Sign in to follow this  
Tootingyellow

Atmosphere @ CR - Lessons from Germany

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="king canary"]I''d really question the idea you can see more of the action watching on TV. You can only see what the camera shows you so if you''re interested in the positioning of certain players, reactions to events, runs made off the ball etc you can see far more at the ground.[/quote]
Spot on Kingo. You only see what you''re shown. 
[/quote]

Depends on where you sit, sometimes I can''t tell who''s done what when plays at the river end, and have to wait to hear what''s happened, everyone around me is the same. So I think you can see more certainly from certain aspects. The only real reason is the atmosphere, I never have thought you can''t possibly tell what''s going on from just from watching on the telly,always comes across as a bit sneery when people say that.

On the telly I think you see more of less, if that makes sense. I mean that the key action you tend to see in better detail and with replays etc. but you lose the wider panoramic and sense of ebb and flow, of positioning, players out of position and not being seen making runs elsewhere, the reactions and little battles between players out of camera, the efforts being made to get back etc. Its that "wide angle" that I think makes it far better at the ground, (assuming you don''t have one of the restricted view seats!)

Re atmosphere I think the seating and tightness around STs is also a factor. In the "old days" you could stand centrally in the Barclay if you wanted the full on experience or to the side if you wanted to enjoy it but not be too intense or go into one of the other stands, like the River End where there was terrace but more peaceful. Now with allocated seats it is much harder to have "zones" in the same way and to get like minded folk congregated. Probably the major exception is the City Stand where the average age seems to be about 70! Of course the poor football has not helped, some games it has been about as immersive as going to the cinema......

Just a couple of points on to sing or not to sing.

1. I prefer/have to sit home or away. This does not preclude me singing but it appears from the abuse received away from home unless I stand up I am not supporting the team

2. I want to sing in support of my team, this does NOT include abusing opposition fans, team & denegrating the ground/number of fans etc. Sing about our team, songs for individual players etc &I think you may get more people singing especially away. Oh & not just OTBC every few minutes as most sing it wrong & miss out the last line

[quote user="Mickdundee"]I never have thought you can''t possibly tell what''s going on from just from watching on the telly, always comes across as a bit sneery when people say that.[/quote]Exactly Mick.I''ve been to a number of games where I''ve been seated behind one of the goals or in a less than favourable viewpoint, and if you combine this with the people around you standing and jostling, you can easily miss a goal going in, or a clear view of who scored it and what type of goal it was, or you can miss a bad tackle and wonder why a player is suddenly on the floor screaming. It happens at live games, maybe not frequently, and maybe not enough to detract from the overall game and atmosphere, but at times it can be enough to cause serious frustration.As per usual though, there''s the classic brigade that feel you either enjoy the game their way, or you''re somehow doing it wrong and have become a lesser fan in the process...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Mickdundee"]I never have thought you can''t possibly tell what''s going on from just from watching on the telly, always comes across as a bit sneery when people say that.[/quote]Exactly Mick.I''ve been to a number of games where I''ve been seated behind one of the goals or in a less than favourable viewpoint, and if you combine this with the people around you standing and jostling, you can easily miss a goal going in, or a clear view of who scored it and what type of goal it was, or you can miss a bad tackle and wonder why a player is suddenly on the floor screaming. It happens at live games, maybe not frequently, and maybe not enough to detract from the overall game and atmosphere, but at times it can be enough to cause serious frustration.As per usual though, there''s the classic brigade that feel you either enjoy the game their way, or you''re somehow doing it wrong and have become a lesser fan in the process...[/quote]
As Mick''s sneery comment was in reply to my post I''ll respond to this.
My comment of seeing what you''re shown is exactly that. Tumbleweed expands on it with his insightful comment that on tv you see more of less. But that also applies to views from the stadium seat wherever that maybe.
However much of the misunderstanding of peoples comments comes from the fact that fans attend games for a variety of reasons. But basically they are somewhere at or between the two extremes of only wanting to support the team in a tribal way to only wanting to be a spectator and watch a football match. The nearer you are to the spectator end the more you will enjoy the tv coverage. And in fact like it better because as you have said elsewhere there''s none of the other supporters stuff going on to interfere with your spectator enjoyment. From the other extreme many people go to games for tribal reasons and don''t even watch streams if they''re not there.
It''s not about being better.

Good post NN.
Also VW, I appreciate the ''Grefset'' is a pretty unique viewing experience, going by reviews from the only person to have ever watched football on it.... [:D]

If you polled City supporters on whether they would prefer a better atmosphere at the ground i bet around 95% would reply "Yes". Yet only about 5% of the ground regularly and consistently make the effort. It looks very much like an example of "entitlement culture" in which people desire something but don`t expect to have to make any effort to get it. If you want a better atmosphere, make some noise yourself rather than expecting it to be something other people lay on for you.

This article from Sam is well written, replies to some of the people on twitter who were suggesting people who don''t sing should perhaps move out of the central Barclay bit to make room for more vocal people. Few silly people suggested people who didn''t sing were less passionate and it did get rather heated with arguments on both sides

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2017/07/27/true-strength-whether-referring-to-football-fans-or-a-squad-of-norwich-players-comes-from-diversity/

Diane, the article seems to equate crowd size with atmosphere which is totally wrong. The times he quotes in the past when CR crowds were regularly 16k we actually did have a reputation as quite a loud,intimidating place despite the dire football. Opposition managers and players regularly used to mention it- even a certain N.Warnock who generally had nothing good to say about us!

Also his "Winning games makes for a great atmosphere" quote basically shows exactly the problem we`ve got. What about when we`re not winning? "You only sing when you`re winning" is sung as an insult for a reason..... If you only want to be a "supportive" supporter when we`re winning then you`ve lost the right to claim that label in my book.

I don''t think you can generalise about these things because each club is different. Our atmosphere was quite poor last season. Especially compared to Mr Carrow''s 16,000 observation. However it''s not a case of "sing when you''re winning" or even "when you''re playing well". Because we were doing both. In fact without looking it up I should think we scored more goals thsn practically any season I can remember. However we''ve had 4 recent PL seasons. And it seems now that a lot of ST holders don''t want to be there for that many championship games. Selling out season tickets in this case can be bad for atmosphere.

As an old fogey who does not make as much noise as I used to in the 50''s and 60''s sure if we had the right kind of catchy music then everyone would join in.

OTBC is so dull and uninspiring

PS See what tomorrow brings as I decided to sit close to our new Manager rather than my Season Ticket in the South/Jarrold/Galway Roast / South Stand

Get the Monkees singing Daydream Believer to raise the atsmophere

[quote user="daly"]As an old fogey who does not make as much noise as I used to in the 50''s and 60''s sure if we had the right kind of catchy music then everyone would join in.

OTBC is so dull and uninspiring

PS See what tomorrow brings as I decided to sit close to our new Manager rather than my Season Ticket in the South/Jarrold/Galway Roast / South Stand

Get the Monkees singing Daydream Believer to raise the atsmophere[/quote]If you think OTBC is uninspiring, then I''m sorry for you. It is the oldest, single most important of historical football songs ever and every Norwich fan ought to be proud of it and proud to sing it.  It cuts to the very heart of what the club is about.   Dull and uninspiring??  Really?  As for Daydream Believer, frankly, I find it a bit...err....lightweight  (can''t put what I really want to put, as it would be considered non-pc).

Daly - I''ve been saying about using songs like ''''Daydream believer '''' to get the crowd going for ages, it works at other clubs, it would work here.

Good football and winning games on a consistent basis will soon raise the noise levels and improve the overall atmosphere.

Over to you Mr Farke and the team.

O T B C .