Sign in to follow this  
Hucks6

Maddison

What a big player he is going to be for norwich,Brighton seem to man mark him didn''t do a very good job he was lucky he didn''t get injured.Mario Vrancic also seem to run the midfield, another player who is going to be a fans favourite he never gives up.Marley Watkins another one who gives his all,These 3 players are going places with city

Good to hear[Y]What''s your early thoughts on our new defensive players?

Maddison''s performance was highlighted by the number of times he was fouled. Controlled the mid field nicely. Always showing available for the ball, exactly what we need for our style of play.

Madison and Reed superb today, how are going to get those two plus Pritchard, Wes and Naismith in the same team ?

[quote user="CANARYKING"]Madison and Reed superb today, how are going to get those two plus Pritchard, Wes and Naismith in the same team ?[/quote]

Squad rotation, I should imagine. I should think the emphasis this season will be more on inclusiveness for everyone, with everyone contributing and no-one left feeling out of things.   No more first eleven this season, imo it will be a squad game, with changes every week.

Madison, Reed, Vrancic and Wildschut were excellent, as already said, Farke is going to be spoilt for choice when all fit, Marley has a great engine and covered some ground, defence looks much better, just one lapse cost us a goal, and with Nelson  he always looks like he is going to score, a lot to be optimistic about going into the weeks ahead..

I haven''t seen it again, but didn''t Maddison win the ball leading to our goal, as well?

@TiredI haven''t seen it again, but didn''t Maddison win the ball leading to our goal, as well?Yes he did, out on the wing, good work from Jerome as well to set up Watkins for a fantastic strike.

Herman wrote the following post at 2017-07-29 10:57 PM:

Good to hearYes [Y]

What''s your early thoughts on our new defensive players?

In answer H personally I was pleasantly surprised. I thought both centre backs were very sound, as were the full backs. On another thread someone stated they didn''t think Zimmerman would make a regular start. I would beg to differ. The fact Murray for Brighton didn''t get a look in and he was prolific for them last season spoke volumes. As the season progresses I see this partnership getting better and better. And they look the part, big strong, tall defenders, not afraid to take possession and play it around. No lumping it upfield.......very promising after last season!

I thought maddison was excellent today and showed great potential again. He is so comfortable on the ball. Looked good in a deeper position too - I think it could improve his game as his decision making will have to be spot on as he can take less chances there. However he wasn''t risk averse and still retained his creative and confident style of play.

I think him and pritchard could play in the same team against certain opposition if he carries on playing like that, with pritchard playing higher up off a single striker and maddison linking play from slightly deeper.

[quote user="peateabee"]I thought maddison was excellent today and showed great potential again. He is so comfortable on the ball. Looked good in a deeper position too - I think it could improve his game as his decision making will have to be spot on as he can take less chances there. However he wasn''t risk averse and still retained his creative and confident style of play.

I think him and pritchard could play in the same team against certain opposition if he carries on playing like that, with pritchard playing higher up off a single striker and maddison linking play from slightly deeper.[/quote]At whatever it was we paid he was a steal. He talked about getting kicked etc in an interview, but shrugged it off as part of the game. Something he will have had plenty of occasions to do today.Can''t fault AN or whoever was responsible for his signing. He joins a number of other quality signings in young players. Godfrey, Efete, Adams, Thompson - as well as our own coming through Murphy, Toffolo, Mathews. Morris. With a number of other promisng youngster perhaps a season or two away from the first team.

The bloke sitting next to me turned round at half time and said "I hope that young lad doesn''t play that well when the season starts, or he''ll be off to a premiership club in January".

Sad, but very possibly true.

[quote user="Sooty57"]The bloke sitting next to me turned round at half time and said "I hope that young lad doesn''t play that well when the season starts, or he''ll be off to a premiership club in January".

Sad, but very possibly true.[/quote]I don''t think the poor fellow had really thought that through

Whenever i have watched Maddison he has that youthful assured cockiness and arrogance in his play that i last saw in a young Bellamy which is no bad thing at all.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Whenever i have watched Maddison he has that youthful assured cockiness and arrogance in his play that i last saw in a young Bellamy which is no bad thing at all. [/quote]

He is very similar to Bellamy in pace and ability. A bit surprised to see him playing so deep today

LDC- you suggest squad rotation and no first eleven, but don''t you think that was one of AN''s biggest faults? The constant tinkering meant there was little continuity or fluidity with players in, then out, or even dropped from the squad. Personally I am hoping for a more stable first team with acknowledged back ups rather than a squad of equals.

[quote user="City 2nd"] ......... On another thread someone stated they didn''t think Zimmerman would make a regular start. I would beg to differ. The fact Murray for Brighton didn''t get a look in and he was prolific for them last season spoke volumes. As the season progresses I see this partnership getting better and better. And they look the part, big strong, tall defenders, not afraid to take possession and play it around. No lumping it upfield.......very promising after last season![/quote]
It was actually Farke who said when Zimmermann signed that he didn''t view Zimmermann as ready to be a regular starter. The indications are still that the first choice pairing will be Franke and Klose?

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]LDC- you suggest squad rotation and no first eleven, but don''t you think that was one of AN''s biggest faults? The constant tinkering meant there was little continuity or fluidity with players in, then out, or even dropped from the squad. Personally I am hoping for a more stable first team with acknowledged back ups rather than a squad of equals.[/quote]

I think there is a difference between tinkering and rotation.   If players know they are going to be rotated, they also know they are not going to be out of the team for very long - AN seemed to shut some players out altogether.  The Dortmund way is inclusiveness - and to rotate the squad.  Tuchel does it, as do ex- Dortmund mangers Klopp and Wagner who have carried on with that policy at their clubs, so I thnk it is almost certain Farke will do the same. One of the hardest games we had last season was against Huddersfield at CR where midweek we tried to play with almost the same eleven as the Saturday and Huddersfield under Wagner made five changes - and they all but overan us.  I think we will have to get used to seeing chnages every game.  Proper squad rotation as a policy works - while players don''t like being left out, they also know they will be back in before long - they know it keeps them fresh and it keeps every member of the squad mentally ready to perform when picked.

I agree with LDC s philosophy.

This is now a small squad by our recent standards and our strength will come if we can keep a tight nit group of players with everyone feeling they have an important part to play.

Squad rotation, keeping everyone feeling involved with a common purpose, avoiding disruptive splits in the dressing room will be key.

[quote user="tired"]I haven''t seen it again, but didn''t Maddison win the ball leading to our goal, as well?[/quote]

[quote user="tired"]I haven''t seen it again, but didn''t Maddison win the ball leading to our goal, as well?[/quote]

i think players like Maddison should keep their place in the team if they hold their form / fitness

we should always pick the best 11 on form not on value or Names or even for rotation

if Maddison and Reed are running the midfield the others will have to wait for either fitness or form to drop same for any other player / position

I fear the issue we may have with Maddison is injuries, if the ''treatment'' he got from BHA in what what an innocuous friendly is anything to go by. There are too many t**ts like Muscat in the Champs for him to get away with it. I hope he ''repairs'' quickly and the refs actually give him some protection (unlike the buffoon officiating yesterday).