Sign in to follow this  
Dicky

Turning Point

OK, all you whingers, moaners, bashers et al.  Let''s enjoy the moment.  We beat the scum at Portman Road. 

3 loan signings - beat the scum at Portman Road - Hucks scores again.  e i e i e i o, up the football league we go.

dicky

it is, as always, the main event of  the season to stuff the arrogant scummers and silence them for a few months (not that they are vocal at matches anyway), but the three loan signings in the team concern me ...

not because they didn''t contribute, they obviously did, but why weren''t we at full strength and therefore of need of them?  Injuries?  Why do we get so many at Colney?  This year''s loanees seem to be shaping up well, Lisbie had a hatfull of chances in the first part of the first half, which set the tone of the match, davenport is a natural obviously and it is a shame he''s not going to be here for longer - but i am alarmed that our regular players didn''t do all this themselves

yes, i know, we should have bought more wisely (or retained a few in the close season), it was a great result and not taking anything away from that, but it all seems to be just struggling from week to week or game to game, no build up of wins, confidence etc

maybe that is about to happen now, i hope so and also i dearly hope that team can play consistently for 90 mins, that isn''t just down to them but requires adequate coaching from the management

as for hucks, getting us out of jail yet again, he is GOD

I thought we rode our luck at times but a win is a win and we will take it!

1 game hasnt changed my opinion of Worthy, Lets see how we do in our next 3 or 4 games, starting on Tuesday against Northampton. We have a record of coming a Cropper in the cups against lesser opposition and whilst it might not matter so much this time round id like to see us get a win.

Next Saturday will be a test against Reading, followed by Hull, we need to play those games in the same manner we played today, take it to them and force them into mistakes and rash clearences/challenges etc and then reap the rewards.

If we dont build on todays result then its all for nothing as its only bought Worthy just a few more weeks.. the board will point to todays game though as a "saving grace" for him if the rest of the season doesnt go the way we want it to

Although I''m chuffed to bits that we won today, I think that it may well just be papering over the cracks - the huge problems that have developed over the past 12 months won''t just disappear after one result. We played against 10 men for the majority of the match and yet we were still outplayed and hanging on for dear life at the end, when we should have killed off the game easily.

One thing the team desperately needs is confidence and this was a fantastic result in our most difficult away game at a time when we were on a miserable run.

Congratulations all round, and to Worthy too for having the courage to make changes and obviously getting the team playing well again with passion (though if they couldn''t do it yesterday, would they ever?)

I do hope this gives them the springboard for a good run. A result against Northampton will be a good lead in to the next eight games none of which look horrendous.

However I am a bit worried to hear that we got bossed around again in the second half but I think we should expect that from a home side behind in a local derby: 1-0 is a difficult score really cos you don''t know whether o take what you have or go for it.

Interested to see Hughes being made Captain- wouldn''t have been my choice, but he''s a feisty player and should get the team fired up (if not sent off!!)

I think it''s true to say that this has to be the start of season for us.  A good run of results is what''s needed now and not to capitulate in the next league game.

Anyway I know it''s only one win but Worthy has come in for lots of  criticism (some being unfair)but he made some very, very brave decisions yesterday and he deserves his plaudits when they are due.  He could have come undone big style yesterday if it had all gone wrong.  Dropping Flem and Shackell and not recalling Hux, can you imagine what it would have been like if we had lost?  The man well and truly put his head on chopping block and he really has "Stood up and been counted".  Now I know we only beat a 10-man, poor Ipsw*ch side but at the end of the day, all you can do is beat the team you are playing.

Ps. I really hope the Doc is given a long run in the team in a stable partnership, with confidence I think he will prove to be a very good defender for us.  As I have said before we are going to be facing strikers in this league who are pretty much just thugs and I think the Doc is well equipped to deal with these sort of players.

it was a good result and some good individual performances but lets not get too carried away (like some did after Plymouth). After all, we were only playing 10 men and were hanging-on for much of the second half. We''re still only 3 points from the bottom of the table. There''s more knee-jerking going on than in the Birdie Song. Let''s see what happens vs Reading & Hull. 6 pts from those games might make up for the poor performances vs Crewe, Coventry & Leeds.

" yet we were still outplayed and hanging on for dear life at the end, "

eh, you been at the bin board ?

We missed a hatful. Lisbie may well have scored had he not stopped for the whistle in the crowd. Huckerby skying one over the bar from a couple of yards out, Safri missing on a one to one.

Of course the binners were going to throw everything at us once they were behind but silly talk of hanging on or domination is nonsense.

Sundays game looks like it might have solved the defence. What needs solving is at the other end. We certainly have the quality but the faith, belief or competence is not there. Not sure why but I''ve got a funny feeling that bit by bit the jigsaw is fitting together. May not be the team we expected and it maybe missing a few favouites and regulars but come Xmas we are going to look alot different.

Now lets wipe away Northampton. Sod the fixture congestion/distraction I for one would welcome a bit of a cup run*

* cynics might suggest that on past form we are on a cup run having got through the first round !

MadDan, you''re seriously starting to get on my wick with your attitude - if you don''t agree with the contant of a post, you''re arrogant and rude to the poster. That''s not the way it works on this Board. If you don''t concur with what''s being said, I suggest that put your point across without being so sanctimonious. 

With reference to Dicky''s original post -

"Let''s enjoy the moment"

Let''s trust that it wasn''t only a moment and that we can now embark upon a run of results conducive the quality of our squad.

"3 loan players"

If those 3 were a major factor in the result, what do we do when the loans for Lisbee and Davenport end? Isn''t there a maximum period that they can stay even if Lisbee''s one month is extended? I seem to remember that players signed in such circumstances can only stay a maximum of 3 months?