Sign in to follow this  
Bill

J Murphy to be sold .....

Perhaps some will now begin to see the light. There will be little effort to push on this season.As a statement of intent, this to me reads as "Prepare yourselves for a long stint in this league."

Dont worry we still have Matt Jarvis to replace him we might only see him for 2 games this season but he is still here !! ;-)

I don''t particularly agree with that Ricardo - we are not over reliant on Murphy, there''s goals in our side with or without him in the side and c£12m invested well could see our defence up to scratch.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I don''t particularly agree with that Ricardo - we are not over reliant on Murphy, there''s goals in our side with or without him in the side and c£12m invested well could see our defence up to scratch.[/quote]

Its a sign of where we are Branston. Youth scheme develops a top player and he''s out of the door before hardly making a contribution, other than to the bottom line. We have always been a selling club, right through from Monty Norman, Hugh Curran, Ron Davies, Kevin Reeves, Fashanu and Sutton and many many more and I doubt that we ever got a realistic asking price either.Its the sort of thing that has caused many to question their continued attendance at CR over the years. I guess mugs like me are just gluttons for punishment.[:(]

Branston if we spend wisely be great but where are these new defenders going to play ?

at CB We Have Klose ( at moment ) R Martin has just been given a new contract Zimmerman as back up could do with another CB

Pinto RB at the moment injured but pinto i expect first choice when he returns

at LB new signing husband and Toff

so as we are trying to lower the wage bill i doubt Klose Martin will be just cover more likely 1st choice

Pinto again will be 1st choice with i expect husband why would he sign if not around 1st team

so that leaves 1 x cover for CB / RB / LB

i would expect that will not be to much to sign players that will mostly back up

We need defenders but i can not see us buying 2 x new 1st choice CB''s and dumping Klose and Martin on bench

Well we have one player in an area we are well covered who is not guaranteed a starting place this season whereas we are short of players in the backline. Surely a no brainer - bank the £10M and get in quality defenders. You only have to look at our record in that area over the last 2 seasons to see that is where we need players without delay.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]I don''t particularly agree with that Ricardo - we are not over reliant on Murphy, there''s goals in our side with or without him in the side and c£12m invested well could see our defence up to scratch.[/quote]Its a sign of where we are Branston. Youth scheme develops a top player and he''s out of the door before hardly making a contribution, other than to the bottom line. We have always been a selling club, right through from Monty Norman, Hugh Curran, Ron Davies, Kevin Reeves, Fashanu and Sutton and many many more and I doubt that we ever got a realistic asking price either.Its the sort of thing that has caused many to question their continued attendance at CR over the years. I guess mugs like me are just gluttons for punishment.[:(][/quote]

Sounds a bit depressing, but we have never been a big club in the sense that the bigger cities'' clubs are - and if people have considered stopping going because we sell players, well, then they haven''t understood what the club is all about.  It''s Norfolk. It''s Norwich, it''s the fact that huge businesses don''t re-locate to Norwich so there are not the rich business owners to  invest in the club.  We are what we are - and we have to live within our means  - or sell out to someone who is likely non-Norwich affiliated, with all the problems that can cause.  It''s exciting times imo - still financially sound with a whole new approach with a German style ethos being ingrained and we can expect disciplined, fast paced and efficient football this season - and with players of quality. Jacob may or may not go, but there is plenty of squad if he does go - and the money will be very handy in getting in any players we may require.    

Financially sound? Really? Even though we have to sell? I''d hardly call selling all these players financially sound LDC!

[quote user="Jack Flash"]Well we have one player in an area we are well covered who is not guaranteed a starting place this season whereas we are short of players in the backline. Surely a no brainer - bank the £10M and get in quality defenders. You only have to look at our record in that area over the last 2 seasons to see that is where we need players without delay.[/quote]or tell him he can''t leave, he must stay hereit is ok for other players to step up to higher pay and a higher league and join usbut that does not apply to players who are here ..... or so it would seemif he goes, then good luck to the ladjust as I welcome Marley Watkins as he steps upthat is how the game works

Been glass half full up till this point, with reservations, which now seem to be coming to fruition.

We screwed up last season and now have a Hatchet man in to sort out the mess.

As fans we have all invested a lot of faith in the new regime but for me, if this sale goes through, it''s a disaster.

Very well put LDC and totally agree with you, 12m would be a good fee for a lad who hasn''t fully proved himself yet.

I reckon Webber could do good business with those funds.

We need another good CB as I think we might play 3 at the back a lot next year. Would be good for inexperienced LB''s and for when Pinto gets injured, believe he''s had 2/3 hamstring issues now.

Guys, this was always going to happen, Naismith & Jarvis going nowhere we had to cover the wages. Last year we looked at a shortfall of 8 million.

Now if we do sell Murphy for the 12 million mark, that''s about 18million in and with loans probably 3 million spent so far.

Hopefully we will see two or three decent youngsters from Europe, having seen the under 19 game that young Czech defender Karl looked decent.......that type of player would be great.

Who knows time will tell where we are, chin up Ricardo, but then I''ve not renewed my season ticket so I''m one of those you talked about.

If Murphy wants to go to Newcastle I think he must be mad. He got regular first team football with us last season and although was great, he was playing in the 2nd tier and is still very young. Personally I reckon if he went he would ruin his career as I can only see him being a bench warmer there, although I may be wrong

Thanks Mr Webber keep selling all our best players league 1 hear we come tin hat on

[quote user="HazzaJet"]If Murphy wants to go to Newcastle I think he must be mad. He got regular first team football with us last season and although was great, he was playing in the 2nd tier and is still very young. Personally I reckon if he went he would ruin his career as I can only see him being a bench warmer there, although I may be wrong[/quote]

I agree, i really doubt his performances will be consistent enough for the premier league right at this moment. He would be far better to stay another season and prove himself by upping the number of games he''s one of the star performers.

I always thought it would be unlikely that both Murphy would be in the team at the same time.

Good luck to Jacob, now let''s help Josh continue to develop this year. He too is a cracking little player, and will get better with our backing.

At present, I think this could be a good deal for us, and Farke isn''t going to miss him as he hasn''t played him.

[quote user="Indy"] Who knows time will tell where we are, chin up Ricardo, but then I''ve not renewed my season ticket so I''m one of those you talked about.[/quote]

There have been key moments over the years when the clubs actions have signaled a new reality and I think we are witnessing one now. It always results in a number of longtime supporters giving up the ghost, as it appears that you are doing right now. We have had almost a decade of eventfull seasons and by my reckoning are now due for an extended period in the doldrums. Many of the recent converts won''t be used to the long haul of mediocre seasons and will slowly ebb away in dribs and drabs. People who think the gate will never go below 20k again need to look at history or failing that a glance down the A140 will show what could be in store.I hate to be negative but I''ve been here too many times before to let it go without comment.

Ricardo, I''ve been a season ticket holder for a very long time and before that a member with easy access to match tickets, been going as much as I can since 1977.

But football for me has changed to the point I''m bored with it. This club is my focus and has been like many others, I''ve spent thousands fiollowing it, watched some close fellow supporters pass away and my love go.

The current owners aren''t as bad a some but they have certainly become stubborn in their own way which might lead to dwindling crowds, diminishing football and being left behind, but their intentions are honest and it''s their club to run as they see fit.

This new structure is the right one but at least a year too late, the funds aren''t there as they were and as you can see the budgets are dictating the quality we are buying from, it''s all lower league players who might just be hungry enough to succeed.

I''m hopeful it might be a half decent season, I have more faith in Farke than I ever had in Neil, but funds are tight and we''re up against some big spending clubs in this division.

Keep the faith Ricardo, looking forward to your reports more than ever as I won''t be there every week.......

Cmon Ricardo, so we are a selling club, but get real, all 92 league clubs are selling clubs, its part of the natural cycle of things. I admire City for both the absolute necessity for cutting our cloth and completely going for a what is a total new set up in City''s history. Doing this at the same time, having to clear out so many players, and get in quite a lot of new guys, is no mean feat, it had to be done.Im not overly concerned what division we will be in next 2 or 3 seasons, if we are trying to play attractive football, thats the main thing. I would fight tooth and nail to keep what we have at our club, a local ownership, a local  loyal fanbase, a club that despite  seasons of yo-yoing which meant the financial situation living on a big dipper, we are as sound as we could possibly be.Fancy some  richbags to take over the club so we can compete with Prem. and even many Chamionship clubs in spending big money to buy big players?..in reality what does it get you right now, and even more so in the future?...answer is nothing. There is a big increase in clubs with wealthy owners, just look at  the West Midlands...Wolves, Villa, Birmingham etc..all Chinese owned...problem is...how many of todays wealthy owned clubs will succeed in doing much more than theyve done the last few seasons?..answer is very few. Top 6 in the Prem rarely change much, the rest of the Prem is ever changing, clubs go up but then go down. Have clubs with more money than us like Hull , QPR etc, had any better progress than us?..no.There are so many so called wealthy clubs now, just to many to fill the few successful positions, way things are headed will be more clubs with unsuccessful foreign owners, like the Venkys at Blackburn, or at Leeds and Cardiff, and with disgruntled fans at those clubs. Football could so easily crash badly in the near future, im happy our club is realistic and pragmatc, it could well save our bacon while others have massive problems.

Thanks Indy and SJS. Really good posts. I had a little wobble myself today and that just made me feel 10x better! 🍻

[quote user="Indy"]Ricardo, I''ve been a season ticket holder for a very long time and before that a member with easy access to match tickets, been going as much as I can since 1977.

But football for me has changed to the point I''m bored with it. This club is my focus and has been like many others, I''ve spent thousands fiollowing it, watched some close fellow supporters pass away and my love go.

The current owners aren''t as bad a some but they have certainly become stubborn in their own way which might lead to dwindling crowds, diminishing football and being left behind, but their intentions are honest and it''s their club to run as they see fit.

This new structure is the right one but at least a year too late, the funds aren''t there as they were and as you can see the budgets are dictating the quality we are buying from, it''s all lower league players who might just be hungry enough to succeed.

I''m hopeful it might be a half decent season, I have more faith in Farke than I ever had in Neil, but funds are tight and we''re up against some big spending clubs in this division.

Keep the faith Ricardo, looking forward to your reports more than ever as I won''t be there every week.......[/quote][Y]

Lets get real about this. He is 22 and has one good season behind him. I think other players have developed quicker than him. He has the potential to get better but many have faltered at this point. I had hoped to see him develop more here but if he has had his head turned and we are offered £10m plus let him go. I don''t blame him but he may not be a regular at Newcastle to begin with.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Lets get real about this. He is 22 and has one good season behind him. I think other players have developed quicker than him. He has the potential to get better but many have faltered at this point. I had hoped to see him develop more here but if he has had his head turned and we are offered £10m plus let him go. I don''t blame him but he may not be a regular at Newcastle to begin with.[/quote]my thoughtsit could be that one almost successful season and a good U21 tournamount has raised his profile, so it could be that we sell him at his peak, so to speakhe won''t be the first youngster to offer promise and not make it afterwardsi don''t wish that on him, and if he does go then as far as we are concerned it''s time to move onas far as I am concerned any success is a bonus and we need to ''get knocked down'' so we can have the fun of getting back up again!-7 v Colchester to walking the League2-3 to Watford then automatic promotion back in the PL 2 points out of the first 12 - ended up comfortably 12thplayoffs v Boro... beaten 5-0 on aggregate before Wembleyso stop panicking, it''s a new season and we should be up for it... not whining and sulking

It''s not all one way.

Josh will have to prove himself at the top level for the first time; a big step considering he only just achieved consistent Championship status one season ago.

Newcastle might be loaded but it''s likely to be a big fee with big wages for a fairly unproven starlet taking a step that has seen many fall by the wayside.

Personally, I view the lucrative sales of Chris Sutton, Ruel Fox and Nathan Redmond in the fairly recent past as being bigger losses to our club, especially as all three were more proven and, imo, better players in any case.

I wouldn''t want to lose Jacob just yet but we do have Josh and £12m would surely soften the blow.

Nothing said at the forum tonight has convinced me Jacob wants to stay. Would''ve been easy to scotch the rumours, but Webber trotted out the usual line of ''if we sell anyone it''ll be on our terms''. Obviously refused to be drawn on exact figures and laughed off speculation.When directly asked if Jacob had handed in a transfer request, Webber said ''I don''t know. He''s not due back at the club until tomorrow after his England duty, and we look forward to welcoming him back." However, he was tweeting from the Lowestoft match on Saturday (so I''m told, don''t do Twitter), so I''m pretty sure that if he didn''t want to move he''d have been able to communicate that to the club. Logic suggests we are preparing to sell him - he saw what happened with Howson last week, so his agent will know how to force the move if it comes to it.

"I wouldn''t want to lose Jacob just yet but we do have Josh and £12m would surely soften the blow."could we do a switch ?would they know ?