Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Ok so far

Having watched norwich yesterday I came away thinking yes not great but heading in right direction. Brighton were set up as very defensive which is what they will have to do to get fourth from bottom.It worked for them most of the game only going forward occasionally. Our goal came from a mistake from their right back allowing a free shot.we looked ok going forward as Brighton let us have the ball.This won''t happen as much in the champs,so overall improvement needs to be made,but the team did ok without being good

Have to say, considering the overhaul we have had, new head coach and 7 new players starting at CR for the first time yesterday, we are further on than we could expect at this stage, personally happily optimistic about the trip to Craven Cottage next week, would also add we are only going to improve week after week with some big players due to return.....OTBC

I thought the areas for greatest improvement were - Working on different ways of playing out from the back (obviously we''re not going to be proficient at it yet!) - defenders looked a little hesitant in playing it into the central midfielders at times and the opportunity to ''get out'' passed by. (midfielders have to really work hard to give good options and make angles though! - it''s tough!) I also don''t think we used the wing backs enough to get out either. It was too slow in getting across to them - and the space they were often in had disappeared, so it had to go back again the other way. If our centre backs could get their switching of play up to scratch it might help. Toby Aldewiereld is a master of it at spurs.

Also I thought we could have used the wing backs more effectively in an attacking sense, providing width in the final third. This would also provide more numbers in the final third, and I thought the numbers into that area as well as the movement in it could have been better as well. When we did get out from the back we were fairly slick in midfield, but often the impetus of the attack waned when we got nearer the box.

These tactics definitely seem to have the emphasis on the ''team'', everyone needs to do there job, and do it to a good standard for it to function well. If we can become a well oiled machine, and I think we have just enough quality to pull it off, then it could be good come the end of the season.

[quote user="mr footy"]Having watched norwich yesterday I came away thinking yes not great but heading in right direction. Brighton were set up as very defensive which is what they will have to do to get fourth from bottom.It worked for them most of the game only going forward occasionally. Our goal came from a mistake from their right back allowing a free shot.we looked ok going forward as Brighton let us have the ball.This won''t happen as much in the champs,so overall improvement needs to be made,but the team did ok without being good[/quote]There''s more to it than that.Both Jerome and Watkins were unmarked, Watkins running about 20 yards, allowed to control the ball and then shoot without the defender attempting to close him downThe Brighton was pratting about and deservedly got caught, although the ball fell kindly for Watkins. For Brighton they won''t be able to take time on the ball or keep with Hughtons ''dance in front of the opposition when they have ball'' tactic which was a regular feature of his time here.For City, players are actually staying out of the box so as to give them space to shoot. Watch the shot beforehand. It will be a case of a shrp pass then shoot rather than lobbing the ball hopefully into the box. A fair number of the opposition will be caught out in this - the first game, that is.