Sign in to follow this  
Mutley

Greater Anglia

I underestimated the travel time from Putney Bridge to Liverpool Street for Saturday and will not make it across London in time for the train back. If I catch the next train will I get charged on the train? I''m not a regular traveller as I''m sure you''ve guessed. Thanks in advance.

Depends what sort of ticket you''ve got. Advance with a specific time has to be used on that, and only that train. You may be able to get some of the cost back for a later train if you ask nicely at the ticket office, but sooner the better.

If you don''t have a ticket for the exact journey & times that you''ve booked and you get checked whilst on the train you will get a fine (minimum £25) plus have to pay full wack for a new ticket.In my experience there are a lot more checks by ticket inspectors that there were a year ago.

Actually they do have a degree of leeway if you explain when you get to Liverpool St and it''s a bit late. It''s not actually that long a tube ride tho, c40mins and if I was on the 6pm for example I''d still hope to make it....just avoid Waterloo as that''s where the crappy stuff is for the next month.

I assume you have an advance with a specific time. What time is your train from Liverpool St? If it''s 18:00, I would think you could make it. You might be best to be a plastic and slip out 5 mins early as you aren''t too familiar with the tube.

What tube route were you thinking of taking? Putney Bridge to Earls Ct / then east bound District line (changing onto circle line anti-clockwise at some point)? As Branston says, it can be done in about 40 mins, but with a walk from the ground, and train changes, you can''t always guarantee.

Nuff Said''s suggestion seems to be worth a try first. If the ticket office won''t help, you could just buy another advanced single ticket (LST - Nor), today for a later train, while they are cheap.

If your train is 17:30 from Liverpool St, then I''d definitely just get another advanced single for something like the 18:30, in the event that the ticket office won''t help.

You''d struggle to get from Craven cottage to Liverpool Street for 6pm Peter- it''s a decent poke from the ground to the station, queues to get on the train and district line is exceptionally slow.

To the OP- it can be quicker to jump a district line going to Edgeware Road and change for the central at Notting Hill Gate.

I lived very close to Putney Bridge, but it was over 20 years ago now. I did numerous trips to liverpool St. and I do seem to remember going for the central line option quite often, changing at Notting Hill. The one route i never liked was going to Edgware road and waiting for an eastbound train. That always seemed the slowest way. Sort of thing I have kind of forgotten.

I would probably just play it safe and get another cheap advanced for a later train. If the liverpool st. staff don''t let you on a later train, then you are left with having to buy an expensive single. Although you should try to see if the ticket office will change first.

Greater Anglia will not help you. I travel for work on these trains a lot and have missed trains due to meetings over running etc. Always had to buy a new ticket.

That''s probably not a bad idea, Peter; it''s certainly about 45 mins on the tube from Putney Bridge + the walk from the ground so would be tight

[quote user="Captain Birdseye"]Buy an off peak first class ticket it doesn''t cost that much and keeps you away from the riff raff[/quote]What about staying at home and watching a stream? You''d be even further away from the "riff raff".

A big thanks to you all for the information supplied. I was hoping to make the 1800 out of LS but will now book a later train as I do not want to miss the mass celebrations at the end after our 3-0 win (cough cough). What a lovely change it would be to return with three points from Craven Cottage!

I have an advance ticket to Manningtree via trainline that cost £8 and the cost of making a change or requesting a refund is £10 so its a no brainer. How on earth can that fee be justified?

I''ll stay with the rip raff Captain Birdseye unless you are offering to pay to go into first class!

Thanks again to you all. OTBC

Considering it costs me (well, my employer) nearly £200 if I get a peak-time return ticket to London from Derby in the week, £8 sounds like a bargain!

Recommend you don''t use Trainline in future as they charge booking fees. You can buy the exact same advance fares on any train operating company website (e.g. Greater Anglia''s) with no fees. However the £10 fee to amend tickets is an industry standard.