''ve got rid of JaM & Howson (15 goals between the 2) for approx the same price we paid for all 4 of them (6 goals between the 4).Good business?Yeah right!

The straw that broke the supporters back, IF remotely true.

If it does happen I will most surely cross Delia Smith from off my Christmas card list, rip her portrait from off my toilet wall, burn all her cookery books in my collection, stick needles in my Delia doll and write a very large placard in Cantonese saying "Come and get us." and post it on Facebook.

Nah! Won''t get off the ground. Nobody at Carrow Road is that stupid.

Reportedly we rejected a bd of £4m for Josh, which seems extremely low.

If we sell one of our best young talents to a promotion rival there will be a lot of anger. I don''t think this going to get off the ground though.

Reported by Craig Hope of The Daily Mail on his Twatter account. £4 million is a complete joke.

i thought we wanted to get rid of the high earning non performing players deadwood

not the lower earning players which have potential and are the clubs future !!

Jacob has made slightly quicker progress than Josh, but with a run in the team this season Josh should show he has every bit of the quality that his brother has, if not more. So leave it six months and Josh''s value will likely shoot up to the level

of Jacob''s.  Selling him now for anything under £10m would be a

nonsense and totally short-sighted.

All the sales so far could reasonably have the "necessary" tag applied to them.

Both Howson and Dorrans apparently wanted away and there is some truth in the fact that they may have reached their sell-buy date.

However, ''Boro did quite well from the deal, imo.

Jacob was necessary because his head was turned by an agent who emphasised the obvious allure of Premier League football and higher wages on a bigger stage. The money involved was opportune for our club.

None of those factors apply to Josh moving to Middlesboro. Not one, except a bigger wage.

We should no longer need a financial input at the expense of the squad.

Such a sale, even at twice the offer, would seem unnecessary at this moment in time. An unacceptable statement.

I would fall out with the club if it happens and Smith and Co. would be first in line for my disaffection.

It would take a remarkable start to the season to win me back. I might even cancel my ticket for the Cottage, but not my annual visit to Madame Jo Jo''s and I hasten to add.