Sign in to follow this  
wcorkcanary

Could Nelson be our Cantona?

Seeing     ''LDCs'' line up on another thread made me think........Could Nelson be our Cantona?Also  It was his outrageous, outside of the right foot  curling chip thing v charlton that  made me wonder.......He has the swarthy look, the swagger, the bite, but does he have the poetry?

I once commented that Grant Holt was a Pound Shop Dean Ashton - nearly as good but a fraction of the price.

Could a similar comment may be applicable here? ...

Well, Rudd hasn''t had a great time at Preston since AN arrived.   He played the first 13 minutes of the first warm up game and hasn''t appeared since, with three other goalkeepers all getting game time in the next four games.  

Well hed become a cult hero if he fly kicks a binner at poorman road. Not sure how easy thatd be tho....maybe just fly kick an empty seat

Regarding the secodary topic of this thread, Declan Rudd. He was injured in Preston''s first game, in which he started ahead of established keeper, Chris Maxwell (nothing to read into that, though. I think it was always a case that it would be between Rudd and Maxwell for the no.1 jersey. Same age and experience.) When Rudd went off injured, he was replaced by 17 y/o Callum Roberts for the remainder of the first half. Maxwell then replaced Roberts for the 2nd half. For the 4 subsequent games, only 2 keepers have been used. Maxwell having the majority of the time, with liam hudson, whose just turned 18, getting a couple of 20-30 minute cameos in the 2nd half. I think it''s pretty clear, LDC, had Rudd been fit, he would have been sharing pre-seaon time with Maxwell. It''s going to be interesting to see if Rudd can displace Maxwell. If Rudd, really isnt rated again by Neil, then we may just have the experienced international goalie that Neil could be looking for.

[quote user="peter-plastic"]Regarding the secodary topic of this thread, Declan Rudd. He was injured in Preston''s first game, in which he started ahead of established keeper, Chris Maxwell (nothing to read into that, though. I think it was always a case that it would be between Rudd and Maxwell for the no.1 jersey. Same age and experience.) When Rudd went off injured, he was replaced by 17 y/o Callum Roberts for the remainder of the first half. Maxwell then replaced Roberts for the 2nd half. For the 4 subsequent games, only 2 keepers have been used. Maxwell having the majority of the time, with liam hudson, whose just turned 18, getting a couple of 20-30 minute cameos in the 2nd half. I think it''s pretty clear, LDC, had Rudd been fit, he would have been sharing pre-seaon time with Maxwell. It''s going to be interesting to see if Rudd can displace Maxwell. If Rudd, really isnt rated again by Neil, then we may just have the experienced international goalie that Neil could be looking for.[/quote]

You don''t need to explain yourself to LDC mate he is just someone bored who comes on this forum and likes the colour yellow.

[quote user="peter-plastic"]Regarding the secodary topic of this thread, Declan Rudd. He was injured in Preston''s first game, in which he started ahead of established keeper, Chris Maxwell (nothing to read into that, though. I think it was always a case that it would be between Rudd and Maxwell for the no.1 jersey. Same age and experience.) When Rudd went off injured, he was replaced by 17 y/o Callum Roberts for the remainder of the first half. Maxwell then replaced Roberts for the 2nd half. For the 4 subsequent games, only 2 keepers have been used. Maxwell having the majority of the time, with liam hudson, whose just turned 18, getting a couple of 20-30 minute cameos in the 2nd half. I think it''s pretty clear, LDC, had Rudd been fit, he would have been sharing pre-seaon time with Maxwell. It''s going to be interesting to see if Rudd can displace Maxwell. If Rudd, really isnt rated again by Neil, then we may just have the experienced international goalie that Neil could be looking for.[/quote]

Thanks, PP, I looked for info to see if Rudd was injured, but only found reference to him having trained with the squad in recent weeks, so it wasn''t clear if he had been injured or dropped.  Really hopes he gets the first team short when fully fit. And simmo........ [}] 

Nelson''s ability has never been in question. It is why he has played for Portugal, why Benfica stuck with him for so long and why Swansea thought he might cut it in the Premier League.

The issue with Nelson though has been his application and attitude. Last season was the first time he scored double figures in one season, he has always blown hot and cold for teams and maintaining his form has been an issue. We saw that in snippets last season where he was dropped for Jerome (Nelson played half as many minutes as Jerome last season).

Hopefully he is starting to get his head straight, and I think the fact he isn''t out on loan anymore is helping - he had been on loan to 6 different clubs before last season.

There are still areas of his game that need improving - he didn''t get one assist last season and set-up very few chances for team mates. He also takes a huge amount of shots from outside of the box, largely off target or easy saves for the opposition - if he could be a little less wasteful on the ball and improve his shot locations then he''d be an absolute force in the Championship.

Love him has a player. He has everything but just hasn''t quite put it all together on a consistent basis yet. If he does he''ll be a comfortable mid table PL player. Can see Swansea coming back in for him if they lose Llorente which worries me, they''re not too dissimilar in playing style, although Llorente scores more tap ins and is a bit stronger.

Can see him hitting 20 goals this year, hopefully that''s enough to get us up and we''d have a job holding onto him after a good season. One of AN''s better buys for sure, I rate him as one of the best strikers in this league, with the type of money strikers are going for now the 5 mil we got him for looks an absolute steal

Mr Farke seems to be being credited with improved player individual performances so let''s hope he can help Nelson develop his game. There''s plenty to work with and if Farke holds respect and gives good counsel then who knows what could happen.