Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Do we need some more bodies in?

Having to name two sub keepers for our final pre season game suggests we desperately need some cover in!

Pinto hoolahan Murphy will soon be back as will naismith after suspension. Klose in Sept. Pritchard October. ....there is 2x2 weeks of international breaks between now and then a month without games whilst they recover

I don''t think we''ll look too bad for numbers in the coming weeks but I do wonder whether we''ll see any of Jacob Murphy money

I think we''re a defensive midfielder light, unless Farke thinks Godfrey can play there if Reed/Tettey are unavailable for any reason. Another young loan from the PL would be fine for a year while Godfrey develops more or (if) Thompson comes back.

Hard to say. I think the weakest positions or positions that might need strengthening are right wingback cover for Pinto, centre back cover, centre midfield and striker.

Gunn, Pinto, Husband, Zimmerman, Franke, Martin, Klose, Reed, Tettey, Maddison, Vrancic, Hoolahan, Pritchard, Naismith, Murphy, Watkins, Wildschut, Jerome and Oliveria totals 19. Throw in whichever of McGovern/Jones/Matthews is the backup keeper and Toffolo/Lewis for back up left back and that''s a squad of 21. Godfrey would make 22.

Webber''s already said we wouldn''t be running a squad of 25 experienced professionals any more, and that it would be more like 18 experienced players.

With three centre backs popular, another needs to come in,but that looks to be filled by Clarke-Salter.

So it depends if Farke and Webber think Martin/Godfrey/Wildschut is good enough to back up Pinto, and whether two from Vrancic/Naismith/Maddison/Hoolahan/Pritchard is good enough for the Championship or we need another reinforcement.

Paper thin in defence. No back up atm. A centre back and and right back preferably.

I agree that midfield is well stocked, it''s just we have Pritch and Wes out. Naismith suspended for three games. I''d still have another central midfield option perhaps in case Reed is out. Tettey can do a job for a couple of games but I''ve not got much faith for a long run in the side.

Marley and Josh as support forwards to Nelson / Jerome. Too many options can be detrimental to team spirit. I think we found that last season with the number of players that didn''t get a look in.

Norwich should never have got into the habit of ''buying bodies''.

Unlikely eventualities should be covered by the Academy / U23 and can then be viewed as an exciting opportunity for a young player. This is what he - not mythical - pathway to the first team.

Financially running two senior players for each position is and was nonsenses. We had the money to do it for a few seasons, but it was wasteful and unhelpful for a number of reasons.

Lean, tight squads with flexible players - either made that way or coached into positional flexibility - all get 20 odd games a season and feel integral. No obvious 1st xi needs to exist. No player should want to identify themselves as ''back up to''. Such easy money paychecks without responsibility is a mental recipe for disaster at a club like Norwich.

We must provide an exciting, viable platform for excellent young talent to play and breakthrough to the top level - with or without us. This means games in the first team and trust from the stands.

Old sweats drawing a pension as back up has no role to play in this vision.

Parma

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]...... We must provide an exciting, viable platform for excellent young talent to play and breakthrough to the top level - with or without us. This means games in the first team and trust from the stands.

Old sweats drawing a pension as back up have no role to play in this vision.

Parma[/quote]
I agree wholeheartedly. The stands are far too full of old sweats drawing pensions. The only players they trust are a couple of Forbes-like CBs, Bill Punton & Gerry Mannion clones running the touchlines, and Grant Holt in the opposition box. [;)] [:D]

I think we might see one or maybe two come in before the deadline but with at least one more leaving.

[quote user="Van wink"]Who else will go?[/quote]I did say might go Winky but as you ask i am not convinced that Klose will stay and because he obviously does not fit into Farke''s plans surely Andreu will at long last leave. Can only hope Jarvis will leave but as he was spotted yesterday by Lessingham still on crutches highly unlikely unfortunately.

Hope you''re wrong about Klose, his style of play will fit nicely with the new regime.

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]Norwich should never have got into the habit of ''buying bodies''.

Unlikely eventualities should be covered by the Academy / U23 and can then be viewed as an exciting opportunity for a young player. This is what he - not mythical - pathway to the first team.

Financially running two senior players for each position is and was nonsenses. We had the money to do it for a few seasons, but it was wasteful and unhelpful for a number of reasons.

Lean, tight squads with flexible players - either made that way or coached into positional flexibility - all get 20 odd games a season and feel integral. No obvious 1st xi needs to exist. No player should want to identify themselves as ''back up to''. Such easy money paychecks without responsibility is a mental recipe for disaster at a club like Norwich.

We must provide an exciting, viable platform for excellent young talent to play and breakthrough to the top level - with or without us. This means games in the first team and trust from the stands.

Old sweats drawing a pension as back up has no role to play in this vision.

Parma[/quote]Absolutely this. One would hope the style and philosophy of football will be replicated in the U23 squad, and there is no shortage of talent - Lewis, Efete, Cantwell, Adams, Middleton, Fonkeu and Phillips to name just a few. Shame we couldn''t hang on to Benny Ashley-Seal, though.

Agree 100% with Parma. And seeing that we seem to be running the U23 squad alongside the senior squad it means you can get the optimal conditions for a strong transference of philosophy. Still feel another striker would be useful given that strikers tend to get injured more often.

No, i think we are just about set up for the new season. We may sign one of the two young forwards mentioned in the last week or so Fonkeu or Abrahams (has Fonkeu officially signed a contract with City?), but apart from that its almost spot on from what i posted a few weeks back, based on what Webber was suggesting early in the season, that 10-12 would likely be leaving and the squad may be trimmed a bit. I think its about 11 out and 8 in? Close to that anyway.In truth there perhaps is a case to be made for a GK to leave, seems to me Gunn, Matthews, and one from the other two is more than enough. I suspect, if he cannot be shipped out, Andreu will stay in his role of Father of the U23s, and Matt Jarvis will be Matt Jarvis.Already we have a mid winter type situation with around 4 or 5 guys injured / suspended, yet in pre season we seem to have adapted to that well, so all in all im very content with how pre season and the transfer market has gone for us, id be quite happy if was no more ins or outs from now until end August, but on that, well...still another month for us to put up the "not for sale" sign on our best guys. Here''s hoping.

I think we''re almost certainly in for an extra centre back having had strong links to Bielik and Clarke-Salter. I guess their parent clubs are deciding on squads throughout their respective pre seasons.

depends how much we trust the younger lads.

Keepers we are fine with, Gunn and 2 experienced heads

right back - Pinto, Martin - I guess Martin is back up there

centre back - Klose, Franke, Zimmerman, Clarke Salter, Martin. if we play 2 at CB we are fine here, if not, maybe one more would be good.

left back - husband lewis and toffolo seems alright.

DM - tettey and Reid. depends if we want a more powerful option

CM - vrancic, phillips and maddison (sort of) - maybe asking a lot of maddison to play deep but might be his way in once pritch and Wes are back. might be good to have one more dm/CM like Behrens (tho he''s renewed his contract so not him). Perhaps Phillips will be used as this

lw/rw - murphy, naismith, Watkins, wildschut seems good enough to go with. they would all walk in most sides at this level

am - wes, pritchard, maddison - same as wingers

up front - Oliveira, Jerome, Fonkeu, Abrahams - I''d be fine with this.

Tetley wrote

????? Keepers are fine with Gunn and 2 experienced keepers

Gunn and Matthews experienced