Sign in to follow this  
blacko

Offside

Why oh why do our players consistently get offside. Ok Ashton is not the fastest in the league, but he can at least keep an eye on the defenders, but Hucks - no excuse- it was ridiculous yesterday at times and a total waste of possession. Sort it out Worthy!

I find it strange that the fastest players get offside the most!  Hucks can skin most defenders, so why does he get himself into offside positions?  If he could just look across the line more, I''m damn sure we''d score more goals.

I could kind of understand it with Iwan, as he needed a five yard head start!

Ironically I don''t think Ipswich were playing the offside trap - their defenders were just far too slow and our strikers couldn''t account for their lack of pace at the back which is why we always seemed to be offside.

There were a few dodgy calls too. The lino got so used to putting his flag up that he was doing it everytime Norwich broke, regardless of whether it was actually offside or not. I recall at least five times when Hucks/Ashton had been level with the defence when the ball was played but the lino just kept putting his flag up

In my opinion it is the slow delivery of the pass from the defence or midfield, this is expected earlier by our fast moving forward line.  Often the pass is from front to rear rather than diagonal which is much harder for a forward runner to read, and unfortunately is less likely to include more than one of the forward runners. It is the time of delivery that is anticipated by the front men, in our case, much too soon.   Again this should be ironed out on the training ground IMHO!!!

its been a mix of a few things:

1) The team seem to take a while going foward, so by the midfield has decided to play the ball the striker started his run before the ball was played (about 10 minutes) and is then caught offside

2) In the premier league, the defence sits back, giving us space to attack. in the championship teams dont, after being used to that space the players continue to play the same, although at this level its no good, therefore getting us caught offside far too much

In the chapionship its all rush rush rush, no time on the ball aswell, so this might have something to do with it, rush passing and not timing the through ball correctly

I think Beelsie''s right - the passes are often just a beat too late. It''s not fair to put all the blame on the receiver.

And how can Worthy sort it out? It''s the players'' responsibility to make the correct decision, whether it be to pass or to make a run. But it''s interesting to read Doherty''s comment that the players had been working in training on diagonal passes up to the strikers. That''s the first evidence I''ve seen that they practice attacking strategies. And the first evidence on the pitch that they do, too!

Can anyone remember Ian Crook? The timing of his passing was excellent which resulted in many ''breakaway'' goals - oh for a Crook Mk2.

PS He had to pass early ''cos he was too slow to run very far without being tackled.

[quote]Can anyone remember Ian Crook? The timing of his passing was excellent which resulted in many ''breakaway'' goals - oh for a Crook Mk2. PS He had to pass early ''cos he was too slow to run very far with...[/quote]

Oh yes - what would we do with a creative midfielder!!  I do agree that the number of times an opening has been lost because the pass has been delayed in an enormous problem.

However the players being caught offside must be aware by now that the ball islikely to arrive later than they may want, ad should wait to move until the ball has been passed.  Hux, Ashton and Leon are all guilty of this even when looking across the defensive line.  Look at lisbie run for the sending off - he started the run deeper and was at full pelt when the ball was passed - so often hux is on the should of the defender waitingto start - how about starting teh run earlier but from a deeper position - less likely to be caught and more pace at the right time - tough to do but they cant seem to get it right when looking across the line so try a change in tactics.

OTBC