Sign in to follow this  
Diane

Norwich City v Brighton - Match Thread

Gunn''s barely been tested all pre season has he? Same with McGovern, we''ve certainly cut down on the amount of chances we''re giving away, oddly the last two goals conceded have come from Zimmermann being out jumped, nothing our tactics are responsible for, very promising so far. I can see why Farke''s Dortmund team conceded so few goals

I can''t see why.The change is not only in the personel but the attitude.Winning is no longer an option but a neccesity of being a City player.

Pretty promising since its basically a brand new team largely of players who gave never played together and with several of our better ones not even featuring. Next week the proof though, Fulham outclassed us (both football and timewasting wise) at home just a few short months ago.

Not us. As you say we are ''basically a brand new team''.A tream with a far more positive attitude. More like the team of 09/10.

[quote user="Captain Birdseye"]I feel dirty saying this but after watching that performance I feel mildly optimistic[/quote]Take heart Cap''n. I''m sure this feeling dirty and mildly optimistic is only a hiatus and, if the last hiatus is anything to go by, will not last very long. You''ll soon be back to normal.

Really looking forward to the season proper now. Even beginning to feel a little confidence over a trip to Fulham....

Surely as good a test for us as we could have had. Could have been  rabbits in the headlights job, playing against a wel organised PL team, but sounds like we were well up to the task. Bring it on.

Brighton on todays showing will find life in TP difficult to say the least.

Team of Championship players at best.

Gunn not really tested but like all keepers we have had for the past few seasons does not come for balls in the box

We''ll see, would have loved us to sign an experienced keeper

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Really looking forward to the season proper now. Even beginning to feel a little confidence over a trip to Fulham....[/quote]Confidence over a trip to Fulham? Have you thought of changing your user name to "even nuttier nigel"? [;)]

When I saw the teamsheet I was shocked how many players I was watching for the first time, but hey, that''s progress. The new playing style was very evident, I''m still not convinced with us playing it out from the back- it may well not be the players, but more the subconscious feeling of impending doom that has been ingrained in the fans for the past few seasons! We had a few ''get it forward'' shouts in the South Stand, so maybe not all have read the edict for us to show patience.

Maddison had a super game-what a player he could turn out to be. I''m sure DF only took him off to check if there was any part of him that hadn''t been kicked. At least 3 of the fouls on him would normally be bookings- there was also a sly off-the-ball kick that the ref missed. Wildschutt impressed too, BHA players seemed to be steamrollered out of the way when he got moving. Vrancic looked good, breaking up Brighton''s midfield. It''s all pre-season optimism I know, but if we can get the missing core players fit and up for it, we might just be somewhere ''in the mix''.

Last time we played that well pre season Gunny was in charge.....oh!

Maddison excellent performance and my MOM, not sure if they awarded one.

Very fluid structure, seemed to be overloading right side of field when going forward. Brighton seemed a bit out thought.

Also expect a few training ground moves to appear at set piece this season.

Sat in the Jarrold for a treat before retiring to my usual seat, lovely to hear the moaning " get it forward" when playing nice possession football.

I think we looked comfortable with this style of play.

Really enjoyed the game today, impressed particularly with Reed, Watkins, Mario and Maddison.

Plenty of possession especially first half, ball was on deck most of time, 2 young cb''s looked to have formed a decent partnership.

Still think we need another striker

Carrow89 wrote the following post at 2017-07-29 8:08 PM:

Carrow89 wrote:

I cannot see Zimmerman, Husband and even Martin at RB being first choice. We still have Hoolahan, Oliveira, Naismith and PricharD to be fitted in, so nothing to panic about at the moment.

But you are panicking. Were Zimmerman, Husband and Martin troubled at all by Brighton and particularly Murray? No, they all looked very comfortable, on and off the ball, so I would suggest that will be the defensive formation next week. Klose and Pinto won''t be ready for several weeks, and that''s from the coach......

I know it was a friendly, but oh, where did they get that referee.? Poor. Not much, shocking.

First 20 minutes the ball never left the turf once, passed around well, if the move faltered just came back and tried again. Brighton had the one chance which was a bit lucky, thought we were by far the better team. If I was a betting man I''d do the double of Brighton and Binner''s down by Easter. We going to struggle to hang onto Madison.

Perhaps Wildschut has been allowed to find his perfect position under Farke? That might explain his sudden re emergence and improved performances. He''s powerful, fast, does his defensive work and is best at carrying the ball forward, something he can be more effective at further down the pitch, instead of playing high like under AN and relying on technique which he isn''t that blessed with.

His passing and final ball are good enough for a wing back and the best parts of his game are more useful there. You worry about his one on one defending a bit, but hopefully they''re working on it in training, he''ll always have a CB stepping into a 3/4 position behind him in a 352 as well to give him added cover. Pinto isn''t particularly good defensively either but does a job well enough in this league so Wildschut offers some good competition in that position, with Martin as emergency cover we won''t need another RB.

Shows inventiveness from Farke as well

City 2nd - Farke said Pinto will start training Monday and hopes to be in contention for Sat as will Wes

Diane wrote the following post at 2017-07-30 12:12 AM:

City 2nd - Farke said Pinto will start training Monday and hopes to be in contention for Sat as will Wes

Yes I heard what he said Diane, but do you see him playing a player or two who are way behind in fitness compared to others, having missed most of pre season.......and he did say as much!

I have an idea his staring 11 today, and most of them stayed on for 70+ minutes, will start at Fulham. One less keeper on the bench, which will be filled by Josh.

[quote user="Jools"]Norwich City 4-1-4-1 football formation[/quote]Oh well, got that wrong - I do hope Farke goes with his preferred 4-1-4-1 and fields Martin at RB in Pinto''s absence though -- Martin made several errors today and I''ll be staggered if we have yet another manager who fails to recognise that Martin is not suited to a CB role.So, the above line-up and formation for Fulham please, accept Oliveira for Jerome and Pinto if fully fit for Martin.

[quote user="Van wink"]Last time we played that well pre season Gunny was in charge.....oh!

Maddison excellent performance and my MOM, not sure if they awarded one.

Very fluid structure, seemed to be overloading right side of field when going forward. Brighton seemed a bit out thought.

Also expect a few training ground moves to appear at set piece this season.

Sat in the Jarrold for a treat before retiring to my usual seat, lovely to hear the moaning " get it forward" when playing nice possession football.

I think we looked comfortable with this style of play.[/quote]That could be the biggest frustration for me this season - I was saying much the same thing to my mates.

My observations from Saturday:

Defensively very confident with the ball, mainly due to a lot of movement off the ball to enable options for passes - including to Gunn. Once the league starts, we''ll see teams press us harder when we''re in possession, so we''ll need to keep that up.

Midfield options: Reed, Vrancic, Watkins all look excellent. Maddison very confident on the ball and got kicked to bits - I''m surprised the ref didn''t book any or speak to the bench to ask them to substitute a player. The worst tackle looked to be one on Reed (I think), where he seemed to go over the top of the ball and into him. My only minor gripe was that I thought we didn''t seem to have a lot of width.

In terms of first choice striker, I don''t think there''s much between Jerome and Oliveira. Jerome''s movement was as good as usual, whereas Oliveira''s eye for goal is better - a thunderous strike that hit the post.

With Wes, Pinto, Klose, Pritchard, Murphy and Naismith to come into that squad, we''re doing ok.

I''m not sure how good the German teams strike-forces were but I don''t think Brighton''s was up to much, so in pre-season friendly''s I don''t think our new defence has really been tested.