Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Shackell

Is anybody else feeling desperately sorry for the lad? I mean he hasn''t even got on the bench for the last 5 odd games.

When I first saw this guy i really thought we had a talent here. Seein bits of him in pre-season and bits at the beginning I thought he was a solid pacy defender, all be it with no experience. He had an OUTSTANDING game against Cardiff. Really b****dy good and if it hadn''t been Hucks last game Shackell would have grabbed all of the headlines. He kept Earnshaw and Thorne (with the help of Flem) at bay superbly. And yet we have seen nothing of him since. Don''t get me wrong I know that players need experience. But if Worthy isn''t giving him a run out against the Bradfrord''s and Derby''s then he surely won''t get much experience against the Chelsea''s and Man Utd''s next season either. I''m not necessarily saying drop Malk or Flem but at least put him on the bench and on the coach and give him a 10/15 minute run out at the end. Please????

Whilst this is undoubtedly a very sensible view, I don''t think dear old Mr Worthington has got to grips with the finer nuances of player introduction yet. Hopefully Shackell will feature before he gets too brassed off. Then again he''s only young and he might be feeling quite content. Having said all that swapping a central defender with 15 mins to go is always going to be risky even with a two goal lead. Can you imagine the uproar if it back fired!

I''m afraid that the only chance Shackell will get is if at least one of our central defenders is out with an injury. I would love to know how Shackell feels at the moment as he was outstanding against 2 of the best strikers in the first division when we played Cardiff, and his reward since then has been a place on the bench at Everton.

I still cannot see why we cannot give him another start and say put Malky on the bench. If it doesn''t work then bring Malky on. Perhaps it needs another club to show an interest in buying him, then Worthy might start to realise what a quality defender he is leaving out in the cold.

Imagine if he makes a few mistakes that costs us the lead in a few games? Malky makes one mistake, but it''s like water off a ducks back, he just gets straight on. If Shackell was to lose his confidence, with our fans the way they are, it could be curtains for his promising career before it even started.

He is our third choice centre back, and that''s not bad for a 22(?) year old at a club that''s top of the 1st Div with one the best defences in the league.