Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Tristan Abrahams signs

Certainly looks to be in a long line of younger players City have signed, with an eye to the future.Most who will be out on loan this season with the aim of following the likes of the two Murphy''s, Godfrey, Thompson and Lewis. Even Toffolo nad Mathews hopefully.I think the idea of bringing players through as kids is not going to be the way, See what lads like the above can be targetted when they are in their late teens then sign then - as with Maddison in some ways.Well done to all thise involved in this, sure seems part of a much longer development and prospect for the club.Cat 1 is paying off.

Abrahams will be loaned back to Leyton Orient for the season, but will be available to train with and feature for City’s U23s.

How can he be loaned back to orient, but feature for City’s U23s?

Something/somebody seems to be leading us to pick up these youngsters on a consistent basis.

Starting with McGrandles, to my memory, it has carried on with Thompson, Godfrey, Ebou Adams and the jewel in the crown, young Madisson.

This boy, a young striker from Belgium(?) The youngster from Liverpool can be added to the list.

(I''ve likely missed one out.)

What a heartwarming policy. Is it partly due to our academy status? Never known it before at the club.

All of them seem to come with promise and good write-ups which makes it a win-win situation. If they don''t make it with us then they will likely have a decent sell-on value.

Supplemented by our own in-house youngsters (especially Efete and Lewis) the youth policy at Carrow Road continues to buzz, which has no negatives whatsoever in my thinking.

I believe Efete was with Palace previously. There are also a number of others who have recently joined. I believe that Cat 1 allows us to cast our net wider, and with the higher level of coaching this also affordsAs to playing for both Orient and the U23s the latter will be playing their home hames at Cr on a sunday so I''m sure a 19 year old is up to two games. I certainly was at that age.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Something/somebody seems to be leading us to pick up these youngsters on a consistent basis.

Starting with McGrandles, to my memory, it has carried on with Thompson, Godfrey, Ebou Adams and the jewel in the crown, young Madisson.

This boy, a young striker from Belgium(?) The youngster from Liverpool can be added to the list.

(I''ve likely missed one out.)

What a heartwarming policy. Is it partly due to our academy status? Never known it before at the club.

All of them seem to come with promise and good write-ups which makes it a win-win situation. If they don''t make it with us then they will likely have a decent sell-on value.

Supplemented by our own in-house youngsters (especially Efete and Lewis) the youth policy at Carrow Road continues to buzz, which has no negatives whatsoever in my thinking.[/quote]Given Webber''s background in youth recruitment at Liverpool, and his appointment of Keiran Scott and Chris Badlan as head of UK and European recruitment respectively, who he worked with at Wolves (I believe primarily in youth recruitment), I think youth will be the focus of our recruitment.It''ll be interesting to see if we sign anyone that isn''t from a German league or a youth player.

Watkins, Husbandotherwise finances will dictate us following your thoughts

That''s what I keep saying, it''ll be good to sign a proven player at this or PL level!!

Did we sign a young (16yo or so) Icelandic striker a few months back too? Or did I imagine that?

"That''s what I keep saying, it''ll be good to sign a proven player at this or PL level!!"

Windshutt , Watkins, Husband, Reed?

A bit of a scatter gun strategy sign shed loads of young kids and a couple may come off. Nothing wrong with the tactic but nothing to get excited about in the short term with this lad. I wish him all the best but a couple of goals in league 2 is a modest record but with age on his side he can build on it

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"That''s what I keep saying, it''ll be good to sign a proven player at this or PL level!!"

Windshutt , Watkins, Husband, Reed?[/quote]

Would you say they are ''all'' proven?

Windshutt - Not proven. Maybe League 1!

Watkins - Maybe at Championship.

Husband - struggled to get a regular starting place.

Reed - on loan and not proven.....yet.

I am on about players being absolutely proven at this level. Worked for Newcastle last season. Albeit they had a bit more money. I''m optimistic for this season but the experience of our squad does worry me esp at the back.

I am on about players being absolutely proven at this level. Worked for Newcastle last season. Albeit they had a bit more money. I''m optimistic for this season but the experience of our squad does worry me esp at the back.

Martin, Hoolahan, Naismith, Klose, Pinto, Jerome.

Thats a fairly decent backbone of experience.

Tell me why we need to make a signing with more Champ or Prem experience?

We had this endless whine when we first went up in 2011. Never explaining how a player becomes experienced.We had plenty of (PL) experienced players last season yet didn''t even make the playoffs.It is almost all about motivation and performance. Lambert took a squad who had just been stuffed 7-1 at home to the title. Saunders took a bunch of ''average'' players to the title. Clough was remembered for putting a team of almost nobodies to domestic and international titles.What real PL experience has Jacob Murphy. Where is he know.It is football, much the same the world over. This constant myth about players/magaers needing to be experienced in certainleagues is bo llox.Much will depend this season on own players giving 100% for as near 100% of the time as possible. That appears to be Frake''s mantra. One that I have no doubt will take us u.

Wildschut is a proven performer at this level.

In fact of the main 11 I''d say the vast majority are, only really Gunn and the German league lads unproven at this level.

[quote user="Davo"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]"That''s what I keep saying, it''ll be good to sign a proven player at this or PL level!!"

I am on about players being absolutely proven at this level. Worked for Newcastle last season. Albeit they had a bit more money. I''m optimistic for this season but the experience of our squad does worry me esp at the back.[/quote]
I presume you''re on a wind up because after last season it should be evident to every Norwich fan that you can''t rely on ''experience'' to get you promoted on it''s own.
Also I presume you''re purposefully downplaying the Newcaslte ''had a bit more money'' aspect to try and relate us to them even though we are financially incomparable.

[quote user="Davo"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]"That''s what I keep saying, it''ll be good to sign a proven player at this or PL level!!"

I am on about players being absolutely proven at this level. Worked for Newcastle last season. Albeit they had a bit more money. I''m optimistic for this season but the experience of our squad does worry me esp at the back.[/quote]

"Reed - On loan and unproven " check out the number of games played plus you obviously weren''t at CR Saturday, he ran the game in front of the back three and when Tettey came on he moved further upfield, Brighton couldn''t get near him.

The Icelandic midfielders are Isak Thorvaldsson (u16) and Ágúst Eðvald Hlynsson..

Hlynsson has been with us for a while and is more of an attacking midfielder.

We also signed RoI u17 international striker Adam Idah..

We certainly seem to be planning for the future.

for me there is no doubt that both Franke and Vrancic are proven at "this level" having performed to a decent standard in Germany.

The only question is how they adapt to the english disease in the championship.

I am on about players being absolutely proven at this level. Worked for Newcastle last season. Albeit they had a bit more money. I''m optimistic for this season but the experience of our squad does worry me esp at the back.[/quote]Reed has played Premiership football for Southampton on more than one occasion. Take your point that it doesn''t necessarily mean he''s ''proven'' but he has played at a better level than where we are currently, albeit not consistently.

I believe Webber has previously said that we are looking to sign players that represent value for money. On the whole proven Premier League / Championship players don''t fall in to this category.

If the club can identify those players that have the quality to make the step up for less money then purchasing more expensive established players then it''s a win-win. Although this is easier said then done!

[quote user="mre2"]I believe Webber has previously said that we are looking to sign players that represent value for money. On the whole proven Premier League / Championship players don''t fall in to this category.

If the club can identify those players that have the quality to make the step up for less money then purchasing more expensive established players then it''s a win-win. Although this is easier said then done![/quote]How proven wre Hoolahan and Holt when we signed them ?Against internationals like VOO, RVW and Fer ?As already said there was clearly a lack of motivation, commitment, bellief in the squad last season - amongst clearly proven players. It is not systems, formations, proven players who win it is about how they apply themselves on the pitch. That is very much down to the manager and coaching staff.My understanding was that Lambert said little right before the game, as did Clough. If the players were not ''up for it'' then it was too late then. Read up on Roberts comments (?) about the 2004/5 squad and the ''togetherness'' they had.Cup upsets are often a case of one side wanting it more than the other. Farke''s job is to get his squad to want it more for 46 games. You don''t need billy big boll ox and any number of show ponies to achive that.

I don''t understand the negativity from some regarding this signing.This is obviously about signing a player with some potential, but who is clearly nowhere near the first team, and who we can develop and either then get a good player in the future, or possibly a solid sale price if he doesn''t rise to the level required.There are literally almost no downsides to signings like this, and whilst like other fans I''d like to see a couple more first team additions, I''m certainly not going to use a new youngster''s signing thread as a means to complain...

Just so I''m clear, I''m not negitive at all about any of our signings. I think the summer spending on youth and first team has been spot on and I''m excited about this season.

I think for me, it would have been great to have signed a name ''I'' have heard of....I would like to see someone like Naki Wells who is proven at this level. That said transfer fee / wages may be an issue.

I think it''s great that we are investing in youth and also good to see our current squad is much younger than last season. We needed to get rid of the dead wood!

I am positive.

[quote user="CANARYKING"][quote user="Davo"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]"That''s what I keep saying, it''ll be good to sign a proven player at this or PL level!!"

"Reed - On loan and unproven " check out the number of games played plus you obviously weren''t at CR Saturday, he ran the game in front of the back three and when Tettey came on he moved further upfield, Brighton couldn''t get near him.[/quote]

It''s great to hear CK. long may it continue. I wasn''t there and tried to stream from Tenerife but failed. I will be there next week. Can''t wait to watch them all, Reed especially. 👍

I like this policy of signing young, promising players. If even a couple of them come off then it will have paid for itself and I think the philosophy of having our "back up" players as young guys keen to break into the team rather than the likes of Turner and Bassong can only be a good thing.

With this one, even with an option for a 1 year extension it seems to me that the contract length is a bit short given we are loaning him back for the full season but perhaps that''s is hedging our bets.