Sign in to follow this  
Blurboy1980

Newcastle want Josh Murphy possibly

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/jacob-josh-murphy-newcastle-transfer-10867768

http://www.squawka.com/news/newcastlewant-to-sign-jacob-murphys-twin-brother/974414#6m35x1O1TWFHg0rP.97

Could be all rubbish but I''m sure they both want to play together again and from a Newcastle supporting family.

Be interesting what the reaction from people would be if a 12.5 million pound bid came in for Josh.

When the same happened for Jacob, everyone went weak at the knees and all a sudden it changed from ''he''s going nowhere'' to being ''a bid that was too good to be turned down for someone with one season in the championship under his belt''. And this despite the players massive potential value to us this season and in following seasons too. Something tells me that the same bid for Josh would not be viewed in the same way.

(and no - the argument that selling one left us with the other as a direct replacement doesn''t cut it. For starters, they favour opposite wings.)

But what if Josh wants to move, then you would have to sell if his head has been turned wouldn''t you? That was another line of argument with Jacob. Can''t play hardball for the good of the club and try to convince a player to stay - not when there is that much money on the table. Again, I think people might want to put up more of a fight this time around.

Besides, 12.5m is not going to plug much of a gap for long in modern day football. If Jacob had helped us go up then the windfall of £100+ would have.

It certainly would be a genius way of Newcastle getting both twins for just £20m upfront. Buy one with a little show of cash, then unsettle the other by offering him the chance to join his brother again. What a bargain that would be.

Although I seriously doubt this will happen I think this hypothetical situation shows up some of the strange thinking that went on over the Jacob Murphy transfer.

Jacobs transfer situation concerned me because, as a club we cannot afford to repeatedly follow this example and sell our best young players at the first sign of decent money - not when we need our best young players to get promoted. And promotion is where the serious money is to be found that would really benefit the club. So that is where our focus should be while we still have a real shot at it. Would Jacob Murphy staying have increased our chances of getting promoted - yes. Enough to find another way to plug a 5 million pound gap in the finances - I would have thought so. For the sake of the progress of the club we have to fight harder to keep our best young players in the future.

if they are interested he will go i imagine his brother has told him what wages & signing on fee he is on

we can not compete with PL wages

Another £12m will be just as impossible to turn down for a player not even certain to start for us.

Can only wait and see what happens before the end of August

Like his brother he will be absolutely quality, he isn''t there yet though and won''t be for another couple of seasons or so, he won''t get us promoted on his own so if another 8 figure bid came in for him we''d be stupid to turn it down. I always assumed they were from the area and we''re norwich fans so we''d be able to keep them for a while despite our current position, that''s not the case though and this will most likely be Josh''s last season with us unless we get promoted.

If Newcastle/Benitez had any sense, which I believe they have, they will wait to see how Jacob manages the step-up to the Premier League level before increasing their interest in his twin.

It is not a written, imo, that he will pull up any trees and certainly not straight away.

They would also be sensible to monitor Josh''s form and progress with us before committing another sizeable amount in the transfer market as well.

If both continue with their progress curve, if both do well then the next window might be the time to be concerned about us retaining the player.

Our own chances will be clearer by then, along with Murphy''s future prospects. If we are in a strong position our resolve will be increased ... along with our price tag.

Lot''s of "ifs" and "buts" at the moment.

I think the club knows that selling Josh this window would destroy a great deal of the goodwill in the new regime. I think Josh will have an excellent first half to the season, and with the transfer market as inflated it is at the moment, coupled with the desperation of teams to stay in the top flight, January fees could be obscene. Hang on until January and we could be looking at £15m+ if Josh is ripping up trees in the Championship.

[quote user="Mr Angry"]I wonder what Highland thinks about this? 😉[/quote]I would imagine he doesn''t consider it possible that such information could be fabricated.

Josh hasn''t really proven any of his potential yet like jacob had. while I''m confident he would be class for us if he was given a go, we''d be daft to turn down the same money for him provided we had 3 or 4 targets in mind we could use the money with. Problem is, the squad is quite full already and when you see the likes of Ashley Fletcher moving for £7m there isn''t all that much about.

One thing this cashing in now will do is enable us to keep the likes of pritchard another year and also remain competitive in the transfer market another couple of seasons before we have to resort to the Ipswich/roeder era method of beg/steal/borrow.

The article does say Newcastle plan to monitor him with a view to potentially signing him in 2018, so if there is any accuracy at all in this piece we would be talking January window at the earliest. I guess NCFC''s position then (as well as Josh''s) will depend on various things that happen between now and then.